Mobil 1 versus Motul for a 2020 Camry 0w16

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
"The 0W in 0W-16 indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather."

Its not cold weather now and wont be for awhile.

"The 16 in 0W-16 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

My brain says 20 or 30..

So my translation from Toyota is.. 5w20/5w30 in summer/fall 0w20/0w30 in winter. and 0w40 sounds like a good year round oil.

I doubt i would ever buy 0w16 to keep the CAFE folks happy.

I thought the same with the 0w20 in my Tundra but so far after 12 years its been very good. The Tundra does use about 3/4 of a quart in a 10,000 mile interval of Mobil 1. I would be curious to see if consumption is an issue with the 0w16.

So right now Mobil 1 is about $23 for a 5 quart. If I buy the Motul it is about $50. Taking the dollar figure away its a tough choice to make. Part of me wants to try Motul and run it. The other says stick with what you know works which is Mobil 1.

My interpretation of the owners manual outlined above is to use 0w16. But hey, if you think it says it's perfectly fine to use 0w20 all the time, then tell your comprehension story to the dealer, should he ever question it someday.
Good luck with this new Toyota. Hope she' remains a good investment for you.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
So right now Mobil 1 is about $23 for a 5 quart. If I buy the Motul it is about $50. Taking the dollar figure away its a tough choice to make. Part of me wants to try Motul and run it. The other says stick with what you know works which is Mobil 1.

It not super special - very much like the Mobil PAO of Old.

The M1 AP or EP shoudl be fine.

Of the Gold bottle Castrol Edge.

My Walmart is closing out M! AP right now and its a good buy.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by CT8
Despite all the marketing claims , what does oil do? It keeps the parts separated bottom line , then it has additives to do certain things prevent wear when the oil film is not thick enough on certain parts and to make the oil last longer in the engine. If you buy oil from a well known major company with the proper ratings will allow long engine life I have seem more Toyota Camrys with 350,000+ miles running fine running quick change oils and filters.

And they are running a 30 grade.

Is that a valid suggestion of oil viscosity?

Back