Mobil claims sludge removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this info over the weekend and thought that I should pop-in to share. Mobil is claiming (or implying) that their High Mileage oils will clean dirty engines.

Quote from Mobil Clean High Mileage FAQ :

"if you believe your engine may have sludge through less-than-adequate maintenance practices, Mobil 1 High Mileage may be the more suitable selection. Mobil 1 High Mileage helps reduce the sludge that other oils can leave behind which can result in extended engine life. For severe cases where sludge and other heavy deposits are present, shorter oil change intervals of 3,000 miles are recommended as cleanup proceeds. "

Quote from Mobil1 High Mileage 10W30 :

"Mobil 1 High Mileage is designed especially for engines where conventional oil has been used, and where these conditions have been experienced:

* Severe Service
* Extended Oil Drains
* Poor Maintenance
* Multiple Owners "

Quote from Mobil1 High Mileage 10W40 :

"Reduces the sludge and deposits conventional oils can leave behind"

They have a big product line and are trying to keep a customer with the Mobil 1 line of products. You can't expect them to recommend a product other than Mobil 1 can you? Offer the same question to Castrol, Amsoil etc and you're sure to get a similar answer.

M1 FAQs says it uses fully synthetic base stocks including PAOs. Flame on!

Quote:

"Reduces the sludge and deposits conventional oils can leave behind"

Or the "sludge and deposits" that Mobil 1 EP left behind in their Las Vegas Taxi test.
crackmeup.gif

There was sure enough of both in the engine that they tore down and showed in the video that their marketing department last did.
thumbsup.gif

Watch, you will read right here some folks who get cleaning with normal Mobil 1, so their "claims" about Mobil 1 HM must be true.
smirk.gif

At least Castrol and Halovine is doing the "Sludge" marketing with their lowest cost oils.

Wonder how that is???
shocked.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

While some people make silly responses to threads, some great oils are being made, unbeknownst to them.

I'm going to buy and test this new product line. Have you seen buster's thread showing the Product Data Sheets for these oils, GMorg? They are very impressive looking based on that. They do have quite a bit of ash forming additives so these oils are somewhat unique for passenger car motor oils.

I think a HM oil is a good fit for the M1 product line and fully expect the product to perform as advertised.

The product data sheet does not list TBN, but a good dose of calcium and more additive for soluability will produce a formulation that has the ability to remove existing engine deposits & sludge, depending on the severity...

Delvac 1 has always been touted as an option to clean up a gasoline motor, although a pricey one, but it demonstrates how the combination of synthetic base oils and the right additives can produce a cleaning effect.

Is there really any benefit of using a HM oil over a regular dino oil even with a so call high mileage car (say from 100k to 200k for examples)?

I'm going with Maxlife in the wifes Toyota at 100k just for that reason. Seems on this forum all the Maxlife guys who use it love it and the AutoRX guys say it will ruin your engine....Hmmmmm. Let's see the actual users of HM oils say they work very well at cleaning and the guy's who SELL cleaners say just the opposite.....gee wonder why that is??

Well, if these new Mobil HM oils really will keep engines clean and maybe even clean somewhat dirty engines that has to be good. I like using Auto-RX in maintenance doses to keep an engine clean and also I do an Auto-RX cleanign every 25,000 miles. How do these oils work with Auto-RX?

My 1995 LT1 with 105,000 miles had a thin layer of sludge;7,000 mile OCIs. Used M1 since the first oil change. Also the timing set wear was no better than you would expect with dino. The wear situation has been noticed with other LT1 owners. I've pretty much removed it from my shopping list;especially with their new "improved" pricing.

Quote:

I'm wondering how Bill in Utah gets away with bashing Mobil 1 when the rest of us get flamed for it.
cool.gif

Not my fault that Mobil does dumb marketing.
bop.gif

Go look at the Las vegas videos. There was sludge/varnish in the Mobil 1 engine that they ran.

Do you think its a fair test to run Conventional oil 15,000 miles along side Mobil 1?

Its not like Mobil 1 is 2-3 times more expensive.

Bad test. Bad marketing.
smirk.gif

Take care, Bill

patriot.gif

I make a single post in a week, a post to share some info, and I am already wading through garbage.

PT1:
You claim that "AutoRX guys say it(Valvovline MaxLife) will ruin your engine". Please prove that statement or recognize that your reputation shrinks with each post you make.

You also write that "I'm going with Maxlife in the wifes Toyota at 100k just for that reason." Please explain what a Valvoline product has to do with Mobil's claims. I hope that you recognize that Mobil's claims have nothing to do with Ashland's products. Surely you do not think that the rest of us as so unobservent that we would accept the irrational connection that you have made.

The following seems alot like slander to me, why is it tolerated here?

"Hmmmmm. Let's see the actual users of HM oils say they work very well at cleaning and the guy's who SELL cleaners say just the opposite.....gee wonder why that is?"

Quote:

I make a single post in a week, a post to share some info, and I am already wading through garbage.

PT1:
You claim that "AutoRX guys say it(Valvovline MaxLife) will ruin your engine". Please prove that statement or recognize that your reputation shrinks with each post you make.

You also write that "I'm going with Maxlife in the wifes Toyota at 100k just for that reason." Please explain what a Valvoline product has to do with Mobil's claims. I hope that you recognize that Mobil's claims have nothing to do with Ashland's products. Surely you do not think that the rest of us as so unobservent that we would accept the irrational connection that you have made.

The following seems alot like slander to me, why is it tolerated here?

"Hmmmmm. Let's see the actual users of HM oils say they work very well at cleaning and the guy's who SELL cleaners say just the opposite.....gee wonder why that is?"

Of course Mobil 1 is saying change the Mobil 1 HM oil at 3K intervals in a sludged engine to clean better.

I would think that it wouldn't take long for the cost of the extra Mobil 1 HM to exceed the cost of ARX.

I think ARX is a very good product. I used to think that Mobil 1 was a very good product.

Both companies get a bit carried away with their marketing, but Mobil 1's is ever so sleazy and calculated.

I do like the concept of High Mileage oils...even if the oil companies are taking advantage of the idea as a profit center. The idea of extra or special additives for older engines does seem valid.

Last edited:
Quote:

I'm wondering how Bill in Utah gets away with bashing Mobil 1 when the rest of us get flamed for it.
cool.gif

Smple,because Bill's opinions/comments are based on his real world experience and observation, not simply regurgitating other peoples opinions and posting 200-300 times a month in order to appear knowledgable.

Quote:

"if you believe your engine may have sludge through less-than-adequate maintenance practices, Mobil 1 High Mileage may be the more suitable selection. Mobil 1 High Mileage helps reduce the sludge that other oils can leave behind which can result in extended engine life. For severe cases where sludge and other heavy deposits are present, shorter oil change intervals of 3,000 miles are recommended as cleanup proceeds. "

I see nothing new here. Back in the day of the Tri-Syn formula, where they used both Esters and ANs, I'm sure you would see the same cleaning effect. Note how in the past Mobil (as opposed to Exxon-Mobil today) use to recommend a short first interval when switching over from conventional. It's like Exxon-Mobil took 2-steps back and 1-step forward here.

On the other hand, at first glance, Exxon-Mobil's M1 10w30 HM looks to be a very stout oil. It'll be interesting to see a VOA and UOAs on it. IMHO, this is how they should of been building the M1 EP line from the get-go. The current M1 line should of been built like the current M1 EP SM/GF-4 line. But since Exxon-Mobil's marketing department seems to always trump actual performance and what's best for the consumer, I'm not holding my breath.

A3, 11.79cst, 3.66 HT/HS - too bad it costs so much nowadays.

Code:

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 High Mileage oils meet or exceed the following industry specifications:

10W-30

ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

API SL,SJ,CF

Typical Properties

10W-30

SAE Grade

Viscosity, ASTM D 445

cSt @ 40º C 78.2

cSt @ 100º C 11.79