Mobil 1 TDT for a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running TDT is their car? API SM. I know OVERK1LL is. I think it's too thick @40c for a 4 banger. 100 cSt.

Quote:
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck utilizes state-of-the-art technology to deliver exceptional performance in modern low emission engines, including refrigerated units, as well as older, well-maintained engines. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is recommended for use in a wide range of light-duty applications such as turbo diesel pick-up trucks, as well as, heavy-duty applications and operating environments found in the on-road transport and off-road mining, construction, and agricultural industries. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck also meets the API SM specification for gasoline engines used in mixed fleets.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.asp

Buster,

I'm considering running it for a few runs and then doing a UOA to see how it stacks up against Amsoil in my application. Just can't seem to get it anywhere around here so I'm gonna have to look up an Esso dealer I think.
thumbsup2.gif

I've got 15W40 rotella T in my 4 banger tracker right now, seems to have reduced some valvetrain noise, no negative effects I can tell.

It must be all in my head but for some reason I think this oil also reduced some driveline "judder" at low rpms... At about 1800rpm and lower there always has been some vibration when accelerating since new, now it seems there is less...

Also keep in mind that smaller engines tend to work harder than big engines, using more of thier hp more of the time. The extreme is a 250 4 stroke mx'er. I read those destroy oil viscosity quickly, like 3 or 4 hours...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Buster,

I'm considering running it for a few runs and then doing a UOA to see how it stacks up against Amsoil in my application. Just can't seem to get it anywhere around here so I'm gonna have to look up an Esso dealer I think.
thumbsup2.gif

Make a road trip to another Walmart man, one's GOTTA have it. Ours does.

I run Mobil 1 15W-50 in a 2.2L GM 4 cyl, 2.4L Toyota 4 cyl, 1.8L DaeWoo 4 cyl, 1.5L KIA 4 cyl, 1.5L Mitsubishi 4 cyl. All, except for one totaled at 66,000, had over 150,000 when traded, all got better than EPA estimates, none used any oil between OCI, never a seep, leak, or drip, engines started before you could let go of key in coldest Virginia, Kentucky weather.

I have a Toyota truck in daily use with 300,000 miles and one Chevrolet car in daily use with 211,000 miles, both with Mobil 1 15W-50.

Mobil 1 15W-50 40C cSt is 131.2
100C cSt is 18.!
HTHS is 4.5.

Mobil 1 TDT is thinner than mobil 1 15W-50.

Consider that little 500CC to 1300CC I4 motorcycle engines run heavy 20W-50 oils.

I really like that you can now get this oil in 5L jugs at WM in Canada. Before that, I had only ever seen the D1 version in one shop.

Made me think more about trying this oil in 2002 Cavalier when I was thinking about running a thicker oil. Still might do this...sigh...so many oils I want to try, so little miles i drive....

I have been using TDT for 2 OCIs now in my '98 M3.

I was a little skeptical at first, but Doug Hillary talked me into it.

My car is one of the last MYs for the e36 and is spec'd for 5w, but all the earlier versions of the M3 (with the same engine) are spec'd for 15w. The independent shop was adamant that I use Mobil 0w-40, but I started to notice some oil consumption (small amount).

Mobil 1 TDT offers a nice compromise. I also don't loose any sleep, because I know it provides more then enough protection for the S50. I may try Rotella next.

It was one of my oils I ran in my 2.3l turbo 9-5. TDT 5W40 and RTS 5W40 are now 9-5 and older 9-3 favorites, long with Amsoil Euro and the recommended M1 0W40.

I'm thinking of stepping up a grade for a few reasons.

I now have 118k on the Accord. I push the engine hard at times and it does consume 1/2qt per 3-5k miles. Always has. Might try M1 0w40. I'm curious if it would reduce consumption.

My 2.4l in my CR-V consumed that or more over much of its life. Do you do a lot of stop and go? I found that for the 3 months that I was using it for my daily 120+ mile round trip commute, it consumed virtually zero oil. Yet in the city driving my wife did, it would sometimes be a quart low after 3-4k miles. I never saw any oil make a difference.

I love TDT and am considering trying it out after auto-rx in my corolla. I am worried, however, that it will sap what little power the ultra weak 1.6 afe has. Its already painstaking slow with the A/C on unless you wind it up to over 4k rpm, and it has no tach!

Originally Posted By: buster
I'm thinking of stepping up a grade for a few reasons.

I now have 118k on the Accord. I push the engine hard at times and it does consume 1/2qt per 3-5k miles. Always has. Might try M1 0w40. I'm curious if it would reduce consumption.

I can't imagine M1 0w would reduce consumption... especially in a high mileage engine.

Buster,

Thats pretty low consumption for an engine that is driven hard. Experiment if you want, but I wouldn't worry about it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back