Mobil 1 Truck & SUV now!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a guy who is sponsored by SOPUS and the guy who said we should "trust shell" while posting links to you tube marketing on nearly every RGT thread are suggesting that I shouldn't have an opinion - in a thread on Mobil 1 oil?

You'll notice I said both flavors of truck oil, why are you only concerned with negative opinions on shell?

Your bias is showing.

SOPUS actually had a decent chance on this site with the oil. People seemed interested. Their milequetoast "Q&A" (I mean... really, they could have just posted a picture of the bottle's label for all the difference it would have made) and the subsequent shilling left numerous people with a bad taste.

I'll continue to actively recommend other options for folks who ask, because there is no evidence to the contrary to suggest that either RGT or Mobil1 t&suv do anything that any other dexos (RGT) oil does not.

In fact, I'll continue to recommend the same thing that I've been doing the whole time - which is to pick the bottle/color scheme/brand name that makes you feel most comfortable - because that is about all the real-world difference that really matters for us mere proles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BLND1
So a guy who is sponsored by SOPUS and the guy who said we should "trust shell" while posting links to you tube marketing on nearly every RGT thread are suggesting that I shouldn't have an opinion - in a thread on Mobil 1 oil? other decos1g2 oil does not.

Which poster in this thread is "sponsored by SOPUS"?

Originally Posted by Garak
Heck, I grumble enough about Shell/Pennzoil/Quaker State when I don't agree with their marketing strategies, let alone any other oil company. However, they are entitled to market and provide products. Simply put, a dexos1 offering was sorely missing outside of the Pennzoil-Quaker State line, and this fulfills that shortfall without needlessly affecting the Formula Shell lineup. Oil companies can't win. If they would have made Formula Shell synthetic dexos1, people would be complaining the last non-dexos1 big name synthetic has bowed to GM. They don't do it, and the formulation is behind the times. Go figure.

Fleets now have a need (or at least a defensible want) for dexos1 oils. Rotella is often a choice among fleet purchasers. The conclusion of those two premises is obvious.
I believe you got a good point here. For those business that maintain there fleet in house, that depend on Rotella for there motor oils. They can mostly rely on Rotella to cover there needs for everything from Semis to there salesmen's cars. In this day and age, basically diesel and gas engines can't share oils anymore, like they used to. How would you like to see the reaction of a guy, if you were to tell him that Rotella got you covered on his wifes Chevy Malibu, but not his Chevy Colorado Diesel.

Originally Posted by BLND1
So a guy who is sponsored by SOPUS and the guy who said we should "trust shell" while posting links to you tube marketing on nearly every RGT thread are suggesting that I shouldn't have an opinion - in a thread on Mobil 1 oil?

No one, particularly me, said you shouldn't have an opinion or shouldn't express it. Also note that I didn't engage in slamming Mobil in this thread or suggesting they try something else. I am the first to state that all dexos1 Gen 2 oils of the same viscosity are virtually interchangeable and indistinguishable in use, with certain products, notably Mobil and Castrol, having a warranty for extended drains, depending upon product tier. I'm not brand blind by any stretch of the imagination. Check the old thread in the photos section and you can see pictures of my oil stash. Maybe I'll take some more and show the updates. It's not exactly a Shell warehouse.

In various threads, I've told people not to panic about M1 0w-40 losing LL-01, and the same with a couple Castrol variants. I've told people not to head for the hills because Mobil changed a formulation on an HDEO. I've mentioned my appreciation for the capabilities of Max Life, and the nice price point Chevron can be had at local trucking outfits. I've defended Red Line in several UOA threads. I've defended Amsoil's marketing strategy. I'm also a Royal Purple fan. I've talked up Ravenol and wished it were more available.

Also note that I've taken many companies I like to task when I disagree with them. I had a very public disagreement here with Gena from Pennzoil over what can be used in a vehicle calling for an API SM 5w-40. I've groused about the ongoing changes to QS Defy/ED/Blend or whatever the name of the month is. I complain regularly about Shell's two-tiered distribution system. I blast Ford about their ongoing oil specification difficulties and other things I disagree with, despite having more seat time in Fords than in anything else. I give every other automaker a hard time. I've told many a joke at FCA's expense. I complain about Castrol and Mobil container sizes.

I know people want to see more from Q&As here. That is, unfortunately, not realistic. They are going to be marketing exercises. They're clearly not going to divulge proprietary information, make fantastic claims about the product, or hand out VOAs. They are a product awareness exercise and I appreciate that. Expecting much more is bound to lead to disappointment.

It's fine to have an opinion. My opinion is that I want products to improve and customers' experiences to improve. I like when products of all kinds and of good quality are readily available to the customers who want them and at a good price. That's it - no more and no less. One cannot please everyone, so the bare minimum is a wide selection of quality products at a good price and readily available. I'm not here wishing that a perfectly suitable, useful product that satisfies a market segment would fall off the face of the earth.

NH73: Maybe a dexos2 variant is needed next. Or, GM can just go the Chrysler route and waffle off to E7, E9 or the Cummins spec, and then the Rotella catalog is more than sufficient.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back