Mobil 1™ SHC Synthese Technology

Well, surprise surprise. I had 5k on this oil when I changed it. The viscosity at 100 degrees C was over 11! But all the other numbers looked good, from wear to additives. No 0w20 has done that in this engine so I can't help but wonder what the viscosity was when it was new. I've got another 5 quarts in it now but will cut this run short at 3k. I'm going to go back to EP 0w20. I just don't like how thick this was. The 3.6 is really easy on oil, so I can't imagine it thickened up from its rated viscosity to over 11.

Then there's the possibility of a mistake by Blackstone, but all the other numbers look good. Hmmm.
What viscosity and oil was in prior to the 0w20?

Well, surprise surprise. I had 5k on this oil when I changed it. The viscosity at 100 degrees C was over 11! ... The 3.6 is really easy on oil, so I can't imagine it thickened up from its rated viscosity to over 11.

Then there's the possibility of a mistake by Blackstone, but all the other numbers look good. Hmmm.
2x on the Blackie mistake. That's too short of a run to kill it. KV100 should be below VOA here. Maybe at 8-10k it would take a run back up towards the start point. All in a healthy engine - that was not short tripped - of course.

It is regular, mineral-based Group III. This term has been used since October 2010, when the API SM–SN transition occurred. Mobil 1 abandoned use of Group IV (PAO) with their API SN oils and started using Group III. Since Germany doesn't allow calling Group III oils synthetic, Mobil 1 coined the term SHC (synthetic hydrocarbon) for their oils sold in Germany starting with API SN, which simply means regular Group III oil.
The safety data sheets still show significant PAO in EP 0w20 and last I looked there was still some in the ESP, too, although not as much.

Yes exactly, as a european this is what i look for when buying oil. Currently the only manufacturer i know that sells real pao syntetic based oil is ravenol. They are useally about twice the price of comparable shell, mobil etc...
If my car did not consume as much oil i would probably use/try them but because of the consumption i decided to use Fuchs oil in bulk due to the price.
In Europe Castrol make full synthetic engine oils.

The safety data sheets still show significant PAO in EP 0w20 and last I looked there was still some in the ESP, too, although not as much.
It doesn't matter because as long it has any amount of Group III, Germany doesn't allow it to be called synthetic and therefore Mobil 1 has to call it synthetic hydrocarbon (SHC) instead.

It doesn't matter because as long it has any amount of Group III, Germany doesn't allow it to be called synthetic and therefore Mobil 1 has to call it synthetic hydrocarbon (SHC) instead.
Wow. They turned an inferiority into a marketing gimmick. Excellent!

IIRC, the regulation stipulates ~75% PAO, so you can have other bases, but they can't make up a significant chunk of the base oil blend. I posted the details on here a while back.

IIRC, the regulation stipulates ~75% PAO, so you can have other bases, but they can't make up a significant chunk of the base oil blend. I posted the details on here a while back.
That leaves almost no room for any Group III after the add pack and VII included—probably mainly some POE or AN to have seal compatibility and solvency.

Back