Mobil 1 T&SUV 5W40, 10k miles, 1997 BMW 328i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is Blackstone's report on my 1997 BMW 328i. Car has 130k miles, Mobil 1 T&SUV 5W40 was in there for about 10k miles. The car has been on a steady diet of Mobil 1 since around 45k miles, usually changed every 6 months or every 7-8k miles. 15W50 red cap at first, 10W30 the last two years or so. And just when I think I have found my ideal oil with the T&SUV, they pull it off the market
frown.gif
Oh yea, I pulled the valve cover just for curiosity and everything in there was spotless. Zero gunk or varnish what so ever.

Aluminum: 3
Chromium: 1
Iron: 8
Copper: 5
Lead: 0
Tin: 1
Molybdenum: 14
Nickel: 1
Manganese: 1
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potasium: 2
Boron: 27
Silicon: 7
Sodium: 3
Calcium: 2272
Magnesium: 375
Phosphorus: 974
Zinc: 1084
Barium: 0

SUS@212F: 75.3
Flashpoint: 425F
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0.0
Water: 0.0
Insolubles:
Comments from Blackstone were basically they couldn't believe the engine had 130k miles since the wear levels were so low.

99TLC, how much make-up oil was added during the OCI?

The "new" version of M1 5W-40 T&SUV, the Turbo Diesel oil, is supposedly still SL-rated, so you can keep using it.

Mobil is also coming out with a 5w-40 for gassers this month.

M1 5w-40 is one of the best oils on the market, at least from what I've seen on here. Always shows great results. Very consistant much like GC.

Zero make up oil was added. The car doesn't leak or burn any oil. I could keep using the "new" M1 5w40 if it were available. Unfortunately it's nowhere to be found - only the 5W30 T&SUV in the deceiving almost identical bottle.

Great report! This oil definitely can perform.

Where do you guys find Mobil 1 5w40 now? I get a lot of LS1 guys asking me where to buy this oil but I have no clue where to tell them to look. We don't get it in Canada (at least not in the normal places)

i've found the old mobil 1 5w40 T&SUV both at pep boys and o'reillys within the last two weeks...must be dumping their old inventory. if you look, you'll find it.

the new mobil 1 5w30 T&SUV i've found in those 5qt jugs at wallmart in the last week.

You may have to wait for the new Turbo Diesel stuff to get a 5w-40, Patman
dunno.gif

You can always send them to AVLubes for the D1
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back