Mobil 1 vs. all other DINO oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to interrupt you guys, but here is my math (Canadian dollars). I drive 35,000km a year. I use M1 5w30 and I change it every 5,000km as per owner's manual, the car is on the warranty, I don't want ANY issues with extended OCIs.
The cost of the oil for me is $224.00/year ($32/4.4L bottle at WalMart, regular price including taxes). During the same year I burn about 3,000L of fuel, for the total cost of $2,230 or something. M1 vs dino helps to save about 2% on fuel (conservative) which is about $45.
Now good dino at 5,000km OCI at $12 for 5 liter bottle would cost $77/year. The difference between M1 and dino less fuel savings is about $102/year. $8.53 a month. Even less for majority of us here who drive less (and to whom synthetics is even more important due to sorter trips or city driving).
This is less then the cigarettes pack or visit to Wendy's. Is it worth not to pay this very small premium for the better stuff?
Am I missing something?

quote:

Originally posted by Boeing 757 Pilot:
Jelly, is Castrol Start Up any better than GTX....or is this just a marketing gimmick for us to buy a more expensive oil??
dunno.gif

No, no, I saw the TV commercial last night. It has something like "aligned molecules".
lol.gif

Aligned molecules,where do the make the stuff Chernovol
dunno.gif
I think mobil 1 will beat most dino,s hands down,my problem is that at 2500 miles it,s all I can do to leave the oil in until 3000 miles,6000miles would be shear torture

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:

quote:

Originally posted by Boeing 757 Pilot:
Jelly, is Castrol Start Up any better than GTX....or is this just a marketing gimmick for us to buy a more expensive oil??
dunno.gif

No, no, I saw the TV commercial last night. It has something like "aligned molecules".
lol.gif

Too bad they have their marketing so goofy. This stuff may fall by the wayside from lack of sales, but I would think that if there is a significant proportion of ester Group V in it, that it just might be their best oil. But I can't get ahold of the precentage, nor have we seen any UOAs--and probably won't given the price. Ah well, a good idea poorly executed. But I am going to make my own "Start Up" by adding judicious quantities of Redline Group V ester motor oil to my regular oil. Don't try to stop me, you can't. I'm going on a bender with this stuff......
fruit.gif

[ August 24, 2004, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

On the contrary, you will see a UOA. I have Start-up in my car right now with about 1200 miles on it and an Amsoil SDF20 filter. I am going to take it to 5000 miles and send a sample in without draining, keep running it until I get the report back, and follow their suggestions. This is in a Subaru Impreza 2.5L.

I just have to figure out how to get the oil out for the sample without draining it all...Any suggestions?

Nate

By the way, what percentage of ester would be significant enough for you guys to get excited?

Nate

quote:

Originally posted by RedWolf4000:
SO lets see, the simple answer is YES, M1 will outporform all dinos, even at a 500 mile comparison because...

A. Better start up protection
B. Faster cold start lubrication
c. short/cold trip stability

What factors would you attribute this to? What properties does M1 have that dinos don't that influence the points on that list?

quote:

Originally posted by poison:
On the contrary, you will see a UOA. I have Start-up in my car right now ...

Look forward to it. As for the right proportion, maybe MoleKule would have an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back