Mobil 1 Truck & SUV specs released

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good news since the "Truck and SUV" oil is the same price as M1. Delvac1 normally cost more than M1 and is hard to find.

Thanks heyjay

quote:

Unfortunately, Exxon-Mobil is continuing its "new" tradition of not publishing detailed oil test results such as MRV BPT or any MRV values at all.

They don't even list the HTHS...
rolleyes.gif

I am using the Delvac 1 5W-40 in my 4.0L Jeep as of the this oil change..like the performance thus far (pressure at cold start-up,idle pressure,etc.)E-mailed the Mobil tech dept.before I went to the Delvac 1 and they replied that it would be fine in my application.Wal-mart in my area sells it at $38.50 Can. a 4 litre jug..kinda expensive but I like the stuff so far and will keep it in the crank a bit longer to get the most outa it.No scientific data to back my claim...but I'm sure I'm getting better gas mileage
grin.gif

That's a pretty low VI, especially when compared with the 0w40. Should that mean that this oil would shear less than the 0w40?
Considering the same CI-4 specs, could this be a rebadged Delvac1?

Wow, I just compared the specs myself, they are exaclty the same, value for value.. That can't be a coincidence can it? If this 5w40 follows the pricing of regular 10w30 then here in Canada it will be about $3 cheaper per litre.. nice.
canada.gif

[ February 11, 2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Quick_lude ]

For HD equipment operators, this is a HUGE savings if we're allowed to use it. Since this is a new product, my Cummins rep told me I couldn't use it until they give their stamp of approval.

I only hope Wal*Mart or another discounter carries it. For example: I've noticed in Canada that Wal*Mart does NOT carry Mobil 1 0W-30 but has their own "Tech 2000 Synthetic 0W-30."

I did call Mobil techline and they claim they no longer have access to detailed specs like HTHS, MRV, etc. I was really p***** off as Delvac 1 is supposed to be their star product, at least one of their more expensive products.

Yet I notice the Delvac 1300 Super CI-4 15W-40 has much more test data:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSE2CVLMOMobilDelvac1300Super.asp

What gives??

Jerry

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I'd be interested in the viscosity at 100, 120, 140, and 160 degree C.

Following ASTM D445 test procedures, Exxon Mobil lists the kinematic viscosity at 100 C as 14.8 cSt.

I don't know offhand of any oil company that tests oil viscosity at 120 C or 140 C.

The ASTM D4683, the HTHS test, is run at an elevated 150 C and under very high shearing (One million shears per second).

For example, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 is rated for HTHS as 4.3 mPa s @ 150 C. The designation mPa s is comparable to cSt, so you could also state the HTHS as 4.3 cSt @ 150 C.

By comparison, Mobil 1 15W-50 is HTHS rated as 5.11 mPa s @ 150 C. Hopefully not too many folks need to run an oil that robust.

Delvac 1 5W-40 appears to be a VERY stable and shear-resistant oil, so assuming M1 Truck & SUV is indeed the same, it should perform well.

Jerry

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
Heaven forbid that the consumer had too much info..
rolleyes.gif

Jerry, try calling these guys at www.noco.com/canada and see if they can get you the 0w30 or 5w40.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm in North West Ontario, and since NOCO is in Toronto, that really doesn't help too much.

I just take the time to drive down to Minnesota and pick up the 0W-30 at NAPA or K*Mart. For as often as I have to do that, it's a nice little trip for me.

Jerry

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go for it and give it a try in my Accord at my next oil change.

Delvac 1 HT/HS = 4.1
smile.gif

This is an older PDS sheet.

quote:

Mobil Delvac 1
Typical Characteristics
Product Number 44111-3
SAE Grade 5W-40
Gravity, API 32.3
Pour Point, °C (°F) -54 (-65)
Flash Point, ASTM D 92, °C (°F) 230 (446)
Viscosity
cSt at 40° C
cSt at 100° C
SUS at 100° F
SUS at 210° F
Cranking Viscosity,
cP at -25° C
Pumping Viscosity,
cP at -35° C
Borderline Pumping Temperature, °C -44
HT/HS, cP at 150° C 4.1
Viscosity Index 167
Sulfated Ash, wt % 1.3
TBN, ASTM D 2896 11
Color, ASTM D 1500 5

[ February 11, 2004, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Nitpickin' I know, but

quote:

For example, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 is rated for HTHS as 4.3 mPa s @ 150 C. The designation mPa s is comparable to cSt, so you could also state the HTHS as 4.3 cSt @ 150 C. comparable to cSt, so you could also state the HTHS as 4.3 cSt @ 150 C.

Dynamic viscosity is N.s/m^2 = 1 Poise, so 1 mPa.s = (0.001) Pa.s = = 1 cP or 1 centipoise, as the HTHS is always listed at the cP viscosity at 150 C.

Kinematic Viscosity is 1 mm^2/s is = 1 centistokes or cSt.

Buster,

You posted the specs for the older, CH-4 version of Delvac 1, NOT the current formulation....

CI-4/Delvac 1:

14.8 Cst @ 100C
VI of 151
PP of -49F
CCS @ -30C of approx 6000 Cp
FP of +439
Noack? ....The CH-4 stuff was approx 10%
TBN of 12.0
HT/HS of approx 4.0 Cp

quote:

Originally posted by Buzzsaw:
What is HTHS? Thanks.

HT/HS is a measure of the oils ability to resist 'shearing' or viscosity reduction. The standard HT/HS test is at 1 million 'shears' per second at 250C.

Essentially, this number gives you the worst possible viscosity the oil will give. A higher number allows the oil to provide lubrication in high shear locations, like the bearing surfaces, lifter lobes, pushrod tips, etc.

ferb!

It's amazing how Mobil wants to dumb everything down. First they market that oil as "Truck and SUV" oil, which is about the most primitive marketing I can imagine, and then they won't even disclose the full specs? Give me one good reason, why I would support a company who treats their customers like under-age kids. I know that I will not keep using this oil, no matter how good it is, just out of principle, unless I get to see full specs published by Mobil. I actually found a guy who can get me the 5W-40 Red Line locally for a good price, so I'm all set. After 3k miles I'll sample the M1 5W-40, have a UPA done, post the results, use it for the remainder, then switch to Red Line. Not with me Mobil!
mad.gif
tongue.gif

Well, it appears Mobil has finally released the full specs for the new Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Truck_SUV_5W-40.asp

Unfortunately, Exxon-Mobil is continuing its "new" tradition of not publishing detailed oil test results such as MRV BPT or any MRV values at all.

Based on a quick comparison of Delvac 1 5W-40 CI-4 at the Mobil web site, and M1 T&SUV 5W-40, they appear to be exactly the same. Of course, these are very limited specs that EM now publishes.

Interesting notation which is sure to fuel the "viscosity recommended" debates here, as EM has the following quote:

"Mobil 1 Truck & SUV is a 5W-40 viscosity grade product and is recommended by ExxonMobil where 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-40 lubricants are specified"

My local NAPA dealer has expressed interest in carrying this oil. I now feel better about trying it out in April on my 2000 GMC Sierra with Vortec 5.3 V8.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

I am actually planning on using this oil to switch a few cars to once-yearly changes. Guaranteed to do extended drains, up to 15,000-20,000 seems possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back