Mobil 1 vs. all other DINO oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
The definition of "Outperform is the key". Short term (under 3K) Mobil 1 may not "outperform" other oils in wear metals. But after 150K and 3K oil changes-my guess is you would seriously notice the difference. in the engine.

I've heard it once that if you changed your dino OCI every 1000 miles with dino with be the same as Mobil synthetic as far as longevity. Dino or synthetic will give about the same protection but the question is synthetic oil will keep your engine cleaner in the long run. A cleaner engine will make your money worths in your purchase of your vehicle. Dino or synthetic opinions will be a debate..but also one must consider driving conditions...and who pays for your vehicle..you yourself....it's your value what you want as far as maintanance...

I think the title of the topic could have been "Synthetic vs. all other Dino oils. It makes absolutely no sense to run synthetic oil in an engine with drain intervals less than 4K. The only exceptions are very cold/hot ambient temps or a specialty engine. Yes I use synthetic in all my engines except one, including 5W30 Red Line in my John Deere lawn mower. Plus I use 5W30 Synergyn in a Mazda 626 that the longest trip is to get groceries or go to church, (9 Miles). But I am one step from the Oil Anonymous meetings.
Now with that in the open, extended drains can be achieved using Schaeffer's oils that rival any synthetic oil. Again excluding the extreme temps or exotic engines. And then I am not so sure it could not match the Syns. Just remember the Schaeffer's Green Exlir is only a telephone call away, no searching Auto Zones and hoping that some day you may find it and then pay $2 a quart more, no poems, just proven oil from a reputable company. Green is Green, I vote for the $3 green.

burnout.gif

m1 is superior for long idling, stop and go, towing, extended drains, and definitely keeping an engine spotless.

Jelly, is Castrol Start Up any better than GTX....or is this just a marketing gimmick for us to buy a more expensive oil??
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Boeing 757 Pilot:
Jelly, is Castrol Start Up any better than GTX....or is this just a marketing gimmick for us to buy a more expensive oil??
dunno.gif

IMHO, if your goal is increased startup flow/protection, you'd be best picking a 0w synthetic lube.

Doing a quick search though revealed this:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007107#000000
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006875#000000

SO lets see, the simple answer is YES, M1 will outporform all dinos, even at a 500 mile comparison because...

A. Better start up protection
B. Faster cold start lubrication
c. short/cold trip stability

quote:

Originally posted by RedWolf4000:
SO lets see, the simple answer is YES, M1 will outporform all dinos, even at a 500 mile comparison because...

A. Better start up protection
B. Faster cold start lubrication
c. short/cold trip stability

d. cleaner engine
grin.gif

What to you is outperform...?
for me the answer is
NO, but many may not agree.
quote:

Originally posted by westex39:
Would it be safe to assume that mobil 1 10W-30 would out perform all other types of dino oil on the market?

westex

We have seen Chevron Supreme and some other top shelf dino's at short intervals produce as good UOA's as synthetic, so you would have to run two identical engines in identical environments to know for sure. For most of us who expect a vehicle to run 200K without major repairs I don't think the difference is worth the higher price of syn. Extreme temps is a different matter.

It's gettin old-hat, but I bet if you used a high-quality GII+, GIII conventionally-priced twice as often, you could get better results than a single fill of Mobil 1. 5000 miles on M1 or 2500 on Motorcraft. I think the physical process of draining contaminates twice as often cannot be matched by a single fill of M1. I can buy 2 fills of good oil and 2 filters for the cost of Mobil 1 and 1 filter.

I am afraid you would lose the bet audi junkie. I have know of several real world examples of this and in all those cases the mobil 1 cars had less wear in the way I figure it. They consumed less oil.

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
I am afraid you would lose the bet audi junkie. I have know of several real world examples of this and in all those cases the mobil 1 cars had less wear in the way I figure it. They consumed less oil.

M1 vs Delo 400/ LL / Delvac 1300 ???

Would engine wear be less with M1 than with these HD oils?

original question - Would it be safe to assume that mobil 1 10W-30 would out perform all other types of dino oil on the market?

Simple answer, yes in 98.5698% of the cases.

Ugly, show your work. No points given unless you show your work. That's what my old HS algebra teacher used to say all the time.

Anyway, on to the point, I'd add one twist. My answer is "yes" in the vast majority of cases. Yes, I am a long-time synthetic user myself. Primary exception would be users for whom minimizing short-term cash flow is the prime factor in oil selection. For him or her, I'd say off hand 3-5k OCI with higest quality dino, perhaps an HDEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back