Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 vs PCMO 20W50`s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often wondered,what`s the difference between Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 and a pcmo synthetic 20W50? Is it marketing,or is there actually a difference?

There is really a difference. Motorcycle oils do not have friction modifiers because of the wet clutch. Motorcycle oils have extra high ZDDP levels on the order of 1600. There are more anti rust, anti foam, and antioxidants. HTHS is much higher, up to about 6.0. I would suggest you go to the Amsoil and Mobile 1 web sites and read the product information on their motorcycle oils. Both have a lot of information and show comparisons to automobile oils.

FrankN4 ... So in my Austin Mini which is Standard and uses the same oil in the transmission as it does in the Engine (Shared), should I use Motor-Cycle oil because of its wet clutch? There is not Catalytic converter on it.

Like other Mobil 1 oils, much better oxidation resistance, deposit control. MC oils are also designed to be more shear stable.

Does your owners manual say anything about oils that are wet clutch compatible such as SG or SH. The problem is that friction modifiers can cause wet clutches to slip under load and to engage with excessive slip. "I PERSONALLY" would want to use a high anti wear non FM oil in a wet clutch/shared oil engine transmission. Also, that oil would need to be very shear stable as a motorcycle oil. Mobil makes 10W-40 and 20W-50 full synthetic MC oils and Amsoil makes 10W-30, 10W-40. and 20W-50 full synthetic MC oils. I have used Mobil 1 20W-50 and Amsoil 20W-50 with great success. The Amsoil 20W-50 is much better in air cooled engines.

I think I will use the Amsoil one because I have been very happy with their products and because I change the oil once a year and it only takes about 3.5 Quarts to fill the case. Thanks for the help!
grin2.gif

i don't think your austin mini has a wet clutch

Originally Posted By: StevieC
FrankN4 ... So in my Austin Mini which is Standard and uses the same oil in the transmission as it does in the Engine (Shared), should I use Motor-Cycle oil because of its wet clutch? There is not Catalytic converter on it.

i'm only going by my memory of changing a bmc mini 1 about 20 years ago

it looked like a dry clutch, not like the clutch on my harley, more like the 1 on my bsa rocket 3

hope you find the right oil for it

happy new year

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The manual says it does, and the stuff that comes out in the oil says so too...

Kinda of related, what is the difference between the Mobil 1 4T motorcycle oil and the V-Twin version???

Originally Posted By: txrhino
Kinda of related, what is the difference between the Mobil 1 4T motorcycle oil and the V-Twin version???

The 4T is a 10W-40 and the V-Twin is a 20W-50. Basically the same add pack. The V-Twin has a higher 100C cSt and a higher HTHS. The V-Twin was made to give high heat, high stability to the big Harley Davidson air cooled engines and the even bigger Yamaha air cooled engines. Suzuki used to make some large air cooled engines also. Air cooled V-Twin engines have special heat problems due to the rear cylinder getting very poor air flow so they need an oil that will handle the heat, maintain adequate viscosity, and not volatilize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back