Mobil 1™ SHC Synthese Technology

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
What is this technology?

What is this technology?

Well I'm not so sure its New Technology. Its kinda has that Dairy whiff to me I'd like to see some engine testing and the number of estimated
10's of thousands more miles of engine life it gives. I would consider they oil hype to justify around $5 or more to the price of a Jug of oil.
They have a No Sale here without a lot more proof!

Well I'm not so sure its New Technology. Its kinda has that Dairy whiff to me I'd like to see some engine testing and the number of estimated
10's of thousands more miles of engine life it gives. I would consider they oil hype to justify around $5 or more to the price of a Jug of oil.
They have a No Sale here without a lot more proof!
Besides a dexosD license and Porsche C20, Mercedes-Benz 229.71 and VW 508 00 approvals, what proof are you looking for?

What is this technology?

In Germany (and apparently Belgium) SHC (Synthetic Hydrocarbon) is called out because in Germany, unless the oil is like 70%+ PAO, it can't be called synthetic. So, oils are primarily Group III in the base oil blend, or have less than 70% PAO, are branded as SHC.

I'm sorry for bringing this up. I didn't realize it was old news, just my ignorance.

In Germany (and apparently Belgium) SHC (Synthetic Hydrocarbon) is called out because in Germany, unless the oil is like 70%+ PAO, it can't be called synthetic. So, oils are primarily Group III in the base oil blend, or have less than 70% PAO, are branded as SHC.
Yes exactly, as a european this is what i look for when buying oil. Currently the only manufacturer i know that sells real pao syntetic based oil is ravenol. They are useally about twice the price of comparable shell, mobil etc...
If my car did not consume as much oil i would probably use/try them but because of the consumption i decided to use Fuchs oil in bulk due to the price.

Last edited:
Yes exactly, as a european this is what i look for when buying oil. Currently the only manufacturer i know that sells real pao syntetic based oil is ravenol. They are useally about twice the price of comparable shell, mobil etc...
If my car did not consume as much oil i would probably use/try them but because of the consumption i decided to use Fuchs oil in bulk due to the price.
Yes, see my signature, I'm a fan of Ravenol, lol.

Ravenol has a very nice lubricant catalogue.
Another really good oil, which is not well known is Meguin Super Leightlauf 5W-40.
Something like 50-70% PAO, Ester and a full fat additive package with 1200ppm of Zddp for example, it's actually Liqui Moly Synthoil 5W-40 in disguise 🤪

I've got M1 ESP X2 0w20 in my 2018 Jeep right now. I've read that Porsche C20 is one of the most demanding standards in the industry, so I figured duty in my 3.6 would be a cake walk for it.
Well, surprise surprise. I had 5k on this oil when I changed it. The viscosity at 100 degrees C was over 11! But all the other numbers looked good, from wear to additives. No 0w20 has done that in this engine so I can't help but wonder what the viscosity was when it was new. I've got another 5 quarts in it now but will cut this run short at 3k. I'm going to go back to EP 0w20. I just don't like how thick this was. The 3.6 is really easy on oil, so I can't imagine it thickened up from its rated viscosity to over 11.

Then there's the possibility of a mistake by Blackstone, but all the other numbers look good. Hmmm.

Well, surprise surprise. I had 5k on this oil when I changed it. The viscosity at 100 degrees C was over 11! But all the other numbers looked good, from wear to additives. No 0w20 has done that in this engine so I can't help but wonder what the viscosity was when it was new. I've got another 5 quarts in it now but will cut this run short at 3k. I'm going to go back to EP 0w20. I just don't like how thick this was. The 3.6 is really easy on oil, so I can't imagine it thickened up from its rated viscosity to over 11.

Then there's the possibility of a mistake by Blackstone, but all the other numbers look good. Hmmm.

Looks like oxidative thickening.

Capture.jpg

Looks like oxidative thickening.

View attachment 117426
I hope not. There is absolutely no good reason for that with the supposed quality of this oil and a Pentastar. It had an easy life. It had to be an error. I am going to email Blackstone to see if they can run the viscosity test again. It's just waaaay out of the norm. I've got 67k on it now and have done a UOA at every change. I've mostly run Mobil 1 EP, but have run AFE, and Shell RGT. None of them ever spiked like that. All the other numbers are comparable to the previously run oils, too. Just odd.

What is this technology?

It is regular, mineral-based Group III. This term has been used since October 2010, when the API SM–SN transition occurred. Mobil 1 abandoned use of Group IV (PAO) with their API SN oils and started using Group III. Since Germany doesn't allow calling Group III oils synthetic, Mobil 1 coined the term SHC (synthetic hydrocarbon) for their oils sold in Germany starting with API SN, which simply means regular Group III oil.

Back