Lets hear 'em.
thumbsup2.gif

Do you mean Mobil 1 stories?

- M1 made my engine loud
- M1 produces too much iron in UOA
- M1 isn't a real synthetic
- M1 gives bad gas mileage

Like those myths?

Mobil 2 Jet oil was in it's day a very good turbine oil. Mobil 254, the next generation was a better turbine oil. Unfortunately, Mobil 291 a newer generation turbine oil was a failure and had to be pulled from the market. Mobil Also produced a pistón aviation oil called AV-1. It also had to be pulled from the market due to lead sludging issues.

Neighbour used to use AGIP Sint 2000 in his turbo Volvo, then transfer used lubricant to his Datsun (1000, and 1200) beaters.

Used high end synthetic was probably better than the dinos specified at the time of the 1000 and 1200.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

No. For the uninitiated, Mobil 2 is referring to any top line syn (Mobil 1, PP, PU, Edge, Amsoil, RP, etc,) used for a short to medium length time, then reused in another vehicle, presumably a beater.

Lets hear it.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

No. For the uninitiated, Mobil 2 is referring to any top line syn (Mobil 1, PP, PU, Edge, Amsoil, RP, etc,) used for a short to medium length time, then reused in another vehicle, presumably a beater.

Lets hear it.

I understood what you meant...
I'm thinking of running the Meijer syn in my Sable for a summer run in the vibe if the uoa come back fine.
(i'm a short tripper, and at the way my olm has been dropping, if i stick to the olm, looks to be a 6mo/3k mi run)

Old story that I've posted before: I supplied a neighbor with Mobil 2 fresh out of an 84 and 85 E-150 Vans. I supplied it in clean jugs, he ran it into a funnel with a strainer right into his oil burning Chevy van. IIRC he burnt a qt. of oil every 200 or so miles, and I kept him topped up. It worked quite well for a long time until he got the cash together to replace the old beater.

It burns good in the waste oil heater. Seriously, with the price of oil in the USA being less than a grade school kids lunch money its not worth my time to anything else with it, Mobil 1 or not.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Excluding ordinary Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil filters, I have nothing but praise for what they make*

*Automotive field

OK, I got to ask......What do you have against ordinary Mobil 1 5w-30?

Originally Posted By: ZX11Rebel
Mobil 2 Jet oil was in it's day a very good turbine oil. Mobil 254, the next generation was a better turbine oil. Unfortunately, Mobil 291 a newer generation turbine oil was a failure and had to be pulled from the market. Mobil Also produced a pistón aviation oil called AV-1. It also had to be pulled from the market due to lead sludging issues.

Very true, full syn for piston aircraft engines were FAA approved for 200hours operation OCI! Imagine that infrequent flyers would take too long and fill the engine with lead sludge.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Excluding ordinary Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil filters, I have nothing but praise for what they make*

*Automotive field

What's wrong with their filters? Aren't they very good filters and good for 15k?

Spin on car's filters don't get almost nothing, even the best ones, just stones and a little obstacle for the fine stuff. They run less times compared to a no filter system, but still runs inside the engine and scratch it, up to moan. Tha's why I settle for decantation from time to time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back