Mobil 1 V-Twin Compliance Info (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All ----

Wondering if anyone has seen/heard any scoop about M1 V-Twin as far as JASO-MA performance?? Since Mobil advertises it as "for wet clutch primaries" I wonder what they may have tested (or not) it to in terms of similarity to a true JASO-MA compliant oil??

Just curious about this because I see some users mixing it with Racing 4T to boost viscosity in high temp applications and whatever else.

Comments/Info Please! Thanks All ---- Bob
12.gif

Last edited:
It used to be rated JASO MA just a year or so ago. Perhaps they did a formulation change and did not want to pay for the testing again.

How many bikes out there call for 20w-50 JASO MA oil these days? Probably not enough for XOM to bother with an official certification.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How many bikes out there call for 20w-50 JASO MA oil these days? Probably not enough for XOM to bother with an official certification.

Interesting feedback. Probably both the possibility of formulation changes and simple demand could be the reasoning but the fact that it once had stated compliance says it probably is not too far away. The basic specs of both Racing 4T and V-Twin are so similar says something as well. Testing for compliance is all that is needed for JASO-MA which they could do in their own labs.

Those that do mix the two oils, seem to have good luck and I have not seen any complaints. They are truly miscible.

Thanks for the comments ---
grin2.gif

Pretty much any oil that is not classified as resource conserving has a good chance of being OK for a wet clutch, since it's not loaded with friction modifiers. And I'm fairly sure this V-Twin 20w-50 is not resource conserving.

But on a side note, does your Honda really call for such thick oil? I thought most newer Honda bikes called for 10w-30 these days....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Pretty much any oil that is not classified as resource conserving has a good chance of being OK for a wet clutch, since it's not loaded with friction modifiers. And I'm fairly sure this V-Twin 20w-50 is not resource conserving.

But on a side note, does your Honda really call for such thick oil? I thought most newer Honda bikes called for 10w-30 these days....

Hi Pete -- no, my bike does not need it. 10W-30 or 10W-40 is fine. Just researching for a different application and was curious about the "history" of V-Twin. Thanks again!

Many motorcycle-specific motor oils list JASO-MA on the bottle, but do not display the API certification. Amsoil, Mobil and many others fall into this category.

The wet clutch friction test is simple. The API verification can be expensive.

Motorcycle oils are a tiny, tiny, section of the motor oil market.

If you really want to see who actually paid for the certifications, then here's a link to the most recent list.

JASO MA Certification List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back