Mobil 1 Truck & SUV now!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by klt1986
My guess is it is mainly a marketing ploy to try to get more shelf space.

Yep I think that as well. It's pure marketing

Noted, its odd no dexos1 Gen2 certification since there are a lot of GM engines out there, and Mobil 1 is in cahoots with GM a lot.
Not to worry, as Shell Rotella Gas Truck is out now, and it looks fine for relatively cheap at walmart.

Marketing hype will get sales from the 90% that don't read the spec in their manual beyond grade required and an API SN+ seal.

I guess they're following Shell, hoping to dominate shelf space and sell to Truck and SUV owners since car sales have lost a lot of ground to them. Another marketing ploy, not much more.

Can't wait to get this and Rotella Gas Truck for $10 per jug at Autozone come clearance season.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Can't wait to get this and Rotella Gas Truck for $10 per jug at Autozone come clearance season.

With as obnoxious as some of the marketing has been, its actually encouraged me to actively recommend other options to friends and people I talk to. I've been able to steer a half dozen people away from them. It's not much, but I do what I can.

Just like Quaker State 4x4 synthetic blend. That didn't last long, picked up a bunch at Big Lots cheap.

This is not the first time this oil has been on the market. The last time it was nearly identical to
Delvac-1 there was no reason not to buy Delvac which often less cost.

I'm not sure why you're so offended by Shell trying to market their products. What is obnoxious about it? Shell had a Q&A here (more than one, even) and they engage in product giveaways. SOPUS buys banner ads here, too, as do others. I guess I'm also personally sponsored by Shell, if you want to look at it that way, but my use of QS predates the absorption of it and Pennzoil into Shell and I used Pennzoil before Delvac 1 in my G37. Note that people have said the same thing about Mobil and Castrol advertising, and I come to their defence as well.

Shell and the other oil companies that sponsor this site make it possible for us to do what we do here.

Finally Garak provides the voice of reason. It is tiresome reading people mindlessly parrot the same negative opinion about these new offerings.

Originally Posted by Garak
I'm not sure why you're so offended by Shell trying to market their products. What is obnoxious about it? Shell had a Q&A here (more than one, even) and they engage in product giveaways. SOPUS buys banner ads here, too, as do others. I guess I'm also personally sponsored by Shell, if you want to look at it that way, but my use of QS predates the absorption of it and Pennzoil into Shell and I used Pennzoil before Delvac 1 in my G37. Note that people have said the same thing about Mobil and Castrol advertising, and I come to their defence as well.

Shell and the other oil companies that sponsor this site make it possible for us to do what we do here.

Last edited:
Heck, I grumble enough about Shell/Pennzoil/Quaker State when I don't agree with their marketing strategies, let alone any other oil company. However, they are entitled to market and provide products. Simply put, a dexos1 offering was sorely missing outside of the Pennzoil-Quaker State line, and this fulfills that shortfall without needlessly affecting the Formula Shell lineup. Oil companies can't win. If they would have made Formula Shell synthetic dexos1, people would be complaining the last non-dexos1 big name synthetic has bowed to GM. They don't do it, and the formulation is behind the times. Go figure.

Fleets now have a need (or at least a defensible want) for dexos1 oils. Rotella is often a choice among fleet purchasers. The conclusion of those two premises is obvious.

Amen, I can't wait for the "M1 Multi-Annual protection 100,000 Mile Truck and SUV unicorn tears ultimate synthetic oil" to be clearanced out at AAP for $1 a qt
lol.gif
happy2.gif

Last edited:

You and me both!

Originally Posted by Uregina09
Finally Garak provides the voice of reason. It is tiresome reading people mindlessly parrot the same negative opinion about these new offerings.
Originally Posted by Garak
I'm not sure why you're so offended by Shell trying to market their products. What is obnoxious about it?

Very true. SOPUS has a good reputation, and knows how to brew an oil. I wouldn't doubt them.

If somebody (BLND1) was offended by Rotella Gas Truck, maybe they could pick Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w30
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...626/shell-rotella-t6-multi-vehicle-5w-30
which is good for someone wanted a thicker HTHS oil for towing or hard driving in hot weather with a turbo, but wanted to stick with a 5w30 approved for gasoline engines. That works.

I'd put either of them in my vehicle if the price is right … fact is I trust Mobil and Shell on lubricants …
Besides … name me a business that does not market and they are either gone or in bankruptcy …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back