Mobil 1 Tri-Synth

I live in the UK and have bought 20 litres of Mobil 1 Tri-Synth at a discount price not realising it was superceded by the Super-Synth formulation. I use this in a small Nissan daily driver with twin overhead cam, 4 valves per cylinder engine, that has 3k miles from new and has used this Tri-Synth from 1k miles and I change at 3k miles with Nissan filter. The grade is European formulation 0-40 and the weather temp range is say 20f to 90f. Is there enough difference in the Super-Synth to warrant not using my stock of Tri-Synth? Hopefully you will all say its OK to use the Tri-Synth! Fabulous board, thank you, I have learned loads. Roger

I don't think there will be an issue. Tri-Syn was just the previous version before Super-Syn. I've used Mobil1 in all my vehicles for the last 12 years whatever the formulation. If you got it at a good proce, sleep well at night knowing your car is better off than using another brand and you saved some $$$ in the process. John

This oil will serve you well in the temperature range you mentioned. Even better if you got a great deal [Big Grin] Drive on Jean [ February 04, 2003, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: 2K2AcuraTL ]

Al

Our (and my) limited comparison of different grades says the SS is better. But the difference in the results in normal driving seems to be small. I would use it up. I assume you have the SR20DE 2L engine? Extremely durable engine. BTW you can use the larger filter intended for the year 2000 and earlier Maxima engines. [ February 04, 2003, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Al ]