Mobil 5W-30, 4703mi - 2006 GM 5.3 ~130,000 total

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulk Mobil 5W-30 (non Dexos)

There is substantial idle time on this sample, like 4-6 hrs a day six days a week for about 60 days. About 3000 miles highway and the rest urban city.

This will probably be the last sample, the equipment is due for replacement. I was curious how the extended idle would impact the oil, seems to have handled it quite well.

C_TRUCK-edited3.jpg

The prior runs were QSAD (4700 run) and M1(5700 run).

Filter

Last edited:
So are you saying there is approximately 240 hours(low end) of idle time plus mileage on this sample.
And wear metals are unaffected when compared to previous samples.

I've got 2 5.3's and a 6.0 in my stable,and after seeing this I'm no longer even remotely concerned about my personal usage in relation to extend idling etc.
240 idle hours on the low end,plus miles accumulated and still has ample tbn to run at least a couple thousand more miles.
And it's not even dexos.
I may not be a fan of Mobil but it's real tough to say they make a bad product with results like this eh

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So are you saying there is approximately 240 hours(low end) of idle time plus mileage on this sample.

Assuming your math is right, yes. I did not keep exact figures, but that is roughly correct, just trying to give some idea... it did vary day to day.

Some tanks were less than half the normal fuel mileage if that helps any. (come to think of it, I could probably figure out how many gallons of fuel it burned)

The oil brand and type is according to the dealer, I'm sort of surprised it held up so well.

Mobil Super 5000. Darn good stuff. Who says 'plain old' GF-5/SN isnt up to task?

If I remember correctly, Ford's fleet division advises 1 hour idle time ~ 25 miles. Not sure about Chevrolet, but for comparison sake your looking at a sample of roughly 10,700 miles when all accounted for. On an SN bulk dino oil. On a notoriously "dirty" UOA signature engine. Yep, you got your money's worth.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
If I remember correctly, Ford's fleet division advises 1 hour idle time ~ 25 miles. Not sure about Chevrolet, but for comparison sake your looking at a sample of roughly 10,700 miles when all accounted for. On an SN bulk dino oil. On a notoriously "dirty" UOA signature engine. Yep, you got your money's worth.

That is interesting. I've been unable to find any similar information from GM on the web. I'll try asking my friends at the dealer next week. I would think driving at 25mph would be harder on it that the idle duty it does which is fairly low load (probably about like having the rear window defroster on). I was sort of thinking if it went 1700 miles at 50% fuel mileage then 1,703 x 2 = 3,406 + 3,000 = 6.406 truth is probably some where between the equivalent of 6,406 and 10,700

This vehicle does have a "change oil" light. It does not have the typical GM oil life monitor display in the odometer window. I've gotten different answers when I have asked if it actually monitors the oil or is just mileage based. It did not activate. It does also have heavy duty cooling and charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back