Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Mobil 1 since 1982 and my Subaru WRX 2008 has had it from when I bought it in September of 2007. The WRX has now 104800 miles and I use this car to commute about 110 miles a day. I've use regular Mobil 1(5w-30), and have recently switched to Mobil 1 5w-30 (extended performance). The oil consumption very conservativly, is not more than 1 quart in 6k miles. I'm going to have the timing belt job done very soon and hope to be still driving this car for at least a couple more years! This car has had only one major componet failure, the radiator @ about 78K.

Originally Posted By: daman
Should give 5w30HM a try for a few OCI.

I don't see any reason for a High Mileage oil in the OPs car. Heck, my 98 Camry V6 with 210,000 miles doesn't need a HM oil. It's spotless under the valve covers. It also had a steady diet of M1.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Should give 5w30HM a try for a few OCI.

I don't see any reason for a High Mileage oil in the OPs car. Heck, my 98 Camry V6 with 210,000 miles doesn't need a HM oil. It's spotless under the valve covers. It also had a steady diet of M1.

Doesn't the HM oil have some extra additives in it that help with the seals?

Just asking.
confused.gif

I've been toying with the idea of trying some HM oil in my '97 Camry, 165K. Not sure if there would be any benefit or not. It's clean under the cover too, no obvious leaks,

I prefer the M1 HM oils because they are still rated SL in the 5W30 and 10W30 weights, with the higher levels of zinc and phosphorus. The 10W40 also has the higher levels of zinc and phosphorus, but these higher levels are permitted in XW40 oils.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The HM oils are not energy conserving. You'll lose 0.0009 miles per gallon.

Oh, I seriously doubt that it would be that much! LOL!

Keep using the regular Mobil 1 ... you don't need the high mileage formula.

I really like Mobil 1's 0W-30 AFE oil. It is very smooth when my Corolla's engine is cold, plus it has increased my mpg by about 2-3mpg.

For a commute that long I'd think you'd have a good econobox to help on gas. My del sol can get 50mpg with minimal effort. That's something that would help your wallet a lot. I don't think you should change a thing. M1 since 1982, good job staying loyal! I cheat on my pennzoil to much.

Last edited:
I would use the Mobil1 HM 5W-30 or even M1 0W-40 since I wouldn't run an Energy Conserving oil in a Subaru turbo. You'll find that a LOT of others do not run EC oils as well. Your consumption is very good though and I believe the highway miles are easy on your car.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
I prefer the M1 HM oils because they are still rated SL in the 5W30 and 10W30 weights, with the higher levels of zinc and phosphorus. The 10W40 also has the higher levels of zinc and phosphorus, but these higher levels are permitted in XW40 oils.

What he said and why,HM line is awesome.

^^What daman said. M1`s HM oils are stronger and better than their regular M1 oils. Mobil even says they handle high heat/stress better too. Mobil`s 0W40,15W50,and their HM oils are the best in their lineup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

^^What daman said. M1`s HM oils are stronger and better than their regular M1 oils. Mobil even says they handle high heat/stress better too. Mobil`s 0W40,15W50,and their HM oils are the best in their lineup.

And their 0W line too.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

And their 0W line too.

Don't forget their 5 and 10 wt oils as well.

Originally Posted By: afdk58
I've been using Mobil 1 since 1982 and my Subaru WRX 2008 has had it from when I bought it in September of 2007. The WRX has now 104800 miles and I use this car to commute about 110 miles a day. I've use regular Mobil 1(5w-30), and have recently switched to Mobil 1 5w-30 (extended performance). The oil consumption very conservativly, is not more than 1 quart in 6k miles. I'm going to have the timing belt job done very soon and hope to be still driving this car for at least a couple more years! This car has had only one major componet failure, the radiator @ about 78K.

Welcome to the BITOG site. Good to see another long time M1er. I've used their oils since 1978. Always with 10K OCI. Never had a problem. What has been your OCI?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: afdk58

Welcome to the BITOG site. Good to see another long time M1er. I've used their oils since 1978. Always with 10K OCI. Never had a problem. What has been your OCI?

I'm also a long time Mobil 1 user - since 1981.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back