Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 HM 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I am coming up on an oil change for my Buick Rendezvous soon. It has a 3.6 GM LY7 V6 with 119,000 miles on it. I am trying to nail down an oil brand and type that I can use for the next several oil changes.

I like Mobil 1 and the good things I hear about it, and I would like to start using it regularly. I am trying to decide between the standard Mobil 1 5W-30 (Dexos1 approved) or the Mobil 1 5W-30 high mileage (Not Dexos1 approved).

The high mileage oil is a little thicker, especially at lower temperatures, and it is not Dexos1 approved. Going into winter where it is common to see temperatures around 20-25 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning, I am curious if the high mileage is too thick.

I like the idea of the different additive pack in the HM oil, especially the seal conditioners, but are these necessary?

What do you guys think? And does it matter that the HM isn't Dexos1 approved?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I do have some slight consumption, maybe 3/4 of a quart every 2,000 miles. Mobil 1 regular formula is supposed to be quite effective at curbing this, too, however.

It doesn't really matter. Never used M1 but from what I have heard their anti-leak additive isn't very effective.

Who knows tho you always hear a lot more negatives then positives.

On a side note (I know this is a M1 thread) but the best anti-leak high mileage oil iv found was MaxLife.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maximus
If its not leaking or burning, I would skip the HM.

+1. M1 5-30 will serve you well. As for leaks, M1 has never caused my engines a problem in the 36 years I have used it.

Last edited:
M1 HM 5w30 may be worth trying for a couple of change intervals. Your engine burns oil at a fairly high rate, and I when I ran M1 HM, it slowed oil consumption. It's not too thick to use at 20F. It's still a 5w, which should be usable down to -20F.

That's a good point. Really the only reason is I have had the living WonderBread scared out of me about running non-GM spec'd oils in the LY7. That's really it. But again, engines are engines, to a certain degree, so I get what you're saying.

I have used Mobil 1 HM 5W30 in new engines and it performed like it should. Its a very good synthetic oil and I would think it would be a good choice for your engine in your climate. Great add pack and I would consider it to be better then the semi-syn Maxlife. If you want a full syn oil then use Mobil syn HM... If you have a few minor leaks and want a less expensive oil, then use Maxlife.

OP - what oil are you currently using that it's losing 3/4 quart over 2000 miles? If it's dino, M1 may make it worse. Maxlife is still the king of curing consumption problems IMO.

I was using Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus and it burned quite a bit. I recently started running MaxLife and that definitely helped.

might want to use a 10-30 pennzoil platinum from GTL technology, although its just another fake petroleum group III oil legally synthetic in USA its specs that are given look superior. if i were not using Amsoil that would be my choice

Some syn blends meet Dexos. I'd imagine full syn M1 High Mileage could easily smoke the Dexos spec, they just haven't Dexos licensed it and I wouldn't either if I were them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back