Mobil 1 vs amsoil on youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to see but did he test vanilla M1 vs Signature Series at 2x the cost ?
(Used the word "test" with skepticism)

The only test that really counts is real world. These are bench tests...

Originally Posted by Navi

But it looks like his dad has a nice bench. ðŸ§

I understand that, just thought it was an interesting video

Actually the tests that count are the ones that comprise SAE J300 and the various other manufacturer standards and approvals. Those represent real-world conditions and give meaningful and repeatable characterizations of motor oils. This test like all the other ad hoc tests on YouTube and elsewhere do not represent real-world conditions in an ICE.

People throw around the concept of "real-world" tests meaning something outside of the laboratory but the reality is that such tests are for the most part worthless.

I'd watch it if it was the annual protection since I just picked up 7 jugs at auto zone for $10 a jug.

I just skipped through the video. Did he really just test the oils on those plastic gears?
31.gif

That gear test is irrelevant since engine oils do not contain tackifiers. Tackiness is not a spec for engine oils since engines are lubricated via a pressurized oiling system. You need tackifiers, such as isobutylenes, to cling like that which is really only relevant to machinery that uses splash lubrication.

Always found those gears could keep me fascinated if I had a slow guy at the counter looking up a part for me. 🤪

When I worked for Mobil Oil we real world tested oils and greases in company owned engines and bearings in use. The components were then disassembled and sent for analysis. I was not part of any bench-top testing. But instead I'd remove wheel bearings and engine components for scanning electron microscope evaluation.

Originally Posted by Cujet
When I worked for Mobil Oil we real world tested oils and greases in company owned engines and bearings in use. The components were then disassembled and sent for analysis. I was not part of any bench-top testing. But instead I'd remove wheel bearings and engine components for scanning electron microscope evaluation.

….and that's how it's supposed to be done.

When XOM/Mobil shows any type of "proof of performance", it's always shown via engine testing in actual engines through simulations and road testing. I've never seen Mobil engage in any type of silly bench testing or marketing.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by Cujet

….and that's how it's supposed to be done.

When XOM/Mobil shows any type of "proof of performance", it's always shown via engine testing in actual engines through simulations and road testing. I've never seen Mobil engage in any type of silly bench testing or marketing.

And this is why I am going to use M1 0w30 in all my Honda vehicles soon. It was too hard to pass up the QSUD/RGT at 2.00 qt but I think Mobil1 is still the gold standard.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Watched both videos. All over the place and totally useless.

Most people don't know this, and I refuse to watch Project Farm because he experiments on tractors and chainsaws and things that are not actual cars. Different.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Watched both videos. All over the place and totally useless.

That's the long and the short of it.
It seems that about 99% of YouTube videos are made by people short on knowledge and long on ego.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Why is this test done using the lowest grade Mobil-1 against the top grade Amsoil?
Kinda' slanted, don't you think?

Not that this video proves anything, but why should "grade" matter. According to many on this site, all you need is the most recent API rating and after that, all oils will perform/protect the same. To those same people, the only advantage the Amsoil SS would provide over the vanilla M1 is OCI length which is irrelevant in these "tests".

For the gear test with the paper towel … I suggest folks use chain saw bar oil !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back