mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdi jerry

$100 Site Donor 2024
i have been useing mobil 1 for about 21 years now and it has allway's did a good job for me.
smile.gif
lately i have been hearing that mobil 1 was not made with 100 % pao synthetic any more so i would just like the low down on what's going on ? i would hate to think that mobil 1 is made from group 3 base stock's.
frown.gif

From what I know, it is still mostly PAO, but its not as loaded anymore. I belive this happened around 2002 when their tri-synthetic turned into fully synthetic.

I don't know for sure, but is it partly because of the lawsuit between mobil and castrol?

tdi, I think this is just a rumor that has been going around. There was another thread on this topic recently, and several folks documented their conversations with Mobil about it. Does anyone remember where that thread is?

i call mobil tec suppor a couple times but i could not get any straight answers out of them.

The question is, does Mobil 1 perform up to their marketing and image as a facatory fill for many high ticket cars?

Primary base stock for Mobil 1 is PAO. Has been since it came on the market.

Mobil 1 is excellent oil. IMHO, Mobil 1 Extended Drain is even better.

Does it perform up to their marketing? Seems to have done so for the past 25 years or so.

Does it perform up to image as a factory fill? The factories seem to think so.

M1 used sme regular dino oil in it so that the additives would stay in suspension better. I believe they called it the "carrier stock". It's of no real world consequence to the consumer.

quote:

tdi jerry:
lately i have been hearing that mobil 1 was not made with 100 % pao synthetic any more so i would just like the low down on what's going on ? i would hate to think that mobil 1 is made from group 3 base stock's.

Mobil 1 has never been 100% PAO.

There has always been a small % of carrier oil, 1% or so, in which the additives were mixed prior to blending, and something else - usually some form of ester - to control seal swell.

PAO by itself would cause seals to shrink.

The something else is also a synthetic and the ratios and exact blend vary with application.

For example, motorcycle oils use a greater percentage of ester.

There are also other synthetics, like alkalated napthalene, used.

Mobil does not blend Group III oils in its synthetics.

that was the kind of info i was looking for thats every one.mobil 1 is good enough for me and easy to find.
grin.gif
i use mobil 1 0w40 in both of my cars a vw 2000 beetle tdi diesel and a vw 2003 beetle 2.0 gas engine.
smile.gif

dunno.gif
I don't understand what they mean that some of these oils come from different or the same stocks or based oil.
confused.gif
If so then which one comes from the better source? Redline, Mobil One or Amsoil?
bowdown.gif

I don't think anyone knows which is the "best" base stock.It depends on everything, the motor, the climate, the driving habits, the filtration, etc. I know Redline is biased for high temperatures and extreme performance, but its base stock is also very good for engine start up. Other oils compromise high temperature performance for long drain intervals. There are several ways to blend oils for great results, and all three are great oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back