Mobil 1 vs. group III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using the base oil prices below, 3.35/5.00=0.67. Then 0.67 * 3.88 =$2.60 for Group III. Of course that does not account for the add package and the base oil prices are at least a year old (prob. averages). Actually the $2.60 should be name brand GPIII.

Per Gallon Base Oil Prices

Group I: $1.12
Group II: $1.20
Group II+: $1.50
Group III: $3.35
Group IV: $5.00

From: "How to Select A Motor OIl or Filter for Your Car of Truck," by James C. Fitch (Noria.com) 2003

[ June 08, 2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
If one can get M1 for $3.88 a quart, what would be the appropriate price point for a GIII oil like S/T which is $2.97/QT.?

A group III only oil ? I'm going to throw out 2 bucks a quart . Thing is some of the others are a group III/PAO blend so they will cost a bit more .

Let's move the Mobil oil aside for a moment along with the Castrol 0w-30 .

Now , what are the best three OTC 30wt synthetics currently available ?

If I was limited in that way, from what is available to me otc I guess I would go w/ syntec 10w30 or 10w40. Second choice would be valv synpower 10w30 or 5w40, third pennz synth. 10w30.

quote:

Originally posted by doitmyself:
Sorry, a bit off topic - Tall Paul - is that Noria book any good????

Excellent! I will note that much of the info is already on the website in Machinery Lubrication, which is posted there with all the back issues (and Practicing Oil Analysis mag too): Noria.com. It has 60 pages of text plus glossary. I found it nice to have it compiled in one place. $15 over net or $20 for hard copy. I like the hard copy because it shows oil dripping down a guys hand while pulling the drain plug.

In my area Mobil 1 is the cheapest synthetic at $3.50 - 4.25 per qt and others like SynPower and Syntec are closer to $5 or more per qt. Why wouldn't you buy the Group IV oil for cheaper than a group III?

Although prices very from store to store, Mobil 1 is almost always the cheapest Sythetic, other than the store brand. It also goes on sale the most often, so I can usually pick it up for less than $4 a quart at Wal-mart. I guess their volume and fair pricing make the difference.
dunno.gif
They do seem to advertise less than the rest too.

-T

No I can't say I do. But I've seen alot of commercials by Penzoil, Quaker State, Castol and the most by Valvoline. I can only think of one Mobil commercial off the top of my head.

-T

If everyone would quit advertising everything would be cheaper. Mobil 1 for $2.50 a qt and Budweiser for $10 a case would be great!

tmorris hey hey That is the kind of comment that coincides with schaeffers philosphy. If we spent millions branding are selves... How much would we then cost???.. A lot more..
Sorry but we get banged some for not being mainstream. and tmorris makes a good point.

quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
tmorris hey hey That is the kind of comment that coincides with schaeffers philosphy. If we spent millions branding are selves... How much would we then cost???.. A lot more..
Sorry but we get banged some for not being mainstream. and tmorris makes a good point.

But at the same time, nobody (outside of here) knows about Schaeffer Oil. I bet that before people came onto this site, 99% of them had not heard of Schaeffer Oil.

Bob definitely opened our eyes as to the fabulous quality of Schaeffer Oil though!

quote:

But at the same time, nobody (outside of here) knows about Schaeffer Oil. [/QB]

I never heard of Schaffers until BITOG. But I am looking at your ad in Machinery Lubrication. The logo is great. A little popular advertizing might go a long way. The Machinery Lubrication ad kinda got me interested to look more into your motor oils. I guess seeing that ad increased my confidence in the company. So now I will take another look.

Oh. I know. It can be frustrating when noone has heard of you even though we are 165 yr old co.Schaeffers can be quite odd in their marketing or lack there of approach. Pros and cons to both sides. The good news is that the quallity is there and the co. ethics etc. are there as well.They really beleive in putting quality first..

I have never heard of Schaeffer oil either until I found this site. After reading some of the posts here about the Schaeffer and seeing everybody that used it was happy with it, I did a little research on it. There's not much information out there about Schaeffers and the web site is horrible. It may be the best oil out there for all I know but I wont be buying any. It's just too vague. Maybe that's the way Schaeffers likes it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back