Mobil 1 SUV & Truck Formula!!! 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, no joke, more viscosities on the way. I went back and looked to see if they updated the story and found this.

quote:

Light Trucks
PR Newswire - First Call Wire (Darrin Talley) XOM XOM.N

ExxonMobil Introduces New Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Formula for Light Trucks
and Sport Utility Vehicles

Business Editors/Automotive Writers

FAIRFAX, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 4, 2003--

New Synthetic Truck & SUV Motor Oil Delivers Unsurpassed
Protection for Both Gasoline and Diesel Engines

From the lumber yard to soccer practice, light truck and sports
utility vehicle (SUV) owners ask a great deal from their tough,
versatile vehicles. Now the new Mobil 1(R) Truck & SUV Formula
synthetic motor oil gives these drivers outstanding engine protection
for their light trucks and SUVs in every kind of driving condition.
Designed for use in both gasoline and diesel engines, Mobil 1
Truck & SUV Formula protects hard-working truck and SUV engines in
high temperature conditions while delivering unsurpassed cold-start
Mobil 1 and ExxonMobil are trademarks of Exxon Mobil Corporation
or one of its subsidiaries.
protection. Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Formula uses special additives
designed specifically to keep light truck and SUV engines cleaner than
conventional motor oils by providing exceptional resistance to
high-temperature varnish and low temperature sludge deposits that can
dirty an engine and rob performance. It also provides outstanding wear
and corrosion protection for critical engine parts.
"With Americans buying approximately nine million new trucks and
SUVs every year, it was important for Mobil 1 to develop a product
that meets the distinct needs of SUV and truck engines and the driving
conditions their owners put them through," said Jeff Jones, lubricants
product manager, ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties. "Mobil 1 Truck
Formula is a high-performance motor oil for gasoline and diesel
engines, making it a one-stop solution for light truck and SUV owners
who want their motor oil to outperform all others."
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Formula will be available nationwide through a
wide range of retail and mass merchandisers, auto parts stores, Mobil
service stations, and some Exxon service stations beginning in early
Spring 2004. It will be available in the 5W-40 viscosity grade that
provides "5W" flow at low temperatures and "40" grade protection at
operating temperatures. Additional information about Mobil 1 and other
ExxonMobil lubricants can be found at www.exxonmobil.com.

--30--

Raymee Holshouser, 314-552-6721
or
ExxonMobil Media Line, 703-846-4467
First Call Corporation, a Thomson Financial company.
-0- Nov/04/2003 15:42 GMT
ä

Yes, it could just be D1.

Maybe I'm just new here. Why would a truck or SUV, for which the manufacturer recommends 5W-30 or 10W-30, require different oil than a car?
rolleyes.gif

Man...I thought (hoped?) Mobil was above the blatant mass marketing hype seen so frequently by other brands...RACING oil, maybe (given the API, fuel economy etc crap); SUV oil? C'mon!
nono.gif

Time to change brands...???
banghead.gif

Dr.T, just admitt it, Mobil 1 is awesome!
lol.gif

Switch brands, yeah that makes sense.
rolleyes.gif
When you look at what your getting for your $, you should be happy. At least it's a full synthetic unlike Quakerstates garbage.
wink.gif

[ November 04, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

When I read the post header I was thinking "Oh brother" another marketing scam, maybe maybe not. I wonder how different it will be from D1 or M1 0w40 (other than the label
grin.gif
). I myself am hoping for a relabeled D1, which makes sense because of the reluctance most people have to using a so called "deisel" oil in their gas-pot.

My complements to mobil, very wise move. It seems that there is a number of customers who are sceptical to the use of 0W-X oils(0W40) but on the other hand are willing to buy a european 5W40 .
By the intoduction of this new oil Mobil is trying to avoid any losses to the european oils.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Switch brands, yeah that makes sense.
rolleyes.gif
When you look at what your getting for your $, you should be happy. At least it's a full synthetic unlike Quakerstates garbage.
wink.gif

Prove that QS is not a full synthetic. Prove that it is garbage.

Mobil 1 is the only Group IV + V synthetic oil on the market. I shouldn't have used the words garbage, but my point was they are giving you a great product.

A 5w-40 M1 is awesome. It would be just another great choice for even Vettes, older cars or Jeep engines that like 40wt oils. I'm very happy with this.

[ November 04, 2003, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Groucho;
I doubt if Ex/Mob will get into the group III synthetic market with their own brand names.
Marketing looks at the trends in motoring.
A few years ago we saw the special "truck 4X4" lubricants show up.
Then "high milage" oils appeared.
If someone wants to pay $50K+ for a vehicle, they will pay an extra twenty bucks for an oil change using a special "SUV" synthetic.
Motorcycle oil for motorcycles, truck oils for trucks, boat oils for boats, and now suv oils for suv's.
Why change the formula when a label swap will do?
edit: gotta' have the right picture on the label so the people who can't read will buy the right stuff.
edit again: Buster, Mobil is not the only 4+5 synthetic on the market.

[ November 04, 2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

I'll use in in a few cars if it is ACEA A3 rated. Why call it SUV oil? Kinda discouraging. I was ready to go with D1 in a few of the cars that I service, if this stuff is A3, I'll use it...but how different can it be from 0w-40? Maybe Mobil IS reaching out to SUV owners to use an A3-type oil. (especially luxury SUVs like Rexus)

Has anyone seen a soccer mom pushing the limits of her SUV ?? That big V8 must be really working up some heat in order to get the kids to the game. Maybe the oil gets a real beating while she backs up 5 times to get the big thing into a parking space.

I don't know any new light duty truck or Suv that recommends a 5W-40. Most recommend 5W-20, 5W-30, or 10W-30. I wouldn't put this stuff in anything that is still under warrenty. Mobil has always told me to follow the manufacturer's recommendation on oil viscosity and this new weight goes against that.

Wayne

I hope Mobil will really have another 5W-40 in addition to D1. I don't care what they call it, as long as long as it's A3 and meets the specs my engine requires.

This is pure speculation, but VW has introduced the Touareg, Porsche has the Cayenne, BMW has the X5, and so on. I see a lot of these specific models on the road now, and it may well be that 5W-40 is the recommended viscosity for those engines. Does anybody know?

offtopic.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
That's sooo upsetting...and I was hoping for a 0W-10 SUV formula
lol.gif

I think you're on to something here...
0w-10 would be great for getting that extra 1 MPG! Let's see, that's 1 molecule thicker than water, so that would be H202. That's it! Hydrogen Peroxide! If it cleans wounds, it should be able to clean my engine! AND it would allow for meeting CAFE gas mileage requirements for years to come. Forget using ATF in the crankcase, from now on, it's H202!
grin.gif
lol.gif

buster wrote:

quote:

Mobil 1 is the only Group IV + V synthetic oil on the market.

buster, come on out with it...sometimes you just spew the strangest things.

And now you are the Mobil1 spokesmouth. How do you know how good this oil will hold up? I think the 0W-30 racing oil is a cover up for the ill fated initial Mobil1 0W-30. (and I'll be the first to say Mobil makes very few mistakes).

At least GC is doing OK in UOA's (I'm waiting for the racer dude who thinks it thickened reports) and some of us did a reasonable job holding our emotions in check until those GC UOA's came in.

You have no idea how much Mobil will charge for the R oil...let's just wait and see for that and the "SUV oil" to report in.

quote:

You have no idea how much Mobil will charge for the R oil

While I am glad Mobil 1 is bringing out the new 0w30R, I can't see it being that much of a better deal than GC right now. GC is already priced less than regular Mobil 1, and you know the racing Mobil 1 will be priced at least a buck or two higher.

So as far as bang for the buck goes, GC is still hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back