Mobil 1 Site on Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang, This may be a redundant post on this, but in the profile of the New 5w-40, nothing is mentioned of it's All-Fleet use. No Gasoline specs. like SM, mentioned. Whatya think?
dunno.gif

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

My take is they just don't want to confuse non-BITOGers with the facts.
grin.gif

It might not be SM and if it showed SL on the bottle, some might think it inferior when actually is is superior to an SM oil for the type of engine it is designed for - diesel. Older engines will run it happily, but you start getting technical, you begin to confuse people. Just a guess on my part, but is seems logical.
dunno.gif

I am afraid that with the new label, people will be less willing to use/buy it and then Walmart will not sell it anymore
frown.gif

How long will it be before they have a "Chevy" oil, a "Ford" oil, and a "Dodge" oil?

I suspect that when somebody submits a virgin sample for analysis, we will find this is the same product as the old T&SUV in 5w-40

quote:

Originally posted by k1xv:

I suspect that when somebody submits a virgin sample for analysis, we will find this is the same product as the old T&SUV in 5w-40

i believe the same. i have not seen the turbo diesel 5w40 in walmart yet. i would bet that walmart will not carry it because it is more of a niche oil now. according to mobil it is a diesel only oil. that eliminates a large number of walmart customers. walmart does have rotella but rotella carries a gas rating as well as the diesel rating.

quote:

Originally posted by racer12306:

quote:

Originally posted by k1xv:

i believe the same. i have not seen the turbo diesel 5w40 in walmart yet. i would bet that walmart will not carry it because it is more of a niche oil now. according to mobil it is a diesel only oil. that eliminates a large number of walmart customers. walmart does have rotella but rotella carries a gas rating as well as the diesel rating.

Wal Mart has been carrying M1 5W40 for about a month now here in the Northeast. Price has gone from $20.17 5/qt. jug for the old inventory to $25.72 when it first came out now it is about $1 more at $26.??. It will become like the 7500 semi syn - unobtanium, if it doesn't sell.

So, what now? As a general rule, you shall not use in gas engines oil that's for diesel engines -- unless this oil has a dual rating. Unfortunately, the new T&SUV 5W-40 does not have the dual rating. While some folks have reported that Mobil claims this is still the same oil as the old T&SUV, I wonder how you feel abut using it in a gas engine? In other words, can we trust that what we are told unofficially, or should we go by the book and not use this oil in our gas engines?

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
In other words, can we trust that what we are told unofficially, or should we go by the book and not use this oil in our gas engines?

This is the question I have. Hopefully some VOAs get done once the "new" stuff hits the shelf and we can figure it out. I've got enough of the "old" T&SUV to last for the rest of the year, but I'd definitely be happier knowing I can count on using the "new" stuff in the future.

jeff

SL is superceded but not obsolete.. SH would be an example of obsolete. As long as there are API approved oils still made SL then it is still an active rating. There are 2006 vehicle engines on the new lost such as the Toyota 4.0 v-6 I looked at last week that have a minimum requirement of SL still. SL may not be obsolete for a very long time due to the "all fleet" demand

This is the consumer branded Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40, which means it meets the now obsolete API gasoline engine standards SL,SJ and the API diesel engine standards CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF.

Current gasoline engines require an API SM oil.

There is an additive that shows up as magnesium in elemental analysis of this oil which is not used in the Mobil 1 products meeting the API SM requirements.

It's also a higher viscosity than most manufacturers recommend for gasoline engines currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back