Mobil 1 Truck & Suv for 6.0 GMC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently bought a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0 Ext Cab 4x4 and was wondering how many other 6.0 engines out there are using Mobil Truck & Suv 5w40? I made my first oil change at 1700 miles, and used Mobil 5w30. Ive searched these forums and there seems to be a consensus that the LS1 based engines prefer a heavier type oil. Im more concerned with engine longetivity versus say performance. I plan on running 5w40 year round and would like to get some feedback from yall... This is my first post!!! I enjoy these forums and all the info that yall provide. Thanks....
smile.gif

Hi,
yes the oil you suggest - M1 T&SUV 5w-40 - will work very well in that engine

I can confirm that LS1 based engines do like this viscosity and quality of engine lubricant

Regards
Doug

You could surely get away with a lower visc oil ..and surely many will recommend just that which is spec'd for the engine.
wink.gif

That being said, I would think that your choice will result in absolute assurance that there will be no lubrication related issues with your engine. This oil is bullet proof (anyone see it get beat up under any type of service yet??). The price is a bargain for what you get (although some can't really take advantage of it due to its weight) ..and it preforms well in extended drains(a nebulous and elusive number as to what constitutes an extended drain).

Use it and don't look back, IMHO.

Mobil Truck & Suv 5w40 may be great oil, but what happens if you have a warranty problem with the engine. What kind of receipts are you going to show the service manager?

Mobil 1 in the recommended grade has shown to work well in this engine:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

I'd stick with the factory recommendation through the warranty period and do a couple of UOAs to check on the health of the engine.

I recently switched my 97 4.0 Jeep Grand Cherokee to M1 T & SUV. The in-line 6 with 110,000 miles seems to really like the heavier oil.

I also use M1 T&SUV in my wifes 95 Taurus 4.0
V-6 with 85,000 miles. She averages less than 8,000 miles per year. I felt T&SUV was a good choice for her low milage.

My 94 454 P-30 motorhome & generator will get M1 T&SUV on it next oil change. I am currently running M1 10w30.

Having said all that. If I had a new vehicle, I would probably use the mfr recomended viscosity through the waranty period. The exception might be if you were towing a large trailer in a hot climate.

I am by no means an oil expert
spaz.gif

427Z06,

You should listen to my dear friend, Mr. Doug Hillary.

The man KNOWS what he's talking about...
wink.gif

Teddles, I listen, or I should say, I read what Doug writes all the time. In fact, if I'm in a hurry, I might skip a few posts, but I make sure I read what Doug posts since what he writes generally agrees with the information I assimilated over many years. But nobody's perfect, including moi.
grin.gif

I'm quite sure that Mr. Hillary will tell you the 6.0L, LS1 equipped GTO - sold in Australia as the "Holden" - recommends a range of oil viscosities including SAE 5w-40/10w-40, depending on ambient temps. This type of engineering based, lubrication approach (also practiced by all German manufacturers) makes much more sense than a "5w-20 or 5w-30 for everything" recommendation....

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Mobil Truck & Suv 5w40 may be great oil, but what happens if you have a warranty problem with the engine. What kind of receipts are you going to show the service manager?

Mobil 1 in the recommended grade has shown to work well in this engine:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

I'd stick with the factory recommendation through the warranty period and do a couple of UOAs to check on the health of the engine.

People say this all the time, but I have never, ever known someone personally who took a vehicle in for service and had to produce said receipts. Not to say it doesn't happen (I'm sure ten people will post now about having to show receipts), especially in cars that are very demanding on oil and/or sludge prone, but I think it's safe to say this isn't one of those cases. I really don't think most dealers care what oil you use, as long as it looks like you have been changing it. I always just hang onto the tops off the oil filter boxes- bring 'em those, and they'll at least know you've been changing oil and in all likelihood will be happy. Heck, if you're that worried about it, just go buy a few cases of M1 in whatever grade is recommended for the truck, hang on to the receipt, then go back and exchange the oil for the T&SUV. All that being said, I've got to admit that one of the attractions of Schaeffer's for me was that it was a "specialty" oil that was API certified in the correct weight for my Ram.....

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I'm quite sure that Mr. Hillary will tell you the 6.0L, LS1 equipped GTO - sold in Australia as the "Holden" - recommends a range of oil viscosities including SAE 5w-40/10w-40, depending on ambient temps. This type of engineering based, lubrication approach (also practiced by all German manufacturers) makes much more sense than a "5w-20 or 5w-30 for everything" recommendation....

Where is the "engineering based, lubrication approach" when you recommend 5w40 HDEO for every engine on the planet? Your guilty of the same approach. And ask Mr Hillary if that 6.0L, LS2(?) equipped Holden has an oil cooler on it like this truck does.

quote:

Originally posted by CMT:
People say this all the time, but I have never, ever known someone personally who took a vehicle in for service and had to produce said receipts. Not to say it doesn't happen (I'm sure ten people will post now about having to show receipts), especially in cars that are very demanding on oil and/or sludge prone, but I think it's safe to say this isn't one of those cases. I really don't think most dealers care what oil you use, as long as it looks like you have been changing it......

This might be an interesting read for you:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=001196;p=1

Quote from page 10:

This from the warranty booklet for the new Pontiac GTO I bought Monday afternoon:

"Owner's Warranty Responsibilities

As the vehicle owner, you are responsible for the performance of the scheduled maintenance listed in your owner manual.

As the vehicle owner, you should also be aware that GM may deny warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper or insufficient maintenance, or modifications not approved by GM."

I find it interesting that the 9000 rpm redline, Honda S2000 engine, recommends either 10w-30 or 5w-40 for all temps - but not 5w-20 like the other Honda/Acura engines. I'd love to hear your theory as to why that might be?

It's just a wild guess, but I suspect they'd like the engine to outlast the powertrain warranty...
wink.gif

Do you think M1 T&SUV would be good for older low mileage engines? Like the 2.9L V6 in my 88' Ford Bronco II with 46,000 miles on it. 10W-40 is recomended in the manual I don't think they had many 5W-40 weight oils in 1988.

quote:

I find it interesting that the 9000 rpm redline, Honda S2000 engine, recommends either 10w-30 or 5w-40 for all temps - but not 5w-20 like the other Honda/Acura engines. I'd love to hear your theory as to why that might be?

My theory is that the engineers tested this particular engine design, and considered the car/engine's intended application to determine the preferred solution(s).

And using your recommendation for low rpm engines to use thicker oil, I guess you would recommend something like a 75w90 in a big rig since some of those reach maxmium power as low as 2200 RPMs.
grin.gif

Last time I looked at a '02 S2000 manual it gave ambient temperature operating ranges for both 5W-40 and 10W-30 grades. But it's been awhile.

Looking back at this thread, I see no one even bothered to ask the original poster how he intended to use his to truck to justify a deviation from the manufacturer's recommendation.
nono.gif

quote:

It's just a wild guess, but I suspect they'd like the engine to outlast the powertrain warranty...
wink.gif

Yep, the highway is just littered with all those Honda/Acuras with 5w20 induced failed engines. Funny thing is, it just must not be hot enough here in Austin during the summer, since I haven't seen a single case yet during the entire 4+ years Honda/Acuras have been shipping vehicles with 5w20 in them.
tongue.gif

I think we can say that there is a broad range of acceptable viscosity in the absense of ultra-high speed/high stress operation. We've seen no mass failures due to viscosity related anomalies. Our mass issues have been with OCI's and such (1.8 VW, etc.) with their sludging.

Doug surely knows what he's talking about ..OTOH ..he is from Australia ..which means that lightweight is D1/tsuv
grin.gif
(images of 25 ft great white = guppie
wink.gif
)

Hi,
I really can't believe it - a mixture of pats and kicks again!

I was merely answering the persons question in a succinct manner - Oh well!

The Holden Dealers here use M1 10w-30 - the GM recommended oil - and I am pretty sure that oil coolers are NOT fitted. The Special Vehicles range may have them but these cars are "hand built" to order

Oil consumption issues with these engines initially cost GM a packet here. The reasons were covered on BITOG a year or two ago. A quick fix was M1 5w-50!

It would be unwise to generally assume that our oils are overly viscous across the board. The reverse is the fact! The volume selling cars here are all on 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40 lubricants and have been for many years.
The trucking Industry here (like in the US) is locked into 15w-40 oils via the engine Manufacturer
Euro light and heavy trucks use 0w/5w-30, 5w-40 and 10w-40 viscosities

Regards
Doug

Relax, Doug ...all in fun. Your input is respected and always welcome.
smile.gif
It may appear like a free fire zone at times. Just a spirited debate over a few brews at the local watering hole.
wink.gif

I' don't think that Delvac 1 is a panacea or bandaid for engine problems, however I do like it better than the GF-4 rated, Mobil 1, 5w-30 and 10w-30 for a number of domestic pushrod motor applications. I also like it A LOT better than the Mobil 1, 0w-40, which has been shown to shear excessively in EXACTLY the type of high performance applications folks are most likely to use it in. The only drawback to using delvac 1 is slightly lower fuel efficiency than the 5w-30 and 10w-30 and a slight reduction in cold weather performance, due to the 30% thicker, HT/HS viscosity.

If I was recommending a Redline, Amsoil, Castrol or RP oil for these same application, it would most likely be one if their thicker, ACEA, "A3/B4" type, 0w-30s or 5w-30. However Mobil does not make such a product in the US like the excellent,, (3.5 Cp) Esso 0w-30 synthetic that's offered up in Canada. If that oil was available south of the border, it would be my primary recommendation in EOM's product line for these pushrod applications. Of course it doesn't meet API/SM specs or GF- 4 specs, due to the high level of AW additives - which is largely what makes it so good.
smile.gif

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back