Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 & 1988 Porsche 911

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have a 1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe with 91,100 miles. I drive the car fast and hard but maintain it extremely well. The valves and seals have been redone at 55K and it only burns a little oil (OK for a 911) and drips just a little - also not a real issue. I always change the oil in Nov and then immediately store the car (Toronto Canada winters) until May and then just drive it without changing the oil again (in May). It has been recommended that this year I try Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40. I'm unsure if this is a wise choice. Would anyone have any thoughts given my car and the year:1988 and milage:91K. Thanks so much, Greg

Greg... did you happen to see the "I hate M1" thread that was TERMINATED! yesterday...

There are a huge number of opinions on M1 and Porsches...some say M1 blows engines, others say M1 is perfect for said vehicle...!

Probally fine unless you are tracking it. Ester-intensive oil will help out those 16 y/o seals too. I'd use it, but since you do not drive in winter, how about a dino 15w-40? Pennzoil Long-Life would be good and not expensive, you have around an 8 quart sump, an oil-cooled engine actually. Maybe only one change a year, eh? So, if you don't care about the costs, M1 0w-40 is an all-around good choice, but the Amsoil is only a buck more and a rep here would help you select the best grade for your car, probally 15w-40 anyway. Another oil to consider is Syntec 5w-50, that is the only synth my Porsche mechanic uses.

I'd run Delvac 1, 5w-40 over the Mobil 1, 0w-40 any day of the week in this air cooled motor. The viscometrics are just about perfect - HT/HS of 4.1 Cp and very shear stable. An honest TBN of 12 and a high level of ZDDP for valvetrain protection.

Forget the diesel oil label and look at the physical/chemical properties of the fluid ...

M1, 0w-40 would be fine for winter use, but not in temps > 10C....Yes, I'm aware it's the factory fill in the new water cooled engines, and I really don't care
smile.gif

TS

Hi,

I would suggest Delvac 1 or Mobil 15w-50 for the air cooled engine
The original oil recommended for that year 911 was a HD 15w-40 oil and I believe and any of these will do the job for you. The 911 was originally introduced with a 15w-40 HD oil as a factory fill

The leaking will not be "helped" by using the M1 0w-40

I own a '89 928 S4 ( 122000kms/76000 miles ) and use Delvac 1 now after changing from Shell Helix Ultra synthetic 15w-50

Most Porsche 911 and 928 owners use M1 15w-50 with good results

I will publish the UOA on Delvac 1 from my Porsche later this week

Regards
Doug
MY89 Porsche 928S4 on Delvac 1
MY98 BMW Z3 2.8 on Delvac 1
MY02 Subaru Outback 2.5 on Delvac 1

I think Mobil 1 0W-40 is way too thin for an air-cooled 911. The HT/HS viscosity of the 0W-40 is only 3.6 cP. I would suggest Castrol Syntec 5W-50, Amsoil 10W-40, or Mobil Delvac 5W-40 in that order. I think the "diesel" 15W-40 oils would be OK in warm weather but I prefer synthetic oils in a fine European car like a Porsche 911. I agree with TooSlick that just because Mobil 1 0W-40 works well with a newer water cooled Porsche doesn't mean that it will work well in an older air-cooled motor.

Delvac 1 seems to be the popular choice, and every Walmart in Toronto carries it for $35 for a 4L jug. Much easier to find up here than M1 0w40!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back