Mobil 1 vs AMSOIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am presently running Mobil 1 5-30 in a '00 Silverado. But after reading all these posts about the uncertainity of the Supersyn Mobil 1, I am thinking of trying AMSOIL 10W-30 for the summer.

I am like Bror Jace and kinda worry about all this media hype. However, AMSOIL is about $7.00 per quart in Texas. Redline and Schaeffer would have to be shipped.

Bottom line, is AMSOIL better than Mobil 1 when you consider the price difference? Any test results for AMSOIL? (I am not into extended drain intervals. Change at 3K regardless) Thanks!

You may consider this biased, as I have been using and selling AMSOIL for 25 years now.
Yes, AMSOIL is better than Mobil 1. While the base stocks are very similar, AMSOIL has a stronger (and more expensive) additive package.
In most of the standard bench tests, AMSOIL will come out a bit better. The biggest advantage AMSOIL has is in the capability to last longer.
Since you aren't interested in extending the drain, you will do fine with Mobil 1.
The Series 2000 0W-30 will likely be about $2 a qt more than the other AMSOIL--and pricey to use for a 3000 mile drain.

Hey ****, small world!!
grin.gif

Robert, I'll admit I'm a little biased against Amsoil. The oil may be fine ... all the info I have suggests it is a very straight forward PAO & ester base oil with a lot of ZDDP anti-wear additives. That makes perfect sense and I trust that approach to prevent wear more than I do the brand new Mobil 1 approach.

I just don't like pyramiding/multi-level marketing Amsoil uses and avoid all kinds of products that are distributed in this way.

If I weren't using Red Line, I'd take a good look at Schaeffer, Synergen, Lucas or some other PAO-based synthetic or synthetic blend. I get Red Line shipped to me for $8 per quart total ... and I don't pay sales tax.
wink.gif

I agree with **** In Falls Church. I am under the impression he is an Amsoil dealer although I don't belive he identifed himself as such. I am an Amsoil dealer too.

For 3000 mile drain intervals you will notice very little difference between Amsoil and Mobil-1 and if you do not have your oil analyzed, you won't notice any difference at all. So why pay the premium if you are going to throw the product away before it needs replenishing. That is like paying $30 for a nice bottle of wine and drinking 2 glasses.

Amsoil really shines in long drain intervals as it has a quality base stock and enough of the critical additives to keep performing long after other brands fizzle out. I use it for extended drains and verify the results through oil analysis. I have nearly 20000 miles on the current batch in my car. In this manner I convince myself that there is value in the paying the premium.

Results on the New Mobil-1 remain to be seen.

As for the MLM, it is not for everybody. I was very skeptical about getting into it at first because of the negative connotation associated with other MLM programs. Once I got into it though I found it to be a pretty good system. I think the MLM programs take a hit because of over aggressive dealers tending to force mediocre quality, over priced products on people who really don't want to buy them. We certainly have that element in the Amsoil system and I am "guilty by association". Yes, Amsoil is pricey and many would argue it is over priced but very few experts argue against the fact that it is indeed a quality product. Second, some us take a different approach by studying and learning and keeping an (relaitively) open mind. I have spent a lot of time studying lubricants in general and have shared my knolwedge with lots of people (including many mechancs) who, before they met me, knew very little about synthetic oil. I have even shared a few tricks on how to acquire the products as inexpensively as possible to a point where they are almost as cheap as the off the shelf brands and if driven for long drains represnet an excellent value. Some of these people have choosen to reward me for my effort, knowledge, and objectivity by buying a quality product through my network. In this sense it gives guys like us a way to earn a few bucks while enjoying our hobby and this particular MLM program is great for me and decent value for my customers.

So, for those of you who are curious about Amsoil, call **** or myself or some of the other dealers who frequent this board for more info. If we are here, we likely are here to learn, and speaking for myself, will objetively share our expriences.

Don

I contacted Amsoil to see if they had done any testing of Mobil 1 SuperSyn against Amsoil. They said that they started testing today and should have the results by next week.

Mobil vs Amsoil. As I've said I was once an Amsoil dealer just to get the products cheap. I use Mobil now but am also concerned with the SuperSyn. It may be better-it may be worse. Unfortunately Amsoil will run their 4 Ball and pronounce SuperSyn inferior. Don't get me wrong-I agree that Amsoil has an additive package which will support longger drain intervals . But how do the two compare over the road after say a 10K drain interval. That's what I'm interested in-not a 4 Ball. I suspect that we may learn the answer with some objective reporting of oil analysis. I will be contributing an oil analysis on one SuperSyn drain interval in about 4 months.

If the Mobil 1 rep that I emailed today was correct, the new Mobil 1 contains some moly, not sure exactly how much yet, however that means this new stuff might not be as bad as we think.

I can't wait to see some oil analysis results. As I've said before, it's still not available in Canada yet, so it'll be a long while before I am able to have my own cars running on this stuff. At least the one good thing is that by the time it finally does arrive up here, I'll have hopefully seen a few analysis reports on here first, then I'll have a better idea what the oil is like. I hope it surprises us all and turns out to be better than we thought!

I run Mobil 1 because I can buy it at Autozone or Walmart. I am sure it's better than Tri which was better than AF, when Mobil brought out the Tri, everyone started talking about it being worse, it wasn't. It's interesting that everytime one of the other companies makes improvement, everyone applaudes, but every time Mobil 1 improves, everyone boos. Unless something comes out in anaysis that it is no good, I'll use it. Been using it with excellent results for over 10 years now...

I am interested in the result of Amsoil testing, and the results that are left out will say as much as the ones that are announced...

I would like to use Mobil 1 for the winter here in MN, but with the vis at 212 at 9.7, this just seems to thin for my 100k Jeep. I now plan to go with Amsoil because it is thicker at 11.5. Or am i not looking at this in the right way?

Jon, I believe you are right, Mobil 1 in the 5w30 and 10w30 viscosities is pretty thin at 100C, almost to the point of being 20 weights. At 9.3 and lower they would become a 20wt, so at 9.7 and 9.8 for those two visosities, they are pretty thin. That's why a lot of LS1 f-body owners complain that their engine burns more oil with Mobil 1 than any other brand. I think it's even worse with the 5w30 since it seems to thin out even quicker than the 10w30.

My LT1 uses very little oil in 8000 miles on M1 5W30. It dropped from the top line to the first hole in the dip stick, about 1/5th of a quart.

From 80k to 160k my Olds Ciera 3.3 Buick V6 would use almost a quart of M1 5W30 in 11000 miles. It dropped the same in 4k as it had with Pennzoil Dino.

[ June 18, 2002, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

I have multiple lab reports on multiple cars using Amosil 10W30 and one on 0W30. I never believed the claims and started at 3000 with analsyis. Now it depends on the type of driving the cars do. Longest is a 92 Camry with 145,000 miles, I have over a dozen lab reports on this one over the years.
On the Camry it is every 7,500 oil and filter regardless of time. On another 12,000 miles with a filter at 6 months. The 0W30 is once a year, filter at 6 months but car only gets 7-9000 miles a year.

Got only one bad report on Camry and that was at 15,000 miles (first time I tried it) wear metals too high for me so I went back to 7500. The one on a 12,000 mile interval does okay though so it is car dependend, one policy does not fit all.

If you want lab report numbers I can do so

[ June 18, 2002, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Spector ]

Spector, If you get a chance, Take the time to post your numbers on the oil analysis board. make a new topic for each car/new oil analysis.

thanks, definatly interested in seeing these.
bob

Spector, I was wondering about your statement that the wear particles were too high at 12K. Does one prorate the wear particle concentration for the mileage? In other words should the WPs be twice as high at 12K as at 6K? But if they were 3 times as high for instance then you know that the rate is increasing? Curious minds want to know. (BGR) Regards, RW

Trying not to start another thread here....

Mobil 1 SS has a thick PAO as SS additive.....ok

Mobil 1 adds (maybe) some pour point depressant to stay thin in the cold......ok

Mobil 1 10w30 only gets a 3.2 for HTHS.....hmmm

What good is the thick PAO if the HTHS is better in other oils like Schaeffer Blend (3.5)?

Is it all about electrostatic affinity for the metal?

I'm in way over my head, but inquiring minds want to know

dunno.gif

I guess the SuperSyn is an anti wear additive. I doubt that they added a pour point depressant. Still no comparison numbers between tri and SS. We are all still are clueless.

They never did get back to me on Amsoil vs SuperSyn tests. It seems they would be crowing about it. I e-mailed them again.

Dickwells: Sorry, I missed this way back when.
"Does one prorate the wear particle concentration for the mileage? In other words should the WPs be twice as high at 12K as at 6K? But if they were 3 times as high for instance then you know that the rate is increasing?" Correct!

Some of the oil analysis results are absolute others are variable. Engine wear occurs over time and should be relatively constant. Thus, iron ppm or aluminum ppm should be relative to mileage. 15 ppm of iron at 3000 miles should be approx. 30 ppm at 6000 miles etc. Most labs will recognize this in extended drains, some may not and say that the levels are unacceptable when in fact they are normal wear. Some numbers are absolutes such as silicon. Over a specified number a lab will flag the results as unacceptable, mine is 32 ppm of silicon as they feel that concentration contributes to excessive wear. (note that a lab cannot distinguish the difference between silicon from seals and dirt) which is why new engines usually give higher silicon readings when new then the same engine (same fitlers etc) at 20,000 miles.

Also, fuel as a percentage of vol is an absolute as are total solids as a percentage etc.

[ July 31, 2002, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back