Mobil 1 Truck and SUV- new info on their website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by JLTD
Interesting that M1 ran 5w-30 when Ford is still recommending 5w-20 for the 5.0.

Does Ford recommend 5w30 for severe service in that engine?

Are you implying a thicker oil (5W-30) offers more protection than a thinner oil (5W-20)? Banish him!

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Interesting that M1 ran 5w-30 when Ford is still recommending 5w-20 for the 5.0.

Does Ford recommend 5w30 for severe service in that engine?

Are you implying a thicker oil (5W-30) offers more protection than a thinner oil (5W-20)? Banish him!

Lol, no, I asked if Ford either specified it under those conditions, or even allowed for it. that may explain XOM's decision to run 5w30.

Last edited:
The motor in the test was not a 5.0

Capture.PNG

Originally Posted by Purpfox
The motor in the test was not a 5.0

That makes more sense. That sounds like an Ecoboost 3.5, which Ford specs for a 5w30.

Sorry guys yeah I thought it was the 5.0....EB does spec 5w-30. Apologies for not looking at the head pics better on my phone....

The horror, the horror.

Amzoils boyz get out of the thread, lest the rest melt on their way down to the ground.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
This is a Mobil One thread. Why is Amsoil being discussed more than Mobil One? Time to change the title of the thread?

Originally Posted by ofelas
The horror, the horror.

Amzoils boyz get out of the thread, lest the rest melt on their way down to the ground.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
This is a Mobil One thread. Why is Amsoil being discussed more than Mobil One? Time to change the title of the thread?

Apparently it's a free country until Amsoil is discussed then it becomes Communist. You will only like SOPUS or M1 or Valvoline or else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
Small thing, but couldn't they have cast a more realistic guy in the video? He doesn't strike me as a truck guy at all, especially when he pops on the safety glasses and dons the red hat. I know we're a different breed around here, but it seems like a more credible "truck dude" would sell more "truck" oil.

Another problem with that video before you even hit 10 seconds is it shows a GM SUV that requires Dexos oil and their Truck & SUV oil doesn't meet that requirement... so bye bye warranty!

Given GM and XOM are R&D partners I doubt in the real world that would be much of an issue. It may be in the throes of being approved.

Originally Posted by buster
I wish I could still find it but Mobil ran regular Mobil 1 5w30 at elevated temps for 25k mile drains 2 qts low intentially. It was put out by their R&D team. I probably posted the link on here at one time if you want to try and dig it up. It was the most severe test I've seen an oil put through, other than short trip/cold situations which are ultimately the most severe in many aspects.

Back to the OP, I'm not a fan of the M1 SUV oil but I get what their doing.

Well buster you know I'm not Mobil One's biggest fan but like all of Mobil One's products the Truck SUV line is still high quality.

Much like flat bill hats and tweed jackets with elbow patches, I avoid using amsoil products to avoid being associated with their users.

This thread is an excellent example.

Seems like XOM is making "specialty" oils and seeing how much people are willing to pay. First it was (overpriced) AP, now it's (overpriced) SUV oil.

What's next...."4 cylinder special" (also overpriced)?

Seems like XOM is making "specialty" oils and seeing how much people are willing to pay. First it was (overpriced) AP, now it's (overpriced) SUV oil.

And what makes you think XOM is the only one doing this? How about overpriced Valvoline ME, or Rotella Truck/SUV?

The truth is, it is only overpriced if people aren't willing to pay for it. If it is overpriced for you, then there are options for good cheap oil, such as Supertech. I can't fault a company for trying to make money. I own stock in XOM and probably all the others, so I expect them to profit.

Originally Posted by rollinpete
Originally Posted by diyjake
I am just curious how much this new M1 SUV oil will cost.

Summit Racing $39.99

click here 0w20

click here 5w20

click here 5w30

Maybe cheaper somewhere else
21.gif

That's the price of AP at my local Wallyworld. Unless I see something in the data sheet that stands out, I'd stick with AP.

Yes another Exxon/Mobil idea on how to better fill their wallet.

The Truck SUV brand was marketed about 2 decades ago.

Somewhere, either in this thread or another, someone made the point that having all these product lines is a strategy to increase shelf space. This makes some sense.

In the couple of Walmart's I've been in, when you enter the oil aisle from rhe busy end, the first thing you see is a sea of blue Supertech jugs. They can't be missed. Opposite those are shelves full of blue Supertech oil filter boxes. You have to go past those to get to the rest of the brands. Shelf space is valued not only by the height but by location. Eye level shelf spaces is prime and if it's close to the busy arterial aisle (for the lack of a better term) that is also prime. In my local stores the oil aisle ends at the wall aisle which is not a great location.

So the suggestion of shelf placement strategy makes sense if you wish to increase brand visibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back