Mobil 1 temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a quote from pedaltothemetal in the oils to avoid thread

quote:

Last month local SCCA meeting had a guest speaker from a local race engine builder.

A length discussion came up about oil and after pretty extensive testing they have found that Mobil 1 heats up even more than some conventional oils. Pressure drops have occured at high RPM's also. Not to mention oil burn off and poor flow characteristics compared to other oils.

They recommended Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Redline. Or for a conventional oil Valvoline racing oil.

Also something worth noting for you highly modified engine guys is that after becoming fuel saturated Mobil 1 was one of the worst oils even compared to other conventional oils.

I know of 3 engines in autocross cars that have blown. They were all using Mobil 1. One of those engines was mine.

Here is an observation by my Porsche mechanic friend who drives a VW Corrado:

quote:

well for the past year I've been running Castrol GTX 20W50 in Baby. My oil temps have been in the 220's when it's cold out and 230's when hot (above 70 degrees). I just switched to Amsoil 20W50 and what a difference. Cold temps dropped to low 2 teens and hot temps barely reach 220.

An added note, I was running Mobil 1 before the Castrol, and my oil temps were in the 230's on cold days and upwards of 250 on hot days. Just wanted to let y'all know that Amsoil seems to be the real deal. It's more expensive than Mobil 1 and dino, but the temp difference makes it worth it to me. And just so you know, Baby just turned 190K on a factory stock bottom end (ie. nothing in the block has been replaced except the bolt on water pump, no seals, no bearings, no oil pump).

With Mobil 1 i was losing about 1/2 a quart a change, with Castrol, minimal loss. We'll see in a month how much or little I burn or blow by with the Amsoil (i'm guessing not much).

I ran M1 15W-50 in a BMW M3 motored 318ti and E30 325, will switch to Amsoil 20W-50 this weekend for the summer, and later 0W-30 for the winter.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary:
Here is a quote from pedaltothemetal in the oils to avoid thread

quote:

Last month local SCCA meeting had a guest speaker from a local race engine builder.

A length discussion came up about oil and after pretty extensive testing they have found that Mobil 1 heats up even more than some conventional oils. Pressure drops have occured at high RPM's also. Not to mention oil burn off and poor flow characteristics compared to other oils.

I view undocumented "reports" such as this with a healthy dose of skepticism.

"my Porsche mechanic friend who drives a VW Corrado". OR

"To race a car in the 24 Hours of Le Mans means that the driver intends to race that car to the maximum. So every single component of that car has to be designed to withstand that kind of driving. And we also would strongly recommend to every driver of one of our road cars to go on using Mobil 1 and, by this, protecting their investment in the car."
Herbert Ampferer, Director, Porsche Motorsports

Every car produced in the factory in Stuttgart gets its first oil from Mobil 1. And that means that all our cars and engines are developed with that product."
– Herbert Ampferer, Director,
Porsche Motorsports

"Mobil 1 is the only oil we use for our engines as the first filling. And then we put the sticker in the engine compartment just to make sure that people know what's in their engines."
– Domingos Piedade, Managing Director,
Mercedes-Benz AMG

"Based upon the results we saw several years ago in endurance racing with Team Shelby, we felt Mobil 1 could do the job in the Viper, Dodge's highest-performance sports car."
– Charlie Brown III, Viper Engine Supervisor,
DaimlerChrysler Corporation
wink.gif

[ May 23, 2003, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
I view undocumented "reports" such as this with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I view reports like this with sunglasses while squinting. Remind me never to take oil advice from a mechanic or race engine builder.

quote:

I view undocumented "reports" such as this with a healthy dose of skepticism

Definitely. Many of these guys "like" to think another oil is doing a better job.
rolleyes.gif

220F - 230F???

WOW

My Ford 4.6L SOHC V8 runs 205F on the hottest days (Cylinder Head Temperature sensor readout) with dino Pennzoil 5W-30 and on cold days can go as low as 180F.

On the subject of M1 flashing off - I've heard of this as well but I don't have any quantifiable documentation to present, I do know it starts off very thin so using the proper weight is important!!

Couple things:

1. I saw more burn off with M1 10w30 than with 15w50; go figure. This was in a turbo miata that I run on the track 6x/summer. I'm running 0w40 this year.

2. I was working with a gentleman from Roush Racing who does most of the calibrations for the faster mustangs. He said, "Mobil 1 is the best generally available motor oil you can buy, bar none." By generally available, he meant available at most FLAPS.

$0.02,
Robert

yep, M1 is indeed the best OTC synthetic oil you can get. Amsoil, RP, Redline, etc... are fine products but require add'l work to purchase.

quote:

yep, M1 is indeed the best OTC synthetic oil you can get.

It seems that way....

BTW, I love the phrase "over the counter" in reference to oils. I just remembered I have to see me tribologist to get my Amsoil prescription........
lol.gif

quote:

It seems that way....

Do you know of another Group IV/PAO gas engine synthetic oil that's readily available in stores other than the German spec Castrol Syntec?

Everything else seems to be Group III.

The oil sump gets heat from the hot oil draining
back, while it loses heat to the air. If there's
more hot oil draining from the engine, the sump
temperature should be higher.

Would a thinner oil give hotter sump
temperatures because its low viscosity allows
more flow at a given pressure, which carries away
more heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back