Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 HM in an older (but low mile) car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I can find Mobil 1 for a great price locally and have been considering going back to it.

I just picked up a 2001 Civic with 80k miles.

I'm.replacing the vale cover gasket which is leaking, and will be changing the oil.

I'll be driving almost 100% highway for work and changing it very 10k Miles

I'd like to use the mobil 1 5w20, but was wondering about HM due to its age.

Thoughts?

Both are ok oils, having said that those hondas aren't that picky about oil at all. Maybe do 1-2 intervals with HM oil with lots of seal-caring additives and switch to normal oil afterwards or stick with it if it works well. If it burns oil maybe a HM could lessen that a little, though i haven't really found that to work with the HM oils I used.
I'd say do whatever your gut tells you to.

Thanks guys. Seeing how this will be its first run on synthetic, I may see how it likes the HM version.

The standard Mobil 1 is almost always on sale more often.

Castrol is the same boat.

Any thoughts on Castrol edge making 10k in the same situation? For some reason I've always felt M1 fairs better with longer drains.

Depends a lot on how those 10k miles actually look, I heard it mostly highway driving so low stress on the engine. Thats positive.
How many miles do you travel anually? I'd stick with 10k or 1 year whatever occurs first, any fully synthetic oil should be able to cope with that...
smile.gif

A high mileage oil often has extra seal conditioning agents, and may also have a slightly more potent cleaning agent.

Or it may only be at the upper limit of viscosity.

It often is not worth the extra money per quart.

Rod

Either Mobil1 will work fine with your car. What condition is the engine in? Do you drive hard or gentle? How long do you plan on keeping it?

HM oils are more about oil robustness than engine mileage. Your Civic was spec'd for an API SJ or SL oil. The HM oil will better match those spec's than a newer ILSAC GF5 oil. ILSAC oils are low SAP and not needed in your case.

I would stay with the Mobil1 HM oil in 5w-30 (API SN/ACEA A5) or 10w-30 (API SN/ACEA A3). With our older vehicles ACEA spec's are more relevant.

Even after all these years on this site, I still do not understand the allure of HM oils....especially at the advertised "75,000 miles". Personally, I'll never use them.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
Even after all these years on this site, I still do not understand the allure of HM oils....especially at the advertised "75,000 miles". Personally, I'll never use them.

You're missing a lot of good sales and they still pay the rebates.

I stick with M1 EP now and Mobil's rebates. I have about 4-5 years worth for our vehicles.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D

I'll never not use them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back