Mobil 1 turning dark at 600 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This the first time I've run Mobil 1 and the oil started turning dark at 600 miles. Its even darker yet at 800. I've never seen another oil turn dark this quick. Is this normal for this oil?

Originally Posted By: brian12

This the first time I've run Mobil 1 and the oil started turning dark at 600 miles. Its even darker yet at 800. I've never seen another oil turn dark this quick. Is this normal for this oil?

what car do u have? how many miles? what has been the OCI pattern prior to Mobil 1?

I'd say its cleaning, especially if it is the first time you've used it.

AD

Originally Posted By: MBCLK
Originally Posted By: brian12

what car do u have? how many miles? what has been the OCI pattern prior to Mobil 1?
I have a 97 Corolla with a 137,000 miles. The oil has been mostly changed at 3 to 4,000 mile intervals.

Run this M1 oci a little shorter than normal if it makes you feel better. I'd agree that it's most likely doing some cleaning.

I'd also say that it's nothing to worry about. Some say the specific additive pack in oil, when exposed to high temps eventually causes the oil to change color. Others say it happens because it is actually doing some cleaning... maybe it's a bit of both.

I had an A4 a while back in which I started running M1 from about 5k miles (when the synthetic factory fill was dumped). It would always turn dark rather fast, even though technically there shouldn't be much cleaning to be done...

Originally Posted By: webfors
Run this M1 oci a little shorter than normal if it makes you feel better. I'd agree that it's most likely doing some cleaning.

^^x2

it's cleaning,run this one short, 2000 miles or less then run again,may take a few OCI to get to slow down.

I ran M-1 0w40 in my 2002 Saab 9-3 (2.0L) for 5k mile OCIs. I stood there and watched them pour the new oil in and it was dark after 500 miles on the new oil. And it happened with every oil change.

No worries.

Why such short OCIs on a normally aspirated engine?

Welcome to the new BITOG....
smirk2.gif

It's good to know all the marketing is working.

"It's good to know all the marketing is working. "

My thoughts as well.

Don't worry about the color of the oil, that has little to do with anything.

And I would consider increasing your OCI's a bit, especially on M1.

looks like its getting cleaned...after u dump this oil out and do the next oil change with the same oil. im curious to see what the color is after 800 miles...stay tuned...

Keep it up brian. i hope u keep us updated.

I don't think it is the add pack getting dark. It must be cleaning a dirty engine. I used M1 for 11 years on my last car, and it stayed surprisingly light-colored compared to conventional oil I used on other cars, even up to my 7K miles OCI. Because I used M1 on a new car from 3K miles onward for 11 years, the engine never got dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back