Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF or Amsoil ATF ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Actually, I'll be running a 50/50 mix of T-IV and M1 at my next oci, at 60,000 miles. I did one drain/fill at 40k, and it looked like it could use the refresh.

I'm having a hard time deciding between doing a drain and fill with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (new formula) or using Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF. Some folks here seem to be using Amsoil ATF with their older Toyota/Lexus cars, circa 2000, 2001, 2002. Would Amsoil ATF be advisable in a relatively newer Toyota like an '06 Camry with only 30,000 miles? It has the U250E transmission, I think.

Like Bepperb, I'll have a 50/50 mix of Toyota T-IV ATF and Amsoil ATF (or Mobil 1 ATF)--since no flushing; just drain-and-fill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
They are both excellent ATF's. Flip a coil. Price and availability would by my determining factor.

I agree. I've used the M1 ATF for atleast 15 years with good results. I'm sure either would be fine as Johnny says but I'd bet you'd find the M1 cheaper and available more readily.

This is for your Camry? If so, I would used T-1V which is the Toyoda approved fluid. You asked Mobil 1 or Amsol. I'd op for Amsoil but, either are exellnet fluids from what I've read.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
This is for your Camry? If so, I would used T-1V which is the Toyoda approved fluid. You asked Mobil 1 or Amsol. I'd op for Amsoil but, either are exellnet fluids from what I've read.

I'd love to stick with T-IV, if only there were a synthetic version :-(

I guess that's why I'm wondering if Mobil 1 or Amsoil ATF can harm a U250E or U151E transmission.

Since Mobil apparently makes Toyota T-IV ATF, which folks are saying is re-badged Mobil 3309, wouldn't Mobil be more likely than Amsoil to make a synthetic universal ATF that is more compatible with my transmission--maybe even incorporating a lot of 3309's requirements and specs in their universal ATF?

Last edited:
The editing time limit (15 minutes?) prevented me from adding the following to my above post:

I wonder what aspects of the T-IV / 3309 specs that Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is not meeting.

The lowest bid exclusivity spec!

Its a coin toss between Amsoil or Mobil1 or RoyalPurple or......

Redline D4 is more expensive than Mobil 1 but a much better fluid. It works very well in late model toyotas that spec T-IV. I use it in my 2006 Camry SE. The side benefit to a high quality T-IV replacement is that you can use it in the power steering as well.

Why dont you do a cooler line flush? A drain and fill will do little to show a difference between T-IV and whatever syn ATF you end up with. Trust me, been there done that in toyotas. A DIY flush is easy.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
They are both excellent ATF's. Flip a coil. Price and availability would by my determining factor.

I agree. I've used the M1 ATF for atleast 15 years with good results. I'm sure either would be fine as Johnny says but I'd bet you'd find the M1 cheaper and available more readily.

Possibly. My local AA sells M1 ATF for more than I do at retail. About $3/quart more. My local NAPA sells PZ synth GL4 gear oil for $20/quart. About double.

Where he might run into a difference would be if he ordered too little to soak up the minimum S&H.

#3309/T-IV is optimized for the Aisin transmission and Amsoil and Mobil 1 Syn are not. Check out the Mobil website.

Last edited:
FWIW I've used both Amsoil and Mobil 1 in the transmission in my F150. While both performed well, the Amsoil made the transmission shift slightly smoother and was not as discolored as the M1 after 30K.

I have used M1 ATF since the stuff first came out many years ago. Never had a failure with some high mileage trannys

Have you personally used Toyota T-IV? Optimized huh!?? Thats why most of use have found synthetic alternatives that perform much better than 3309/T-IV.
21.gif
In my opinion it is a very poor fluid as far as OEM's are concerned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Have you personally used Toyota T-IV? Optimized huh!?? Thats why most of use have found synthetic alternatives that perform much better than 3309/T-IV.
21.gif
In my opinion it is a very poor fluid as far as OEM's are concerned.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Possibly. My local AA sells M1 ATF for more than I do at retail. About $3/quart more. My local NAPA sells PZ synth GL4 gear oil for $20/quart. About double.

Where he might run into a difference would be if he ordered too little to soak up the minimum S&H.

I just bought a quart of the new Mobil 1 ATF at AAP for my PS sump. It cost almost $9 for the quart. Wally World doesn't carry Mobil 1 ATF anymore. When they did last year it was around $6/qt.

Whimsey

I just changed my sister's '06 Camry's tranny oil this weekend. The car has the U151E tranny and I used 8 quarts of Amsoil ATF. I drained 4 quarts out of the pan and put 4 quarts back into the tranny dipstick. After that, I started the car and threw the car into drive and idled for a good 3 minutes. Shut the car off and drained another 4 quarts from the pan.

Toyota builds great tranny. She has 42,000 miles on the vehicle and I barely notice any difference with the new tranny oil in the car.

-ttvr4

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whimsey

I just bought a quart of the new Mobil 1 ATF at AAP for my PS sump. It cost almost $9 for the quart. Wally World doesn't carry Mobil 1 ATF anymore. When they did last year it was around $6/qt.

Whimsey

Like it or not, WM sells almost everything for less than most stores' regular price. Only when other stores have it on sale and/or rebate(s), then the final price would be lower than WM's everyday price.

Few months ago I bought a couple quarts M1 ATF with Peak oil + Proline oil filter using PB $10 off $30 purchase, such that the final cost was about $8-$9 for 10 quarts oil + 2 filters + 2 quarts M1 ATF, after $19.98 rebate from Peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back