Mobil 1 Synthetic every 3,750 miles or good dino oil every 3,750 miles??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh... You guys bring the reference librarian out in me! The average low in January in Grand Forks is -3.9F, the average low in January in Edmondton is -2F. Edmondton takes the prize for coldest ever -49F in the last 20 years while Grand Forks from 1890 to 1999 only hit -43 degrees.

Not even close when it comes to record high temps. Grand Forks has hit 109F while Edmondton's record over the last twenty years is 93F.

I spent my first 22 years in South Dakota and UND regularly beat the crap out of my alma mater (go Jackrabbits) in football (and basketball when they had Phil Jackson playing), However I never set foot in North Dakota until the late 1990's and never did make it to Grand Forks (visited Minot, Bismarck and Fargo though).

Putting it bluntly there's no place more extreme in highs and lows (and probably tougher on oil) than the Dakotas.

Only -43? I thought I heard it got down to -60. I guess the place is warmer than I thought.

BTW, don't you guys have ICBM farms up there?

North Dakota State record low is -60 F. There are COLDER places than Grand Forks, believe it or not! Maybe its the urban heat island effect?
grin.gif

Record low in Minnesota is -61 F, taken in 1997, taken up by Tower or Embarrass, can't remember which. Twin Cities record low is around -34 F (Now there IS a heat island effect here!). Once you get out in the 'burbs, the temp is often 10 degrees colder...

Down here in Bismarck, I use M1 5w30 in the dead of winter. I work nights and the car sits outside. After a 10 hour shift, she turns and starts like its above freezing out.

quote:

Originally posted by MikeW:
Only -43? I thought I heard it got down to -60. I guess the place is warmer than I thought.

BTW, don't you guys have ICBM farms up there?

Yes they do!!....in fact, I heard that if the Dakotas were separated from the rest of the country, they would be the 3rd largest nuclear power in the world.
That's a lot of nukes.
Rick

I would def. go for the Mobil 1 0w/30. If fact, I would think that Exxon Mobil would be using your car as an advertisement and testimonial for cold weather performance. They should be sending you cases of 0w/30 every October. I bet an oil and filter change on a -42' day is no joy!

I'm just concerned I'm throwing my $$$$$$ down the drain by changing out Mobil 1 every 3750 K.

My oil still looks like honey when I drain it out of the engine at 3750 miles. Mobil 1 has been used since the car was brand new and it now has 93 K on it. I'm concerned b/c there is no combustion waste products being suspended in the oil. My engine must be running squeaky clean, right?

I overkill on the oil changes because my car experiences many short trips on sub-zero days during the winter.

How much longer could I run Mobil 1?

Greetings all,

This is my first post on this forum, but I've been checking out this site every day for about a month now. You guys rule!

I live just north of ND, in Manitoba, and so this topic is rather partial to me.

Okay, so synthetic is obviously the way to go when it's -40, but what if your car loses a litre or more of oil every month like mine does(91 civic DX). The synthetic gets kind of pricey, especially for a grad student . . . .

Are there any dinos out there that might be more cost effective but still have good extreme low-temp performance?

quote:

Originally posted by cwb116:

Okay, so synthetic is obviously the way to go when it's -40, but what if your car loses a litre or more of oil every month like mine does(91 civic DX). The synthetic gets kind of pricey, especially for a grad student . . . .

Are there any dinos out there that might be more cost effective but still have good extreme low-temp performance?

Pennzoil appears to have one of the best cold temperature performances of all the commonly available conventional oils.

What about doing like the old timers? Change your oil with the seasons. 0w-xx full synthetic for winter, 5w-xx semi-synthetic spring and fall and 10w-xx dino in the summer.

I do not have the number for the Pennzoil handy but if you want a good Canadian dino
canada.gif
look at the Petro Canada 5 w 30 Supreme
Pour point- 42°C or - 44°F
Borderline pumping -35°c - 31°f
Cold cranking 4310 Cp @ -30°c or - 22°f

In addition to the 5w30 Petro Canada sells a 0w30( marked as hydrocracked on the label, I saw it at station in Nova Scotia). There is also a Motomaster synthetic blend 0w30 available at Canadian Tire. It is often on sale for under $3.00 CDN. I don't know what its specs are though.

P.S. Wal-Mart Canada also sells its Tech 2000 line of synthetic oil in a 0w30 grade. I've read on this site that it might be made by Petro Canada and packaged by Safety-Kleen. I'm guessing this is the same 0w30 that P.C. is selling under its own name. I often see it at Wal-Mart for under $5.00 a litre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back