Mobil 1 Synthetic every 3,750 miles or good dino oil every 3,750 miles??

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I live in one of the coldest climates in the continental Unites States. I try to use my block heater whenever possible. However, my vehcile still experiences many cold starts below zero in the dead of winter.

What is my best option for prolonging the life of my engine?

Should I just go with a premium dino with a good pour point? I believe Penzoil has the lowest pour point of the dino oils at -44F. A dino oil would lose its good cold cranking ability quickly in extreme cold, right??

What should I do??

If I lived where you do, there is no way I'd use any conventional oil (especially during the winter.) Here are the three oils I'd choose from: Mobil 1 0w40, Mobil 1 0w30, Castrol Syntec 0w30 (the German stuff).

I live in a much more moderate climate than you do, and I use two of the above three oils.

Oh, yeah. Grand Forks has to be a living billboard for 0wXX oil. What does it get down to in the winter, -60F
shocked.gif
(I looked for a shivering smiley, but didn't see one).

Must be a real test for antifreeze also.

The "pour point" is evidence of activity under gravity at a designated temperature after five minues inversion (I believe). As such, it's not that great an indicator of actual cold weather cranking performance. Look at the cold crank simulator numbers of product data sheets. That should give you some idea of whether there may be non-synthetic dino oils that could be used in your climate. I do believe that some of the Group-III based synthetics would be appropriate, too, but if they'll cost nearly as much or the same as PAOs, why bother? I'm not a synthetic-at-all-cost guy. But, even I have to concede there are conditions where they're preferable if not downright mandatory. Sounds like your locale qualifies.

I live in a colder spot than you I think, but I've never seen it go down to -60?F. Maybe the Hudson Bay does something to make it intolerable in your neck of the woods. The coldest I've ever experienced is -42?C (-40?ish F) and yesterday it was over +90?F. If you want weather extremes we got em! At -40?C/F my car feels like it's made of concrete. The doors creek, the tires flatten out, the suspension is rock hard and the top half of the engine is cold, with or without a block heater. My Dad used to put a blanket over the engine at night when he used a block heater just to try to keep some of the heat in. He stopped doing that when one day, while in a hurry, he drove off forgetting about the blanket..... Its amazing how fast a blanket can get wound up in fan/drive belts
frown.gif
Its a real b**** to get out, too
rolleyes.gif

Use synthetic and you won't regret it.

As was mentioned above, pour point isn't the only thing to consider. The new "ChevronTexaco" Havoline 5w30 has a lower cold crank spec than any of the other 5w30 conventionals I've seen, including Pennzoil. With your climate I think Mobil1 5w30 or 0w30 would be the way to go. I am going to use Mobil1 0w20 in my Ranger from Dec. through Feb. then dino in warmer months.

MikeMC: Says you are from SouthEast Kentucky. How cold can it get there? I'd run 10W-30 year around. Come live in Colorado..=) We get nice and cold. Up north eh, i'd deffinatly go with a 0w Synth.....eh! Here in Colo I run 5w/10w winter/summer.

On my way to Turkey, we stopped at Newfoundland, canada. The temp. was -30 with the wind cheer (or is it shield, shear)....anyways, we got off the plane, walked on the taxiway to the terminal and I swear....I thought I was gonna freeze solid before making it to the terminal. There was very little wind, so it was almost all just cold temp.
Yeah, I would definetily use a good true synthetic in the 0WXX range.
Rick

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
On my way to Turkey, we stopped at Newfoundland, canada. The temp. was -30 with the wind cheer (or is it shield, shear)....anyways, we got off the plane, walked on the taxiway to the terminal and I swear....I thought I was gonna freeze solid before making it to the terminal. There was very little wind, so it was almost all just cold temp.
Rick

Haha.. Welcome to Canada.. That's wind CHILL btw..
canada.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:

quote:

Rick

Haha.. Welcome to Canada.. That's wind CHILL btw..
canada.gif

I knew that!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the clarification.
Rick

In my adult life I've lived in Texas, Florida, Southern California, and now Georgia. What does that little dash in front of all these temperatures mean?
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:

quote:

I knew that!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the clarification.
Rick
Haha.. sorry.. wasn't sure if you were kidding or not. [/QB]

I wasn't kidding on my first post...I was on the second...I had really forgotten what it was.
Thanks again.
Rick

LOL...
lol.gif
Ok I guess we have it straight now.. Just to keep this within the topic, the wind chill does not have any effect on the temps of the oil/block/car.. it's the ambient temps that matter. Now if are outside walking on the tarmac the windCHILL does matter..
grin.gif

> During the peak of winter, December through February, we often see single digits and occasionally sub-zero temps. Dino 5wXX might cut it, but I like synthetic for longer engine life. > I truly would love to see the Rockies some day. I live in a mountainous region of KY and I love the hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back