Mobil 1 Truck oil for older car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw at tractor supply they had mobil 1 truck and SUV 5w30 for $15/5qrts. I have some coastal 10w40, liquimoly 10w40, and this mobil1. Now I just resurrected a 1984 chrysler fifth avenue. What oil do yall think I should use? I like the idea of synthetic cleaning this old engine. It is a flat tappet if that matters.

Biggest thing with a non-high mileage synthetic is the slight risk of opening up some leaks from dislodging crud that's slowing down the leaks you had already. I'm guessing your 5th Avenue is carbureted, so that means (to me) short OCIs due to likely fuel dilution, so cheap dino/blend is the way I would go, & changing it when it inevitably turns black & smells like gasoline. My father-in-law had one of those, believe it was a 318, & I had a commuter/beater '80 LeBaron slant-6 wagon for a long time, fought the carb on that one the whole time I had it.

Does the engine need a cleaning and what would be the benefits? I am trying to learn.

It is carbureted. I bought a Chinese knockoff of the Carter bbd. Seems to run ok. Maybe a lil to rich. Thought about using the liquimoly stuff. Im it's that gray oil with mos2 in it. 10w40 and rated SL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back