Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 in a '04 - '06 VW TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck does not carry the 505.01, 506.01, nor 507.00 VW approval. Yet there seem to be UOA's surfacing from use in pumpe duese (model yr '04 - '06) Volkswagen TDI's that seem to show it may offer reduced wear vs VW spec 505.01 oils. It also has a lot of Zinc and Phosphorous that may benefit the flat tappet design of the PD's cam and followers. Plus, its a robust 5W40 whereas some of the VW spec oils have gone to 5W30.

But then there's the long term effect of M1 TDT's increased phoshorous content on the TDI's catalytic converter.

Interesting.

Yeah, sounds a bit like "pick your poison". Are the PD TDI cat. converters more sensitive to phosphorous than a same year VW gas engine cat. converter? I assume so but want to learn more about it.

I would not worry about the catalyst unless your engine is burning more oil than normal. Just not an issue in my experience. The TDT is one stout oil for these engines. Have you checked for any UOA's with the newer Supersyn CJ4 TDT? The ones I saw were just as good as the previous CI4+ TDT in the TDI engines. I'm not at all convinced that 505.01 oils are all that awesome. If you are out of warranty, I would go for it without hesitation. We used TDT or Amsoil 10W-40(also lots of ZDDP) in my sister's PD TDI and older TDI in Florida for several years with great results.

I happen to think that TDT is likely better for the PD engine than the hyped up 505.01 oils that are just Group III's anyhow.

Also check the Rotella 5W-40 specs. It always gives great UOA's, is thinner at start up, and not as thick when at 100C.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Also check the Rotella 5W-40 specs. It always gives great UOA's, is thinner at start up, and not as thick when at 100C.

Rotella 5w40 is not thinner than Mobil 1 TDT. The Mobil 1 TDT is a higher quality oil with higher quality base/POA stocks

Not what I saw on their very own websites. And not to mention, Rotella-T synthetic shows amazing UOA's. And yes, RTS is thinner by 10-15cst at 40C last time I checked.

There's lots of 'higher quality' oils out there, but then you have oils like Pennzoil Platinum coming in and kicking their [censored]. Use the best, not the proclaimed 'highest quality' unless you are friggin' racing a 1000hp turbocharged V8 on a 24 hour race.

EDIT: Look up Rotella for yourself, it's 95cst @ 40C and 15.5cst at 100C.

But here is TDT: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.asp

Here is Delvac: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_5W-40.asp

So, all in all, BOTH of their 5W-40's are thicker than RTS at start up, and thinner at operating temperature by .5 cst.

Take it how you want it, RTS just about can't be beat, and I'll save $5 a gallon on it ANYDAY.

I would agree that the RTS is a great oil and works very well in many applications, gas and diesel. My friend has a DPF-equipped 07 Duramax 4WD dualie that he drives cross-country every day towing up to 15k pound trailers, RV's and larger and small boats, car haulers. Anyhow, he has tried about every oil out there synthetic and non-syn. He noted that Rotella 15W-40 and RTS (5W-40) "disappeared" or consumed a lot faster than either Delvac 1300 CJ-4 or Delvac 1 CJ-4 in his particular engine with heavy towing use. He went back and forth several times between all these oils with repeatable results. He was spending considerably more money on makeup oil with Rotella HDEO's. He has settled in on the Delvac 1300 in the summer and M1 TDT or Delvac 1 during winter. He said that the Delvac 1 is about $5 or $10 more per gallon than the TDT, FWIW. I told him that with his use, a bypass filter would be ideal. He changes his oil every 2 weeks on average!

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
I would agree that the RTS is a great oil and works very well in many applications, gas and diesel. My friend has a DPF-equipped 07 Duramax 4WD dualie that he drives cross-country every day towing up to 15k pound trailers, RV's and larger and small boats, car haulers. Anyhow, he has tried about every oil out there synthetic and non-syn. He noted that Rotella 15W-40 and RTS (5W-40) "disappeared" or consumed a lot faster than either Delvac 1300 CJ-4 or Delvac 1 CJ-4 in his particular engine with heavy towing use. He went back and forth several times between all these oils with repeatable results. He was spending considerably more money on makeup oil with Rotella HDEO's. He has settled in on the Delvac 1300 in the summer and M1 TDT or Delvac 1 during winter. He said that the Delvac 1 is about $5 or $10 more per gallon than the TDT, FWIW. I told him that with his use, a bypass filter would be ideal. He changes his oil every 2 weeks on average!

Has he tried Amsoil 5w40 CJ-4+?? The Delvac 1 is good stuff. But he will have longer change intervals with the Amsoil...and the Amsoil shouldn't consume oil..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back