Mobil 1FS 0W40, Honda Civic Type R FK2 , 2279km racetrack

Here is my analysis of almost pure racetrack operation. The third analyse from the left is with the honda Engine Type 2.0 0W20, the other two with mobil 1 fs 0W40. What do you think about it?

Attachments

• 499DA88B-3DA9-48D1-9310-A39F4DB11264.jpeg
    499DA88B-3DA9-48D1-9310-A39F4DB11264.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 276
The 0W20 has Over 600ppm moly. The mobil 1 fs 0W40 has 80-90 ppm moly in a virgin analysis.

What do you think about the importance of the noack value for engine oil? Everything under 10 is sufficient, or the lower the better?

Can someone tell me which base oil the mobil 1 has? Does it own mPAO? Does it have a high natural VII?

It's unlikely that Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 contains mPAO. I also don't see a reason for the 0W-40 here. The 0W-20 held up just as well and possibly free'd up a couple horsepower.

It's unlikely that Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 contains mPAO. I also don't see a reason for the 0W-40 here. The 0W-20 held up just as well and possibly free'd up a couple horsepower.
In terms of wear values, certainly almost the same. However, the w20 engine oils are all mid or low saps. Since my car stands for a long time over the winter, I would like it to be particularly well protected. Furthermore, w20 oils are more prone to volatility and thus deposits, for example, on the turbocharger shaft. With exclusive summer use, higher viscosities are certainly an advantage.

It's a mix, mainly PAO + II+/III or PAO+GTL
What do you think about the VII? Does this not "best" base oil have more polymeric than other viscosity with "better" base oil?

In terms of wear values, certainly almost the same. However, the w20 engine oils are all mid or low saps. Since my car stands for a long time over the winter, I would like it to be particularly well protected. Furthermore, w20 oils are more prone to volatility and thus deposits, for example, on the turbocharger shaft. With exclusive summer use, higher viscosities are certainly an advantage.

What do you think about the VII? Does this not "best" base oil have more polymeric than other viscosity with "better" base oil?

You can make a 0W-20 with the same or even higher initial base oil as 0W-40, plus possibly better base oils, and thus about the same or better volatility. The Noack for M1 FS 0W-40 is 8.8% while Ravenol DFE 0W-20 is 7.6%. Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 is 8.8%. The first number has far more relevance to initial base oil and Noack than the 2nd number. A 0W-20 and 0W-40 both start out with similar blends of 4-6 cSt base oil and use VII to boost the KV100 to the appropriate grade. A 0W-40 will need a lot more VII than a 0W-20. Aside from shear and solubility concerns, VIIs tend to have a lower flash point as well which doesn't help matters.

I wouldn't hesitate to run a quality 0W-20 like Ravenol.

Usually natural VII from base has better behaviour than added after, but is not easy to formulate. FS both formulations have very good uoa results and good VI, so nothing to object for me.

Back