Mobil 1/Rotella Synth brew, 1994 Kawasaki ZX-11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was curious if my bike would benefit in any way if the viscocity of the oil stayed a 40 weight during it's use. So I mixed one quart of Mobil 1 EP 15W-50 with 2.5 quarts of Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 for this run. Yeah, it had a higher viscocity than if it was just a 40, but wear didn't seem to improve.
code:

Miles on oil ~800

Miles on Unit 38190

Sump capacity 3.5 quarts

Make-up 0

Fe 14

Cr 1

Pb 1

Cu 8

Sn 0

Al 10

Ni 0

Ag 0

Si 7

B 74

Na 0

Mg 88

Ca 3288

Ba 0

P 1344

Zn 1630

Mo 32

Ti 0

Va 0

K 0

Fuel
Visc@100 13.07

Water 0

Glycol Neg

TBN 10.05

quote:

Originally posted by sunruh:
which previous oil are you compairing it to when you say "wear didn't improve"?

All of the oils I have so far used. This report is roughly the same as, or clearly worse than, my reports on M1 T&SUV, Delvac 1, Rotella T synth alone, Amsoil, GC even. I appreciate the fact that 5 or 10 ppm might be the margin of error from one report to the next, but shoot, even my GC report looks much better!

Craigq, redline is an indicated 11500 rpm, I'll on ocassion take it up tp 10 or so, rarely is there much need. It used to regularly get between 40 and 42 mpg, it seems to have jumped recently, I get a hair over 44 mpg now. I did three things which coincided with the jump so I don't know which may be responsible; installed Denso Iridium spark plugs, Installed a K&N air filter, put in Redline 10W-40.

quote:

Originally posted by sunruh:
many things come to mind.

maybe the M1 added "extra" cleaning and that is why the higher values?
maybe m1 and srt synth don't place nice together?
maybe RL will show better or not?
it is supposed to super clean, what will be your thoughts be if it produces even higher values?

I am excited to see how Redline performs. Someone has to hook me up with a cheaper source though; I ordered it from Summit and paid over $10 a quart after "handling" charges. I suppose I might have to run it 3 or 4 times in case I experience some famous Redline cleaning.

many things come to mind.

maybe the M1 added "extra" cleaning and that is why the higher values?
maybe m1 and srt synth don't place nice together?
maybe RL will show better or not?
it is supposed to super clean, what will be your thoughts be if it produces even higher values?

quote:

Originally posted by nicrfe1370:
I am excited to see how Redline performs. Someone has to hook me up with a cheaper source though; I ordered it from Summit and paid over $10 a quart after "handling" charges. I suppose I might have to run it 3 or 4 times in case I experience some famous Redline cleaning.

Check out http://www.myoilshop.com/ for discount Red Line sales. That's where I buy mine from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back