Mobil and Chevron dino. for 6 month OCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought a Chrysler Pacifica new in 2007. It has the 4.0L and requires 10w-30. When it was newer and my wife commuted 60 miles a day on the interstate, I used synthetic oil and changed around 4500. (Max mileage allowed under warranty was 5k, interestingly.) Now, the last few years, she's been able to stay home with our kids.That means a lot of short runs to school, etc., but few miles per month. So, I've gotten in the habit of 6 month OCIs and have used some Mobil 5000 and Chevron Supreme I've found on clearance or rebate.

I'm about to do an oil change and wonder what some here think of a conventional's ability to last 6 months in a moderate climate in a garage-kept family car. Mileage is usually between 2k and 3k in that span. FWIW, the car has 111k.

Last edited:
6 months/5k miles is perfect for a conventional. A synthetic would be overkill unless you change it once per year in your case.

Those oils you mention are no doubt premium conventionals - and someone in my family did 400k in a no good for nothing GM engine without a single repair with one of them ... both are great 5k oils ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Those oils you mention are no doubt premium conventionals - and someone in my family did 400k in a no good for nothing GM engine without a single repair with one of them ... both are great 5k oils ...

While I tend to agree with your assessment, I know of some people who insist that Chevron or Mobil "conventional" oils can't be as good because they cost less.

Chevron Supreme is a top notch oil as is the Mobil. No worries using those oils for the miles you stated.

With either of those maybe 5000 miles is more realistic; 6 months and only 3000 miles seems a bit early to me...

Just change at 5k and keep it topped off. Ignore the time factor - it's irrelevant for 99% of us.

Different strokes. The in town driving is more sever than highway driving. Go to WM and get the 5 quart synthetic jug of your choice and run that. Slightly better mpg may pay for the difference in pricing. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Chevron Supreme is a top notch oil as is the Mobil. No worries using those oils for the miles you stated.

+1000

Mobil Super 5000 and Chevron Supreme ... either one would be perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back