Mobil 3309 in AW55-50 A/T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Wording doesn't state not to use synthetic. It just describes the 3309 as conventional.

Although that manual uses those terms why would they bother
to make a specific note of that fact, unless that was what
the manufacturer wanted the consumer to use?

The manual I saw actually stated not to use synthetic fluid.

Last edited:
Feel free to post a pic of that manual you saw.

Why state mineral? I'd wager that it was mentioned to lower the cost of ownership on a transmission that probably also had horrible atf service interval recomendations. Best to ask the comunications or English major non-techie technical writer.

And, I cant find synthetic single spec commonly available 3309 fluids. Why warn against something that doesnt exist?

There are plenty of universal multivehicle multispec boutique synth ATFs, that exceed or meet the multiple specs.

@Greasy:

I don't have that manual because it was some years ago, however I definitely remember it specifically stating DO NOT USE A
SYNTHETIC ATF product in this tranaxle, use only
petroleum based ATF.

Actually as I mentioned in an earlier post SAAB owner's manuals were very well written, thorough, and appeared to be proof read as well. I seriously doubt that SAAB would have just thrown that detail in the book for NO reason at all. Now I agree some other car makers have terribly written and edited OMs.

if you've got the year and model of the SAAB, you might be able to find it on line. I would like to see what it said.

By the way, The XC has over 181,000 miles on its original AW-55-51 (the AWD version), which has been run primarily on Toyota T-IV...but it's also had syntehthic Mobil 1, Mobil 3309, and I am about to try Valvoline Maxlife...

It doesn't leak. It shifts great.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I use Maxlife in my AW transmission and it seems to be doing a great job. I had the mobil 3309 in it before and I noticed a sloppier shift and cold weather shifting wasn't that great either. Maxlife fixed both of these. LGR is also nice for AW transmissions.

What is 'LGR' ?

Originally Posted By: pbm
I use Maxlife in my AW transmission and it seems to be doing a great job. I had the mobil 3309 in it before and I noticed a sloppier shift and cold weather shifting wasn't that great either. Maxlife fixed both of these. LGR is also nice for AW transmissions.

What is 'LGR' ?

Lubeguard Red bottle. It is one of the few attitives that is approved by many OEMs for tranmissions. If you search it on BITOG you will hear lots of people speaking of its benefits. It does a great job with maxlife in my AW in the Equinox.

Originally Posted By: pbm

What is 'LGR' ?

Lubeguard Red bottle. It is one of the few attitives that is approved by many OEMs for tranmissions. If you search it on BITOG you will hear lots of people speaking of its benefits. It does a great job with maxlife in my AW in the Equinox.

I must have been sleeping when I posted this morning as I have used 'LGR' in every A/T I've owned for years. It's a great product.

WARNING!

Unless your owner's manual specifically states that
using such additives is OK, do NOT use them.

I'm POSITIVE that the Aisin unit referred to here for
SAAB does NOT recommend ANY additives at all.

As long as the transmission is working correctly
just do a drain and fill with the correct ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back