Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 (Cl-4) - Into the Lincoln 4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just put Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 in the Lincoln 4.6 today. This is the Cl-4/SL rated version. Several threads claim this version is repackaged Delvac, I don't know if that has been confirmed or not. I believe this is the same version that OVERK1LL had been running in his Modular Expedition. His experience and Doug Hilary's words of wisdom compelled me to try it.

5 quarts of this Mobil Magic, a Motorcraft 820S and a brand new fuel filter have given me a car that purrs like a kitten. It's about 50 degrees out and from the first turn of the key it seems the Lincoln is in love with it.

My car factory specs 5W-30 (it's a 96) so I figured I could survive going up one grade in warm weather. When the weather heads back down south of the 40s I'll drop back to a lower grade.

As long as this isn't run in harsh winter temperatures I believe it is fine for the car.

MobilFront.jpg

MobilBack1.jpg

MobilBack2.jpg

One of the best OTC oils you can find IMO. I believe the old stuff like you have was repackaged delvac, but the newer CI4+ and CJ4 stuff was similar, but not the same. Someone correct if I am wrong.

Dont worry about using it in the cold. My best UOA ever came with this stuff in the dead of a cold chicago winter, in a volkswagen TDI, something like 17 or 23 ppm of iron on a 13k run. And those engines shed more iron than an average gas motor.

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD

Dont worry about using it in the cold. My best UOA ever came with this stuff in the dead of a cold chicago winter, in a volkswagen TDI, something like 17 or 23 ppm of iron on a 13k run. And those engines shed more iron than an average gas motor.

It must be top notch to run you out to 13K in a Chicago winter. I guess I could leave it in and just play it by ear come November-December. If I experience noisy cold starting I'll just change it out.

OVERK1LL changed his oil of choice to M1 0W-40.

You're one step behind!!!

But seriously, I think it's a fine choice - I still think it is one of the absolute 'toughest' oils you can buy for ANY application.

Quote:
I still think it is one of the absolute 'toughest' oils you can buy for ANY application.

+1

Originally Posted By: daman
Oh man i'm
20.gif
over here with that CI4!!!,the best oil made IMO.....i hate you!!!!

I was dying to try it and I'm so happy it seems to run well in the Lincoln. I never really paid attention to this oil before since I never used a 40 weight before. However, considering it's so loved I just had to try it.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Art - What other 5-40s have you used in that engine?

This is the first time I ever tried a 5w-40 in the 4.6. I think it should be good until the beginning of winter temperature wise.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Oh man i'm
20.gif
over here with that CI4!!!,the best oil made IMO.....i hate you!!!!

I was dying to try it and I'm so happy it seems to run well in the Lincoln. I never really paid attention to this oil before since I never used a 40 weight before. However, considering it's so loved I just had to try it.

Well your engine thanks you,how long do you plan on running it?

That stuff is truly the nectar of the Gods. I switched to the 0w40 in the winter due to the superior cold performance but these are my two favourite oils (the D1 5w40 and the 0w40). I have a solid stash of the 5w40 that is going in my Mustang/Capri.

I was VERY happy with how this stuff ran in the Expedition.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
That stuff is truly the nectar of the Gods. I switched to the 0w40 in the winter due to the superior cold performance but these are my two favourite oils (the D1 5w40 and the 0w40). I have a solid stash of the 5w40 that is going in my Mustang/Capri.

Finally someone else who thinks M1 0w40 has better cold weather performance than M1 5w40!
08.gif
(the difference between the two in winter is night and day!)

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Finally someone else who thinks M1 0w40 has better cold weather performance than M1 5w40!
08.gif

I noticed an immediate difference in cold weather cranking and performance before the engine was warmed up between the two. After it was hot, there was no discernible difference.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

08.gif

I noticed an immediate difference in cold weather cranking and performance before the engine was warmed up between the two. After it was hot, there was no discernible difference.

My experiences were the same, but additionally when hot I got a tad more oomph from M1 0w40 (same hot visco as most other Euro 5w40s) vs. TDT.

Ah sorry for getting OT.

I only drive about 12,000 miles a year but I like running a light weight when it's cold out. I guess I can make it to the 8000 mile mark if I push it. I do a lot of stop and go city driving too.
Maybe I'll just drain it out for the winter and put it back in for another 8000 miles next spring.

I hope the Lincoln appreciates the "Nectar of the Gods." I'm hoping to have the same favorable results you have. I started the car cold today at an ambient 45F. Turned over a bit slower than on the 0w-20 it replaced. I'd probably not want to run it below freezing.

I do like it. There's something about the smell of PAO in the morning...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

I only drive about 12,000 miles a year but I like running a light weight when it's cold out. I guess I can make it to the 8000 mile mark if I push it. I do a lot of stop and go city driving too.
Maybe I'll just drain it out for the winter and put it back in for another 8000 miles next spring.

That oil as a synthetic will be fine in cool to cold weather i believe it has a impressive pour point so no need to change it out,don't waist that good oil take it to 8-9,000 or longer.

Art,
My old 96 Merc 4.6 ran like a million bucks to the very day I sold it on 5-30 and 10-30 M1. After 218K the engine appeared clean as new through the oil fill hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back