Mobil 1 smell (SS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I recall where I remember that scent... Mobil Drive Clean before they went to the new packaging.

Does anyone else remember that smell?

Before G-Man 2 replies thinking I'm trying to say M1 SS is a Group III - I'm just recalling where I remember the M1 SS smell.

Pennzoil PureBase smells like popcorn and M1 drive clean had a real unique scent. M1 SS also has this scent - I wonder if some of the additives are the same?

Mobil 1 SS smells great. It smells like candy! I love the smell, and the exhaust smell is delightful, too!
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Now I recall where I remember that scent... Mobil Drive Clean before they went to the new packaging.

Does anyone else remember that smell?

Yes, I remember it distinctly. And the Mobil Drive Clean I've "sniffed" smelled nothing like Mobil 1 SuperSyn.

I can't describe it becuase it doesn't resemble any food that we'd normally eat, but Mobil Drive Clean had a very strong odor and you can smell maybe 1/4 to 1/2 that amount in M1 SS.

I don't inhale the fumes from the bottle, I just take a sniff of it and it's got a similar odor to Mobil Drive Clean.

If you crack open a bottle of Chevron Techron and Pennzoil PureBase, neither of the 2 resemble one another.

[ August 22, 2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:

Mobil 1 SS smells great. It smells like candy! I love the smell, and the exhaust smell is delightful, too!

Maybe one day we'll have a Great American Oil Festival like they do the beer-tasting festivals. You'd pay $5 bucks to get in, and be able to take a whiff of couple hundred different designer oil "brews".
smile.gif

[ August 22, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Rexman ]

One of the things I really love about drag racing is all the different smells:

-burnt tire rubber
-high octane fuel
-engine oil mixed with fuel
-the smell of the synthetic materials inside my Snell M2000 helmet
-the smell of sweat mixed with fuel and tire rubber inside the helmet

Speaking of smells, I put the German Castrol in my Firebird this afternoon, and I still can't see why you guys say it smells like gummibears.

Speaking of gummibears, last night the Petro Can refinery here in Mississauga had an explosion and fire, and when talking about it on the radio, they mentioned that in addition to making motor oils, greases and other such lubricants there, they also make "white oils" which are used to make gummibears!!
smile.gif

...everyone has those olfactory remembrances that bring to mind the pleasantness of days gone by, but just give me a sunny afternoon by the ocean, a quart of German Castrol (a little bit goes a long way, an atomizer and a gentle breeze, and I'll fill the world with smiles...
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

Speaking of gummibears, last night the Petro Can refinery here in Mississauga had an explosion and fire, and when talking about it on the radio, they mentioned that in addition to making motor oils, greases and other such lubricants there, they also make "white oils" which are used to make gummibears!!

Son of a gun! Maybe that's the secret ingredient in German Castrol--good old *gummibear juice"!
wink.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Speaking of smells, I put the German Castrol in my Firebird this afternoon, and I still can't see why you guys say it smells like gummibears.
smile.gif

I agree, Patman; don't you find it smells more like a vinyard in the Rhineland on a warm, late-August afternoon?
grin.gif
(Now that THE ELIXIR is here, oil changes won't be a duty, they will be an event!)
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ August 22, 2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

And I thought I was the only one who sniffs each bottle of oil after I crack it open.
I must admit that I love the smell of Mobil 1 SS. If there is there a better smelling oil out there, please tell me.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by harrydog:
I must admit that I love the smell of Mobil 1 SS. If there is there a better smelling oil out there, please tell me.
smile.gif

The German Castrol 0w30. Best smelling oil around, bar none. JMHO.

G-Man II,

When it comes to advanced olfactory discrimination sensitivity (AODS) you are without peer...I endorse your declaration regarding the Elixir.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by harrydog:
smile.gif

The German Castrol 0w30. Best smelling oil around, bar none. JMHO.

I would have to say that Motul takes the cake. They add a chemical branded as techniodor to give the oil a unique smell, so it cannot be mistaken for anything else.

I think Mobil has hired a behaviorist/psychologist to find the most appealing smell for the human population. Once they decided a smell, they injected it into the mixture with the hopes that people would become addicted to sniffing the freshly opened bottle before dumping it in their beloved vehicle. In essence, this is prob. just another merketing tactic put forth by another corperation. Hey, if human pheramones work, why not put some in the motor oil? Maybe soon enough we'll all become addicted to the smell and need patches or gum to quit.
tongue.gif

Yeah, the beauty of smell is that unlike visual images, it bypasses altogether the neo-cortex and runs fairly straight to the amygdala.

If advertisers ever create a scent synthesizer and put it in a TV, we'd all be walking around Wally World like zombies. Then again, it would sure make TV more realistic. Can you imagine an NFL football game...

[ August 29, 2003, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: ex_MGB ]

quote:

Originally posted by sub_zero:
I would have to say that Motul takes the cake. They add a chemical branded as techniodor to give the oil a unique smell, so it cannot be mistaken for anything else.

OK, we're all waiting...what does it smell like? Unless it smells like bearnaise sauce, I'm sticking with the Castrol as numero uno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back