Mobil 1 SS on sale at target for $3.39 a quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is at Target. Not sure how long the sale will last or how long it has been. When they had havoline for 0.68 cents a quart, I stocked up. Now Target doesn't carry havoline and I suspect once Mobil 1 is gone, they won't carry it anymore. Target seems to want to get out of carrying Oil.
frown.gif
I know they stopped carrying the champion made car and driver oil filters the past couple of months. I heard others say they got a good deal at .25 cents a filter when they were on clearance. I missed that one. I'm just passing info to fellow oil enthusiasts
cheers.gif

Unless Target is eliminating Mobil 1 (not terribly unlikely these days
frown.gif
), or has a national sale in the ads, you won't find a "national" price on this stuff. Most likely they are price matching against local competition.

I have three Targets within five miles, and all three have different prices for Mobil 1 - but if you go to Kmart or Wal-mart nearby, you'll find that Targets price matches the neighbors price or is slighlty lower. Current rate on Mobil 1 ranges between 4.39 and 4.99 as of a week ago.

OK, so if they're fluctuating the price anywhere from $3.39 to $5.29, what does that mean they're actually paying for the oil? (I'm guessing around $2/qt, based on my past experiences with wholesale-vs-retail pricing.)

quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:
OK, so if they're fluctuating the price anywhere from $3.39 to $5.29, what does that mean they're actually paying for the oil? (I'm guessing around $2/qt, based on my past experiences with wholesale-vs-retail pricing.)

Mobil 1 doesn't seem to be popular here in Memphis. I always see the 5 quart jugs at walmart for $18.88. I go to walmart alot too to get groceries.
grin.gif
I've gone to all of them in town. The singe mobil 1 quarts at walmart are around $4.77ish. So the target price of $3.39 a quart shocked me. There is a guy on the edmunds board saying he saw the $3.39 mobil 1 quart sale too but he's in Michigan.

Which Target in Memphis has M1 for $3.39/qt? BTW, I can't agree M1 in Memphis isn't popular. Was by Walmart Supercenter in Cordova the other day and all the M1 10w-30 5qt jugs were sold out with 3 5w-30 jugs remaining. Further, all of AutoZone's 12+ Memphis area stores, Advance Auto and O'Reillys are always well stocked on M1. I doubt they would all carry so much of M1 (including 0w-40 and 0w-30) if it didn't sell well. The AutoZone stores here even carry the M1 motorcycle oil in both grades.

My experience with Target is that they "dump" their stock of M1 occasionally. I've seen it twice at one store. They drop the price to $3.39 and empty the shelves of the current stock. Then, they get new stock and put the price back to what it was before.

Apparently, the Wal-Mart near it was price checking Target when they did this as their M1 price is now $3.38 per qt (the case is still $28.xx).

It's just a sale, just like Wal-Mart had the 5-quart jugs on sale the other week. They've gotta stay competitive. Target is not getting out of oil retail business. Have you heard of a term "loss leader"?

BTW, the Target near me also carries M1 for $3.39 right now. Too bad they don't sell the 0w-40 grade.

quote:

Originally posted by nick778:
Which Target in Memphis has M1 for $3.39/qt? BTW, I can't agree M1 in Memphis isn't popular. Was by Walmart Supercenter in Cordova the other day and all the M1 10w-30 5qt jugs were sold out with 3 5w-30 jugs remaining. Further, all of AutoZone's 12+ Memphis area stores, Advance Auto and O'Reillys are always well stocked on M1. I doubt they would all carry so much of M1 (including 0w-40 and 0w-30) if it didn't sell well. The AutoZone stores here even carry the M1 motorcycle oil in both grades.

Target on Germantown Parkway in the Wolfchase Galleria area. You should try the Raleigh Walmart on Austin Peay Highway if your ever that way. I was there today, I counted 45 $18.88 Mobil 1 5 qt containers.

With Targets push into the grocery world with Supertargets, it certainly would not be surprsing if they got out of the oil business. Compared to what they used to carry, they practically have for all intensive purposes gotten out of carrying automotive items.

Just five years ago, I used to buy oil by the case at Target, had a choice of six or seven brands of oil, a choice of four or five brands of oil filters, a nice selection of air fitlers (even if they were frams), etc... Even 6 months ago, there were at least five brands of motor oil availible. Our new and "improved" Supertargets in this area now have approximately 1 1/2 small aisles devoted to car items. 1 is full of car wash and cleaning supplies. 1 is gadgets (cell phone holders, fuzzy dice, sterring wheel covers, etc, and the last 1/2 is the current selection of automotive fluids - which consists of Mobil 1, Penzoil Dino, and the Car and Driver Brand oils. Thats it.

Target is removing themselves from the Automotive supplies segment of the market as part of its imaging as an "upscale" discounter and ceding this low profit segment of the market to Wal-Mart and Automotive specialty stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back