Mobil 1 SuperSyn and viscosity improvers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've e-mailed Mobil about this twice over the past two months and have yet to get a reply, so I thought maybe someone here might know. Are there any Mobil 1 grades that don't have any viscosity improvers added? On the Mobil 1 motorcycyle web site they state explicitly that the V-Twin 20w50 grade has none. It would seem to me then that Mobil 1 SuperSyn 15w50 and 10w30 wouldn't have any either. I can see where the 0w grades probably would.

Has anyone ever gotten any data from Mobil on this?

[ November 18, 2002, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: XHVI ]

I have no data, but I don't think the 0W-30 has VI's - why do you think it does?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I have no data, but I don't think the 0W-30 has VI's - why do you think it does?
confused.gif

Because the 0wXX would have to start with a lower viscosity base oil than the 10w30 and 15w50. Plus, the 0w30 would need to cover a 30 point spread and the 0w40 would need to cover a 40 pt spread. (And the only mention of VI improvers on the Mobil 1 SuperSyn site is to say that Mobil 1 requires "less" VI improver than other oils. This would indicate to me that at least some Mobil 1 grades have VI improvers, though I wouldn't think all grades would need it.)

(When I e-mailed Shell about VI improvers in the Rotella T Synthetic, they said that even with the high VI of the XHVI base oil the 5w40 still needs a small amount of VI improver.)

A couple comments from observing true synthetic motor oils over the last few years. Most can do a 30 point spread no questions asked. Some can do 35 points. 40 makes me worry. Again I don't have every body's numbers in front of me....

As for Shell Rotella that still has a goodly percentage of hydrocracked base - a good variety but still would need some VI's to make the 35 point spread.

I assume the 0W's are an appropriate blend of IV's and V's to get the 0W and 30 as required.

XHVI,

Any 0w-40 I've ever seen had VI modifiers ...you don't get a VI of 195-205 from basestock alone.

Pablo,

Try running the M1, 0w-30 or the Series 2000, 0w-30 for 4000-6000 miles in one of these Toyota V-6 engines and then do an oil analysis on it. You will see they both shear down by 10%-20% in this application.

Tooslick
quote:

Try running the M1, 0w-30 or the Series 2000, 0w-30 for 4000-6000 miles in one of these Toyota V-6 engines and then do an oil analysis on it. You will see they both shear down by 10%-20% in this application.

I don't doubt that. Are you saying this because they both have VI's???

Pablo,

That would be my conclusion ....

Almost any synthetic but a 10w-30 is going to use some VI improver now days. I can remember when Amsoil introduced their 10w-30 back in 1984, it didn't use any VI modifier. However the VI was only 146 for that stuff and it was 10 Cst @ 100C, rather than the 11.9 Cst it is today. You can make a 5w-30 or 10w-30 without the VI modifier, but you are going to take a hit on low temp properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back