Mobil 424 and ATF

Hi Gents.
My Jeep quadra trac, NV245 transfer case takes a 'special' fluid that turned out to be Mobil 424 packaged for Mopar. I believe it is a fluid for tractor transmissions.

Many Jeep owners fill with ATF+4 in the belief that ATF is the correct fluid. I use the proper NV245 fluid from Petronas.

What is the difference between the Mobil 424 and an ATF? To a layman like myself they both seem to serve the same purpose of transmitting power through clutch packs.

Many thanks.

Mobil 424 is a tractor transmission and hydraulic fluid . The Tractor fluids of this type at least in most compact tractors serve as the trans fluid and hydraulic fluid using the trans axle as the common sump in,,, as to my knowledge a common set up in compact utility tractors. These fluids are friction modified to allow smooth operation [chatter] on the wet brakes which look similar to motorcycle wet clutches or auto trans clutch pacts.

Hi wpod.
Thanks for helping.
I note you say the 424 is friction modified to allow smooth action in clutch packs. How does this differ from an ATF such as ATF4?

Are the tractor fluids 'thicker' than an ATF?

Thanks.

Back