Mobil 5000 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
picked up 6qts of this at walmart yesterday, figured the price was hard to beat ($11 for a 5qt. jug). Anyways, has anyone had any luck running this any longer than 5,000miles? My driving does include some severe duty driving, my girlfriend as well. I havn't decided which vehicle I'm gonna use it in next, her explorer or my jeep. Havn't heard from to many guys running it though.

I think its great oil for 5K. But at that INCREADIBLY CHEAP PRICE, why try to push it beyond? Mobil says 5K, I take their word for it!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I think its great oil for 5K. But at that INCREADIBLY CHEAP PRICE, why try to push it beyond? Mobil says 5K, I take their word for it!
+1

'Buffman' has run this oil 3 times past 5k in a 2001 Cavalier, and the results were good. Results are in the UOA section.

Running it in our 4.6 crown vic
thumbsup2.gif

Good stuff!

I use it for break in oil in my vehicles before switching to synthetic. Really any of the dino 5w30 oils are good for 5000 miles. Go by price IMO.

All oil, engines, climates, and driving style combination are different. You might be able to go the 5K, or less or more...

I would do a UOA on one 5K run to find out how it's faring in your "conditions" before deciding to go further than 5K.

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
'Buffman' has run this oil 3 times past 5k in a 2001 Cavalier, and the results were good. Results are in the UOA section.

All to his own, but I just don't get this. M 5000 costs $11, but people want to push it beyond 5K, presumably to save...BUT...they buy ($$$$) a UOA to reassure themselves they CAN push it. That a false economy! Too cheap to just stay with 5K OCI, just like Mobil says!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: addyguy

All to his own, but I just don't get this. M 5000 costs $11, but people want to push it beyond 5K, presumably to save...BUT...they buy ($$$$) a UOA to reassure themselves they CAN push it. That a false economy! Too cheap to just stay with 5K OCI, just like Mobil says!

Well said!!

True, but most of us are doing UOA's as a 'hobby', and not actually as a diagnostic/oil life monitor.

I was just curious, as I just like to push things as far as I can. Its just in my nature I guess. When it comes to oil, I'm not a cheap skate by far, I just thought I'd give it a shot and was wondering how far some have pushed the stuff. I thank you all for your responses.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
I was just curious, as I just like to push things as far as I can. Its just in my nature I guess. When it comes to oil, I'm not a cheap skate by far, I just thought I'd give it a shot and was wondering how far some have pushed the stuff. I thank you all for your responses.
And that's totally the way to be. I would just do a UOA so that you can backup your choice and make sure you aren't harming your engine in the process...
thumbsup2.gif

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but would you guys say pennzoil yb is better than this stuff, or are they on a pretty even playing field?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but would you guys say pennzoil yb is better than this stuff, or are they on a pretty even playing field?

Using either one will be fine,go by your wallet
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: DragRace

Using either one will be fine,go by your wallet
thumbsup2.gif

Thats why I asked, as both are pretty close in price, atleast at Walmart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hpichris
If something works for you. Stick with it. The good old saying of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' really comes to mind here.

Yeah, but the old saying " fix it until it's broke" also comes to mind...
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back