Mobil 1... the runt of the Mobil synthetic line-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that M1 is the weakest of the three commonly available (relatively speaking...) Mobil synthetic oils. Delvac 1 seems almost universally liked, and the MXT4 and V-Twin motorcycle oil has its groupies as well. Are these oils that much better than M1, if at all? They certainly are much more expensive than "regular" M1, priced more like the boutique oils.

Thoughts...
confused.gif

To some degree, yes it is the runt of the litter, especially now that 0w-30R is on it's way. Mobil 1 for cars meets all the API requirments and fuel efficiency ratings and with that comes a slight decrease in performance IMO. It's still an excellent oil that will keep your engine clean and protect under high and low temps which is very important. The new R oil will be for those who want the best protection for high horsepower cars. Delvac 1 is a better oil then M1 as well, but it's not available everywhere. The new SUV oil could be rebottled D1 which would be great.

buster,
How do you know this Mobil R is coming? Where did you get that info from?

I swear I saw something on the Mobil 1 site about this oil last week, but I can't find it now. Maybe I'm imagining things...
confused.gif
I do know that Speed Channels coverage of the SEMA show had some talk about it...

I am more interested to see the new 5/40 motor oil coming and if it's along the lines of the group III/PAO System S 5/40 .

If so and it's a light 40 wt along with less cost than the Supersyn it just might be a great oil for many engines in warmer climates .

I'm very interested in both products (as if you couldn't tell already
grin.gif
) It's about time Mobil does this. It will satisfy those who want a higher end oil such as Redline and those who want another 40wt option for older cars or engines like LS1 or Jeeps. But as always, there will be people who still won't be satisfied. These are the same people that would complain about Mobil 1 even if "God" made it.
rolleyes.gif

I think this statement is way to categorical. M1 15W-50 is one of the best synthetics out there if you can stomach the viscosity. Its additive package is better than their own 20W-50 MC oil and has tested well all across.
I also think that M1 will improve their offerings in the US market. In general we have seen a rising of offerings of EU oils with much better performance characteristics, such as GC and the soon to be released M1R and SUV 5W-40 oils. It seems the oil manaufacturers are bringing better oils to market to compete with the OEM sold oils in a market with more European cars all the time.

quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:
It seems that M1 is the weakest of the three commonly available (relatively speaking...) Mobil synthetic oils. Delvac 1 seems almost universally liked, and the MXT4 and V-Twin motorcycle oil has its groupies as well. Are these oils that much better than M1, if at all? They certainly are much more expensive than "regular" M1, priced more like the boutique oils.

Thoughts...
confused.gif

Buster,
Believe it or not, but Mobil 1 is not for everyone and every engine. I used to be a Mobil 1 diehard but the longer I used it, the more I became dissatisfied with it. I had too much engine noise at startup and even during normal running then I was comfortable with. Even before my coolant leakage problems, I was not getting great analysis on my truck. Even though I had decent results on our Grand Prix, Blackstone still recommends changing the oil at 5,000 miles which to me is not very cost effective. The GP is also starting to use this oil at a pretty high rate.

I know right now that I'm alot more satisfied using Chevron Supreme in my truck then I was with the Mobil 1. Engine noise is almost completely gone and oil consumption has gone down. I will be switching the GP over to it also once my stock of Mobil 1 for it is gone.

Wayne

quote:

Originally posted by wtd:
Buster,
Believe it or not, but Mobil 1 is not for everyone and every engine. I used to be a Mobil 1 diehard but the longer I used it, the more I became dissatisfied with it. I had too much engine noise at startup and even during normal running then I was comfortable with. Even before my coolant leakage problems, I was not getting great analysis on my truck. Even though I had decent results on our Grand Prix, Blackstone still recommends changing the oil at 5,000 miles which to me is not very cost effective. The GP is also starting to use this oil at a pretty high rate.

I know right now that I'm alot more satisfied using Chevron Supreme in my truck then I was with the Mobil 1. Engine noise is almost completely gone and oil consumption has gone down. I will be switching the GP over to it also once my stock of Mobil 1 for it is gone.

Wayne

What grade of Supreme are you going to run in your GP??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back