Mobil 1 Truck SUV versus German Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am debating as to which one would do better in a 7,500-10,000 mile OCI on an '98 Audi 30v V6, as well as a 94 honda civic, or just in general.

Kragen has a coupon for $3.99/qt for Mobil 1, so this would be an excellent opportunity to pick up the SUV oil for a great price.

However, Autozone also has a special right now, 22.99 for 5 quarts of (GC) Syntec and a stp filter.

Also, my local walmart has 5w30, 10w30, and 15w50 for $3.38/qt (too bad they don't have suv or 0w40 for this price). I fell that the 15w50 would be too thick for the audi, and definately too thick for the civic, but would offer great protection and quietness.

As I see it, both GC and Mobil SUV oil are good oils; I would consider the SUV to be slightly better and shear stable than the 0w40 european formula. Both the GC and the SUV have around the same cSt, with the SUV being a little higher, so that should help with consumption on the audi.

Right now I'm running GC in the audi and it runs great, very quiet, and smooth. Also running the GC in the 94 civic and it runs great as well (my brother is rather hard on the civic).

Any comments? I really want to get a good all around oil, and I know that mobil 10w30 is a great one, especially at $3.38/qt. But when GC and SUV aren't on sale, they are $4.99/qt.

Thanks in advance

In this particular car, GC would get my vote. It's just more ideal for cars IMO.

GC gets my vote for the Audi, and it's fine for the Civic, too. M1 5w30 would do well in the Civic also. If the Audi/Civic is burnin' oil you could try a high-mileage dino oil and change the oil every 3k - 5k miles. I'd leave the SUV oil for the SUVs.

I have GC in my 30v passat right now and it really likes it. Runs very smooth but also has good power and seems to rev easy. I tried some 15w-40 in it for a couple of days, and while the motor was very smooth and quite, it also felt like I had placed 600 pounds in the back. It just didn't respond as fast to the accelerator. Although I've read on this forum that GC may be causing some sludging issues. I'm keeping my eye on that disscussion and will go to the t&suv if GC turns out to have issues.

quote:

Originally posted by williar:
GC gets my vote for the Audi, and it's fine for the Civic, too. M1 5w30 would do well in the Civic also. If the Audi/Civic is burnin' oil you could try a high-mileage dino oil and change the oil every 3k - 5k miles. I'd leave the SUV oil for the SUVs.

Some of the audis have consumption issues because of the low tension rings that audi used. Right now, the audi is using very little on the GC. As far as the civic, it has never consumed oil unless my bro was in vtec alot (its a 1994 sohc vtec, with about 95k miles on it). I would choose the mobil 10w30 over the 5w30 as it is more shear stable; it doesn't get that cold in S.California.

The GC does look like the better choice overall here...maybe it really is the best all around oil. But that sludge thing is maybe a concern?

quote:

I'd leave the SUV oil for the SUVs.

By that logic, one shouldn't even run the M1 SUV in any gasoline engine as it was originally designed for diesel, as it is just rebadged Delvac 1.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Pyrek:

quote:

I'd leave the SUV oil for the SUVs.

By that logic, one shouldn't even run the M1 SUV in any gasoline engine as it was originally designed for diesel, as it is just rebadged Delvac 1.

From what i understand off of the UOAs, people have had great results with Delvac 1 on gasoline engines.

Bitog now has many members running GC now. I would wait to see if any more members have problems with it, before condemning it for leaving deposits in your engine. I have GC in my truck, and my camry at the present time, and I pulled the valvecover on my truck after 2500 miles on GC..........and it is as clean as a whistle. I am sure that the delvac (mobil suv) would work just as well in most applications.

Only issue I have with GC is finding it and not being sure what is actually in the bottle. Castrol is not a very consistant brand in terms of marketing and whats actually in the bottle. Not too thrilled about that personally.

As long as it says 'made in Germany' on the bottle, I would bet that it's going to be pretty good stuff. BTW, does anyone have a clue as to why it has that green color when other good synthetics do not? Just curious...

I think that schaeffer's is also green.
dunno.gif

I have an '01 Audi A4 (2.8L V6)...I am running GC 0W30 right now. I will hit 40,000 miles in 2 months and will send off for an oil analysis when I get the oil changed. The GC will have right at 7700 miles on it. If you can wait, I will post the results.

I use GC in my 98 Audi 30v V6. Several long ocis and I luv it. Smooth and quiet and good mpg. I will substitute Belgian Syntec 5w-40 for summer though...just to save my GC stash. I will be using M1 5w-40 in a few cars that I want to switch to 1x yearly changes since it will be easy to get. Not my car, I go 2x a year and "Castrol Only"!

quote:

sludge thing

...an Eastern European issue with the super-extended ocis (60,000km) due to inferior fuels.

[ March 22, 2004, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Only issue I have with GC is finding it and not being sure what is actually in the bottle. Castrol is not a very consistant brand in terms of marketing and whats actually in the bottle. Not too thrilled about that personally.

Buster,

Couldn't you order it from your local AutoZone? Also doesn't AutoZone have a website you could order from? In addition, I thought that it had been established that GC was Castrol Formula SLX (Group IV and GroupV).

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

Buster,

Couldn't you order it from your local AutoZone? Also doesn't AutoZone have a website you could order from? In addition, I thought that it had been established that GC was Castrol Formula SLX (Group IV and GroupV).

You still won't know what you're getting until it comes in. All the versions of Syntec 0W-30 carry the same UPC and description at Autozone...

Hi ChrisW,

I'd say you're safe running either oil in either vehicle. Do you have a preference? Or an availability issue? If so, go with what you like and can get consistently.

What would I do? Well, based on this UOA from a Civic running M1 15W-50, I'd go with the M1 5W-40 in both cars & call it good. Do you know what sort of additive package Audi specs for their OE oil? (Do they have an OE oil?) I found out (thru this site) that Saab's OE oils are all diesel-style, gasoline-approved oils. I also discovered that they sell & recommend heavier viscosities in Europe than they do in the U.S. I wouldn't be too surprised if Audi followed a similar practice.

Just to follow-up, I just sent off my oil sample of GC 0W30 (for 2001 Audi A4 V6) with close to 6700 miles on it. When I get the information back from Blackstone, I will post in the UOA section.

quote:

Originally posted by Curtis Newton:
Just to follow-up, I just sent off my oil sample of GC 0W30 (for 2001 Audi A4 V6) with close to 6700 miles on it. When I get the information back from Blackstone, I will post in the UOA section.

I currently have ~7500miles on the GC in the audi right now. I wonder if i should wait for the oil change light to come on, or change it out at around 10k miles? I've only had to add about maybe 1/4 - 1/2 quart to top up. It has been stable over the last 2500 miles with no change in level. Still runs quiet and smooth. No smell of fuel in the oil either. Though, I did change the air filter about 1500 miles ago, so this could change the UOA result a bit.

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:

quote:

Originally posted by Curtis Newton:

I currently have ~7500miles on the GC in the audi right now. I wonder if i should wait for the oil change light to come on, or change it out at around 10k miles? I've only had to add about maybe 1/4 - 1/2 quart to top up. It has been stable over the last 2500 miles with no change in level. Still runs quiet and smooth. No smell of fuel in the oil either. Though, I did change the air filter about 1500 miles ago, so this could change the UOA result a bit.

Take it to 10k! We need more 10k and higher UOAs on GC to prove this oil can handle long drains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back