Mobil and their lies..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can find issues with all the companies. - Amsoil and the "4-ball wear BS", Castrol and the Group III charging it as it were a true synthetic", Mobil 1 with "Nothing outperforms M1" yada yada yada....Mobil is trying to distinguish itself from the crap that exists on the shelf at Walmart. Actually the new Dino/blends are great buys. But Castrol Syntec is a huge rip off. Go back and look at the UOA's of all non-German Syntec. Oil cuts out at very low mileage. I guess I look at it different. Mobil gives people the only true PAO on the shelf and I've yet to see proof that engines wear out any quicker due to +/- differences of 10ppm in Fe wear. Annoying YES, a problem? Not so sure.....on the fence at the moment.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SE05:
I appreciate marketing strategies as well as anyone, but i am offended by mobils newest adds and the information on thier web site that claims "we changed the standards" of OCI's with their new line of oils.

What a buch of ********. Manufactures ahave been recommending 7,500 mile OCI's FOR MANY YEARS, and now all of a sudden Mobil says they "changed the standards by offering a dino oil thats good for 5000 miles (they were already good for 7,500) , a synthetic blend thats good for 7,500 miles (thats what the dino oils were good for) and of course the new M1 EP.

So what new standards were set?

Absolutly none.

Entirely a marketing ploy and I dont appreciate beiong treated like a ******* and will no longer use thier products.

I think for sure there is a rubber ruler at work here and I think some of it is generated by the movement toward longer miles between oci''s.

I also think from the qwiky lubes own surveys that the average customer does a 5,000 mile OCI. They have of course positioned themselves to market every 3,000 miles. So in that sense they want to market to different targets than their surveys' indicate.

Mobil, obviously is marketing more toward the survey's average (5k) and 7.5k and car manufacturers specs and EP or extended (15,000 miles)

So for example none of this target marketing hits anything I drive or more directly appeals to me. Oyxmoronically after research almost all my cars have indicated some Mobil One product. So for example Honda Civic recommends 10,000 miles OCI's(with conventional oils!!) with an every other oil filter change. Toyota Landcruisers I have been running 15,000 oci's with Mobil One 5w30 for app 694,000 miles with absolutely no ill effects. Corvette oem recommended fill is Mobil One 5w30 with computer driven DIC, goes up to 15,000 miles OCI's. A TDI application I am working on 25,000 mile OCI's. So given their campaign, it is almost severely underwhelming.
smile.gif

So does it perform a needed service? Absolutely.

The area where I am in disagreement is that anybody who knows anything about cars and oils already is aware that 3000 mile change intervals are not "standard practice" but more towards overkill/piece of mind and what is recommended by "Jiffy Lube" is not standard practice, but just what they say to , of course, make more profits.

I have to assume most intelligent people will take the work of thier owners manual over "jiffy lube".

I dont want to turn this into a "severe service" OCI vs. "normal" OCI, as I have other thoughts on that, but is isnt relevant to this post.

Is mobil targeting the un -informed? Maybe.

If regular dino oil is good for 7,500 miles, (as proven by the engineers who build these things)why would mobil label the dino as "5000" and the blend as "7500"? I guess it all has to do with the warrenty they are offering, which I am not paying any attention to, as making a claim on most warrentys of this type is futile anyway.

quote:

The area where I am in disagreement is that anybody who knows anything about cars and oils already is aware that 3000 mile change intervals are not "standard practice" but more towards overkill/piece of mind and what is recommended by "Jiffy Lube" is not standard practice, but just what they say to , of course, make more profits.

Well - it all depends. There really are conditions where a 3000 mile oil change interval is a good idea. I had an oil company chemist tell me that he's seen what he considered "crappy" oil suitable for use after 10K miles, while "superior" oil was in bad shape after about 1200 miles. If you're driving through a dusty construction site every day, 3000 miles may not be enough.

quote:

I have to assume most intelligent people will take the work of thier owners manual over "jiffy lube".

I don't necessarily take the word of the owner's manual as gospel. Many don't recommend brake fluid changes (Toyota or GM for instance. Lots don't recommend regular transmission fluid changes either. I don't think that **NEVER** changing the transmission fluid or brake fluid is a good idea. These are not lifetime fluids, but some manufacturers are treating them as such.

quote:

I dont want to turn this into a "severe service" OCI vs. "normal" OCI, as I have other thoughts on that, but is isnt relevant to this post.

It is relevant when the aftermarket warranty gives a definition for severe service that differs.

quote:

Is mobil targeting the un -informed? Maybe.

If regular dino oil is good for 7,500 miles, (as proven by the engineers who build these things)why would mobil label the dino as "5000" and the blend as "7500"? I guess it all has to do with the warrenty they are offering, which I am not paying any attention to, as making a claim on most warrentys of this type is futile anyway.

It's a marketing exercise. The 3000 mile oil change interval promulgated by Pennzoil is another.

I'm not necessarily convinced that the manufacturer's 7500 mile oil change interval with minimum quality API SL/SM oil is ideal for the life of the car. It's a marketing point, like the 100K mile tuneup, where the manufacturer is reasonably sure that most of the owners making it through will not file an engine warranty claim.

I had an oil engineer say that the 7500 change was good, and he said if you are really that concerned about your oil, to use synthetics, but no reason to change it earlier.

I believe that oil doesnt "wear out", but gets dirty, so in severe dirty conditions it could be changed earlier.

Anyway, I guess you could look at it from the opposite point of view, as was pointed out, that mobile is trying to change the 3000 mindset to 5000.

But regardless, they always refer you back to the manufactures recomendation.

I just dont agree with their marketing strategy, but I suppose there are many ways to view it.

Not a rant against Mobil (which I think is a decent company):

Advertizing is like brainwashing. The more they can pound their propaganda into the heads of the masses, the more them asses will believe it. Maybe we all should switch to Schaeffers oil.

maybe i would buy schaeffers if it was available. is it priced competively? where do you get it?

What's a bigger lie?

Mobil saying that they will pay for post-warranty oil related repairs for up to 5000 miles after the last oil change.
--or--
Castrol showing a car that's been going around a track multiple times with only a quart of Syntec in the crankcase, but without showing the internals of engine after the stunt.

FWIW - unless I was travelling cross-country I wouldn't trust a "conventional" 5W-30 to last 7500 miles in a car. There are too many UOA reports that indicate that the oils have sheared down or thickened up.

quote:

Originally posted by y_p_w:

FWIW - unless I was travelling cross-country I wouldn't trust a "conventional" 5W-30 to last 7500 miles in a car. There are too many UOA reports that indicate that the oils have sheared down or thickened up.

Thats what oil does when it gets dirty, it thickens up.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
I tend to think highly of Mobil1, as they are one of the few oil companies NOT marketing group III as a 'synthetic'.

I agree, and if Im buying synthetic, will only buy M1 for that reason.

Do you know what other companies use only group 4 for thier synthetics?

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by y_p_w:

Thats what oil does when it gets dirty, it thickens up.

No, motor oil "oxidizes" not "gets dirty".

Thickening is due to oxidation, volatility and loss of TBN as it reaches the end of it's useful life.

so motor oil doesnt remove dirt from your engine? U might want to re-think that one chief.

My suggestion is that you loose the attitude...

And I'm not particularily fond of the term "chief", used in reference to me or anyone else on this forum.

Suggest you read this article on oxidation by a Chevron engineer.

http://www.noln.net/columns/1-05/chevrontexacojan05.html

per Dr. Jack Zakarian:

So what’s the bottom line when your customers ask you how often they should change their oil? My own personal experience (which is backed up by numerous scientific studies) is that engine oil continuously loses its effectiveness as mileage increases. The standard recommendation of 3,000 miles is certainly a good one. It may be possible to extend this interval, especially if a motorist uses a high quality oil and does not drive under severe conditions. However, more (rather than less) frequent oil changes are certainly a very cheap form of insurance when you have a large investment in your vehicle at stake.

So if the 3K oil change is still a commonly accepted practice in the industry, why isn't ExxonMobil setting a new standard with Clean 5000 & 7500?

the dirt is by products of combustion.

a chevron engineer recommends 3000 mile OCI. Boy, what a surpise...not.

My Ford recommend 5000 mile normal/3000 mile severe so I like the new way of thinking with mobile I can rest assured that I can go all the way in the normal OCI with no worries. People who drive a non US manufactured car/truck will most likely have a 7500 or more OCI like my wifes 2004 MPV from Mazda. The manual says 7500 normal/3000 severe OCI. I think Mobil is a great brand I like there motor oil alot and there fuel. I would pump it if I had a Mobil station near by. I persobally use Molbil 1 but if I used Mobil 5000 or 7500 I would not think I was getting ripped.

quote:

the dirt is by products of combustion.

a chevron engineer recommends 3000 mile OCI. Boy, what a surpise...not.

The partially unburned products of combustion are known as soot; this is not dirt. There are dispersants that keept the soot that gets in the oil from clumping together, and soot is not terribly dangerous as a result although a lot of people hate dark-looking oil because the associate the color with being "dirty". Soot does not "thicken up" the oil appreciably, but hydrocarbons oxidizing do. Motor oil volatility also contributes to thickening as it's the smaller molecules that tend to "burn off".

As far as the Chevron engineer goes - that might have been before the big move to group II/III base fluids that made for a more stable product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back