Mobil 1 two types of 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
One car done and a few more to go...

My wife's SUV takes 0w20 but Mobil has two types... Extended Performance and Advanced Fuel Economy.

I have the Advanced on my Lexus (0w20) and have not seen any improvement on mileage.

Can someone help me with the difference between these two flavors on Mobil 1.

Thanks!

The extended performance line is meant for longer drain intervals. So base oils and additive packs are
Different.

Other than that. I'm not sure.

Jeff

The Acura has this percentage oil sensor and we change he oil at 20%. Will the extended last longer or be any better for the engine?

The extended performance variety provides for a longer change interval.

I don't think you will see any difference in fuel economy with either product.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
...So base oils and additive packs are different.
Jeff

Hi Jeff, not to contest your point, but can you point to references on this please?

I thought that, in recent years, the only difference between the green cap AFE and the gold cap EP within the same grades was (only) the quantity of additives and everything else including base oils was the same. Maybe that is why they can price the AFE and EP so close to each other.. I could be wrong though which stems my question!

Thanks.

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oils (0W20 and 0W30) are just a normal synthetic with marketing name. There are 3 main lines of Mobil 1: standard, High Mileage and Extended Performance.

Most auto parts chains price Extended Performance more than High Mileage, and standard the lowest.

As of now, Walmart has all M1 5-qt jugs for the same price of $25.17, therefore Extended Performance is a better buy than others.

I believe Walmart has them in the 5q jug for the same 25.17 price point.

If the EP is better, then I plan to go there....

Originally Posted By: Sportscarguy99
The Acura has this percentage oil sensor and we change he oil at 20%. Will the extended last longer or be any better for the engine?

99% of those systems have no Idea as to the actual oil conditions, ie: no fancy schmancy sensors scanning the oil for whatever...., some are simply mileage counters, some are more "intellegent" and factor in ambient temps,oil temps rpm's, duration of trips, the way you drive, and run it all through an algorithim to come up with the rate @ which the percentage drops.
ie: 1000 mi of stop and go short tripping might drop the remaining life 30%, wile 1000 mi highway trip might only drop it 2-5%.

and as far as the AFE 0w20 goes, IIRC the claims of improved fuel econ are vs using 5w20....i think...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre

99% of those systems have no Idea as to the actual oil conditions, ie: no fancy schmancy sensors scanning the oil for whatever...., some are simply mileage counters, some are more "intellegent" and factor in ambient temps,oil temps rpm's, duration of trips, the way you drive, and run it all through an algorithim to come up with the rate @ which the percentage drops.
ie: 1000 mi of stop and go short tripping might drop the remaining life 30%, wile 1000 mi highway trip might only drop it 2-5%.

and as far as the AFE 0w20 goes, IIRC the claims of improved fuel econ are vs using 5w20....i think...

I watch mine on my '12 F-150 and whether a day of rarely reaching top gear or 16 hrs on the highway it pretty consistently drops a pct point every 100 miles. So mine is not that intelligent but it counts good.

Originally Posted By: ElvisFX4

I watch mine on my '12 F-150 and whether a day of rarely reaching top gear or 16 hrs on the highway it pretty consistently drops a pct point every 100 miles. So mine is not that intelligent but it counts good.

this sable is the first car i've had with an OLM, and so far... that sounds about right. and the rate it was dropping before my last change, it seems to be calibrated for a 6mo OCI, if you don't put enough miles on it.

Originally Posted By: ElvisFX4

this sable is the first car i've had with an OLM, and so far... that sounds about right. and the rate it was dropping before my last change, it seems to be calibrated for a 6mo OCI, if you don't put enough miles on it.

I wish I only put enough miles to be able to test that equation. I turned 33k on the 1 yr anniversary.

I went to Walmart and got the EP 0W20 for my wife's car.

My next change is for my daughter's Maxima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back