Mobil 1 Truck and SUV- new info on their website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC

Funny also that Amsoil had the 25,000 mile OCI out years before M1 came out with their 20,000 mile AP product.

No, it was one year. Amsoil came out with their 25k oil in 1974 and Mobile came out with their 25k oil in 1975.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Further if you look at M1's 20K mile AP product and you see light varnish on everything after their runs with it. But you see in the video above run at 25K miles 0 varnish.

Not trying to discredit the M1 product, just saying that when you compare their 20K run to Amsoil's 25K run under the same operational type the M1 leaves Varnish is all.

In the same engine, run on a dyno? I don't recall them running AP at 20K intervals in an Ecoboost unless I missed it
21.gif

Engine design and operating conditions play a significant role in deposit formation as we've previously discussed, which is why drain interval also needs to take that into account. Look at that million mile AMSOIL example we discussed where varnish was obviously an issue in that Chevrolet engine, yet the Ecoboost here is spotless.

He also bought that van slightly used and it was running some other oil before then. We assume that the varnish is Amsoil or the previous oil and previous regiment but we don't know.

What is impressive is the 25K mile OCI didn't have heaps of sludge, a ton more varnish or engine failure, and the measurements were within what the OEM called for after a million miles.

Last edited:
Further if you look at M1's 20K mile AP product and you see light varnish on everything after their runs with it. But you see in the video above run at 25K miles 0 varnish.

Not trying to discredit the M1 product, just saying that when you compare their 20K run to Amsoil's 25K run under the same operational type the M1 leaves Varnish is all.

Mobil1 has been "varnishing" engines for over 30 years. Back in the 80's this became a concern. I, and others, contacted Mobil about this and was told it wasn't varnish. It was simply a "discoloration" of the metal. Whatever that meant.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

Funny also that Amsoil had the 25,000 mile OCI out years before M1 came out with their 20,000 mile AP product.

No, it was one year. Amsoil came out with their 25k oil in 1974 and Mobile came out with their 25k oil in 1975.

And then Mobil backed away from the 25,000 mile claim until recently when they came back with a 20K mile claim. So no it's not 1 year.

He also bought that van slightly used and it was running some other oil before then. We assume that the varnish is Amsoil or the previous oil and previous regiment but we don't know.

What is impressive is the 25K mile OCI didn't have heaps of sludge, a ton more varnish or engine failure, and the measurements were within what the OEM called for after a million miles.

Sure, that's a possible theory too. Ultimately though, what I stated needs to be considered when observing results, because different applications have different requirements and will present differently in terms of deposit formation/varnish accumulation...etc.

Yes I hear you... I'm saying because their video was out first though it doesn't address the same loading issues for the same miles but to their credit the go much longer unloaded on the OCI so it should return similar results in a shorter OCI that is loaded but that I agreed with you it would be nice to have a video to confirm it.

That said, i've already sent them an e-mail asking if they could update their video and show a loaded truck instead because this would compete well with the new SOPUS and M1 products. We'll see what they say.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

And then Mobil backed away from the 25,000 mile claim until recently when they came back with a 20K mile claim. So no it's not 1 year.

There you go again twisting things around again. Mobil had their 25k oil for about 5 years. The OEM's raised a royal fit because the OM's were touting 3 to 5k oil changes. Mobil later put a disclaimer on the can that new car owners should follow their warranty requirement but the OEM's said it was too confusing. It wasn't about the oil not up to the performace, it was about ticking off the OEM's. Mobil caved and dropped the ad. Amsoil coudn't care less what the OEM's thought. To the OEM's they were a little fish in a big sea.

Provide proof of that... I'll wait here.

They have been "Change as per your manufacturers required interval" forever since the 25,000 mile claim back in the day.
Even on their 20K mile it says to change as per the manufacturer interval because they are worried about warranty claims.

Amsoil is the only one that puts their neck out there and claims they will back the engine should the lubricant fail to live up to the task. No lawsuits yet. Oh sorry I'm not allowed to point that out.
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'm sure they would have done a 15K mile towing test had they known that M1 was going to do 10K miles.
Heck we might even see this now that it's out. I'm sure they follow what M1 is doing considering they buy from them...

Maybe they did and they weren't happy with the outcome.......
wink.gif

Proof for that speculation?
wink.gif
We don't see them back peddling from their years of 25K mile claims... or even the 15K mile severe duty claims.

Amsoil has back peddled somewhat on their mileage claims. Nothing wrong with them changing their recommendations, as they have done their testing and as the engines today are getting harder on the oil, Amsoil has tweaked and adjusted their mileage claims.

Back when the Signature Series was first introduced to the market, Amsoil had the oil service life for Signature Series at 35,000 miles. We were Preferred Customers, and I thought that was crazy long intervals. Some engines can do it, others can't. Amsoil did not have the 700 hour drain intervals at that time either. That came out later. I think Amsoil realized that it was too long in some cases.

They also changed the formulation at the same time. Also engines are constantly changing and placing more and more demands on the oil and going from 35K to 25K is still far beyond other folks.

What other company will back their product with a warranty for the advertised mileage even while the vehicle is still under warranty? M1 doesn't. They advise using the product for the OE interval until the warranty is up. (Paraphrasing)

21.gif

Last edited:
Small thing, but couldn't they have cast a more realistic guy in the video? He doesn't strike me as a truck guy at all, especially when he pops on the safety glasses and dons the red hat. I know we're a different breed around here, but it seems like a more credible "truck dude" would sell more "truck" oil.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
Small thing, but couldn't they have cast a more realistic guy in the video? He doesn't strike me as a truck guy at all, especially when he pops on the safety glasses and dons the red hat. I know we're a different breed around here, but it seems like a more credible "truck dude" would sell more "truck" oil.

Another problem with that video before you even hit 10 seconds is it shows a GM SUV that requires Dexos oil and their Truck & SUV oil doesn't meet that requirement... so bye bye warranty!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
I wish I could still find it but Mobil ran regular Mobil 1 5w30 at elevated temps for 25k mile drains 2 qts low intentially. It was put out by their R&D team. I probably posted the link on here at one time if you want to try and dig it up. It was the most severe test I've seen an oil put through, other than short trip/cold situations which are ultimately the most severe in many aspects.

Back to the OP, I'm not a fan of the M1 SUV oil but I get what their doing.

I remember that. Mobil put it on their website to show the severe testing they put the regular Mobil 1 5W-30 through. They have since taken the video down. What impressed me about that video was the fact that Mobil purposely ran the long drain intervals 2 qts. low. It is one thing to run that long of an interval fully topped off to the full mark on the dipstick. Upon teardown, the engine parts still looked good though.

In this video of the Truck and SUV oil, it's good to see the valvetrain looking almost the same as before the test. And that is after 57,600 miles of simulated towing 5,000 pounds. Our dad tows with his truck, and we tow with our SUV. I have felt the heat coming off the engines after we have towed loads.

Our dad towed his travel trailer down to LA for his work, and back to Indiana. Mobil 1 has handled all the towing very well.

Originally Posted by Rand

Every thread doesnt need Amsoil in it. Its about as wanted as a turd in the swimming pool.

Quick!

Someone call Bushwood Country Club and have Carl, the greenskeeper, handle this!

Originally Posted by njohnson
Originally Posted by buster
I wish I could still find it but Mobil ran regular Mobil 1 5w30 at elevated temps for 25k mile drains 2 qts low intentially. It was put out by their R&D team. I probably posted the link on here at one time if you want to try and dig it up. It was the most severe test I've seen an oil put through, other than short trip/cold situations which are ultimately the most severe in many aspects.

Back to the OP, I'm not a fan of the M1 SUV oil but I get what their doing.

I remember that. Mobil put it on their website to show the severe testing they put the regular Mobil 1 5W-30 through. They have since taken the video down. What impressed me about that video was the fact that Mobil purposely ran the long drain intervals 2 qts. low. It is one thing to run that long of an interval fully topped off to the full mark on the dipstick. Upon teardown, the engine parts still looked good though.

In this video of the Truck and SUV oil, it's good to see the valvetrain looking almost the same as before the test. And that is after 57,600 miles of simulated towing 5,000 pounds. Our dad tows with his truck, and we tow with our SUV. I have felt the heat coming off the engines after we have towed loads.

Our dad towed his travel trailer down to LA for his work, and back to Indiana. Mobil 1 has handled all the towing very well.

That was the one. It's not on youtube either.

I skiped the video, but like that they used the Ecoboost motor for the test. The 2.7 and 3.5 are tuff on oil. but the question remains, Is it really any different from their other offerings.

Originally Posted by dkryan
Originally Posted by Rand

Every thread doesnt need Amsoil in it. Its about as wanted as a turd in the swimming pool.

Quick!

Someone call Bushwood Country Club and have Carl, the greenskeeper, handle this!

Baby Ruth

Originally Posted by JLTD
Interesting that M1 ran 5w-30 when Ford is still recommending 5w-20 for the 5.0.

Does Ford recommend 5w30 for severe service in that engine?

My Jeep JK has used Mobil 1 for 90% of it's almost 130k life, with mainly 6k intervals. (I did a few short runs with PYB, PP, and PUP.) It hasn't towed like a pickup truck, but it does see frequent towing of a small fishing boat and plenty of off-road driving. It has run amost 50/50 between 5w20 and 5w30 with 2 runs of 0w40. Other than oil consumption, which is standard for the Jeep 3.8, it continues to run like new. I'm pretty confident this engine will go well past 200k and hoping for over 300k.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back